Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:22 am

DS11 minor with first time passport
Submitted with routine processing fee but website said "you requested expedited service", so not sure which process it went through.

3/13: Appointment in person at acceptance facility
3/19: In Process (locator code 69)
4/01 (Fri): "Shipped" via Priority Mail w/ tracking number
4/04 (Mon): Accepted by USPS in Arkansas
4/07: Expected delivery

10 days to process, 25 days door to door.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Applied for Renewal using routine service
  • Mailed: 3/18/2022 to Irving Texas
  • Delivered: 3/21/2022
  • In Process: Status showed application was active starting 3/28/2022
  • Check Cleared: 3/29/2022
  • Approved/Shipped: 4/6/2022
  • Received: 4/9/2022
I registered for email notifications but I never received any updates. I was surprised by the USPS Priority Mail envelope in my box this morning.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 2:06 pm

Did you receive a NexGen (new type) passport?
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by tmnyc
Did you receive a NexGen (new type) passport?
I'm not sure what a NexGen passport looks like. It seems to be just like my old passport (with the RFID biometrics).
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I'm not sure what a NexGen passport looks like. It seems to be just like my old passport (with the RFID biometrics).
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-passport.html
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:41 am

I don't think I got a new format of the book. I didn't see any of the new features/artifacts on the picture page. So it will be another 10 years for me.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Thanks for posting this helpful information. Quick turnaround!

What were the first two digits of your application locator number? These numbers indicate in which passport office your application was examined and approved (where your scanned application was sent after being received in the big PO Box in Irving).

From where was your new passport mailed to you?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
Thanks for posting this helpful information. Quick turnaround!

What were the first two digits of your application locator number? These numbers indicate in which passport office your application was examined and approved (where your scanned application was sent after being received in the big PO Box in Irving).

From where was your new passport mailed to you?
I don't have the locator number. I always used the online status query. My new book was mailed from Passport Service Dos Tuscon. At least that is what the USPS Informed Delivery says.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I don't have the locator number. I always used the online status query. My new book was mailed from Passport Service Dos Tuscon. At least that is what the USPS Informed Delivery says.
OK. That means your passport was printed in Tucson (one of the two big US passport printing plants -- the other is in Hot Springs, Arkansas). But some US passports are printed elsewhere. If you have a record of any of the online status queries you made, the query returns your locator number. Look for it in the status message. The first two digits tell you in which office your application was examined and approved. Since yours was a renewal application, I believe your old passport will be mailed back to you from that office.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
OK. That means your passport was printed in Tucson (one of the two big US passport printing plants -- the other is in Hot Springs, Arkansas). But some US passports are printed elsewhere. If you have a record of any of the online status queries you made, the query returns your locator number. Look for it in the status message. The first two digits tell you in which office your application was examined and approved. Since yours was a renewal application, I believe your old passport will be mailed back to you from that office.
Never made a copy of any of the status queries. Actually I am amazed at the turnaround time. We are travelling in August and I had read so many horror stories about the time required for a renewal that my wife and I applied earlier than we normally would.

On a side note, I wish passports worked like GE Pass IDs. Where you are assigned a permanent number and you can apply for renewal at any tim up to a year before expirations and your new book is good for 10 years after the old book's expiration date.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Renewing US passport

Hello everyone,
I have to renew my passport. Here's what the timeline is looking like for my renewal so far (note: my request is expedited):

4/8: Mailed off passport at a local USPS here in the NW suburbs of Chicago via USPS priority mail (~$9)
4/11: Passport app arrived in Philly
Today (4/13): My check was cashed and my app is trackable in the system, locator #69.

I'll update the thread as more milestones happen.

I'm also running a contest between German and US passport authorities as I had to renew my German passport last summer. It took my German passport around 29 days to be renewed. We'll see who wins (my prediction is that Germany will, but we will see).

Best,
Erica
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:56 am

Applied for Renewal using Routine service
• Mailed: 3/12/22 via USPS
• Delivered: 3/15/22

• Check cashed and processing as of 3/24/22
​​​
Status changed to Approved as of 4/14/22 (delivery estimated by 4/16)

Will Update the rest as it comes
Old Apr 14, 2022, 12:43 pm

DS82 adult with recently expired passport
Submitted for routine service + routine mailing

3/7: Mailed via Priority Mail
3/9: Delivered to Irving, Texas
3/17: In Process (locator code 69)
4/11: Approved, "expected 4/18" (no tracking number given)
4/15: arrived in mailbox

25 days in processing, 39 days door to door

(edited to reflect actual arrival date)

Last edited by threeoh; Apr 15, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by braveheart_10010
Applied for Renewal using Routine service
• Mailed: 3/12/22 via USPS
• Delivered: 3/15/22

• Check cashed and processing as of 3/24/22
​​​
Status changed to Approved as of 4/14/22 (delivery estimated by 4/16)

Will Update the rest as it comes
Thanks for the update. Did you mail your application to Philadelphia or Irving? What are the first two digits of your locator code? Those two digits indicate where your application was processed and approved (see the key at the top of this page). When you receive your passport, we passport geeks would love to know whether it is a Next Gen (new style) passport or the current (since ~2007) style (aka E-passport), and from where it was mailed (and printed -- typically Tucson AZ or Hot Springs AR).
Old Apr 16, 2022, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
DS82 adult with recently expired passport
Submitted for routine service + routine mailing

3/7: Mailed via Priority Mail
3/9: Delivered to Irving, Texas
3/17: In Process (locator code 69)
4/11: Approved, "expected 4/18" (no tracking number given)
4/15: arrived in mailbox

25 days in processing, 39 days door to door

(edited to reflect actual arrival date)
Thanks for the timely update.
NextGen passport?
Large book (50-52 pages) or regular (26-28 pages)?
Mailed to you from where?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.