Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

The consolidated US Rant Thread ("I'm mad / I hate / How could they? . .")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:54 pm

Welcome to flyertalk. What airline is your ticket stock on. In other words if you had a printed ticket what airline issued the ticket. The number code on the ticket number will help you. I hope you do not have one of those combo tickets bought online. Now to solve your problem I would call the airline who issued the ticket. In todays world the people on the phone can often do more for you than the people on the ground. Try and relax as I guess your issues are weather related
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Centurion
Try and relax as I guess your issues are weather related
May have been related to a systems issue. Somebody on the AA board reported that US was boarding flights manually at JFK due to computer problems.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
May have been related to a systems issue. Somebody on the AA board reported that US was boarding flights manually at JFK due to computer problems.
Yes, there were system-wide computer/server issues at US Airways today (Feb 22nd). It caused huge delays for several flights. Trust me when I say it was very frustrating for everyone: passengers, pilots, agents, and all ground service providers.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by hufftheweevil
Yes, there were system-wide computer/server issues at US Airways today (Feb 22nd). It caused huge delays for several flights. Trust me when I say it was very frustrating for everyone: passengers, pilots, agents, and all ground service providers.
Frustrating, maybe, but doesn't excuse poor service/attitude.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by parasadn
Three cancelled flights later (and 24 hours past my original time of arrival in Toronto), and I'm still stuck in New York. Worst travel experience ever. I wandered around JFK airport for about 6 hours, bounced from desk to desk, as various people tried to figure out my ticket. Part of the issue is that nobody wanted to take responsibility for solving the problem, but the other part was that there was a technical error with my ticket, which locked the whole thing up. It was like being stuck in a loop, with no way to break out of the system, because the computer had a box ticked that nobody knew how to un-tick. There is nothing worse than being held hostage by technology. And incompetent US Airways and Delta Airlines agents who act like they don't give a sh*t. Never flying with them again, that's for sure.
Was all these delay because of weather?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Frustrating, maybe, but doesn't excuse poor service/attitude.
Don't automatically assume the service/attitude was poor. Sometimes when customer service agents are limited in terms of what they can do or are having system issues beyond their control, they could be as sweet as pie, but the customer still takes it as poor service or attitude.

Lets just keep this in perspective.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is cross-posted from the US thread. Which thread did you mean to post in?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Need the exact details from OP. Simply using an obscenity to describe views of how one was treated does not inform the situation.

As others note, it is often the case that when an agent cannot do anything and is simply blunt about it, that people take that as either a poor attitude or incompetence. It often is neither, but is a reality to accept. "Sorry, I can't help" you is better than "let me keep tapping away for 10 more minutes while the 20 people behind you in line stew, just so that you can feel that I was more helpful."
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by parasadn
Three cancelled flights later (and 24 hours past my original time of arrival in Toronto), and I'm still stuck in New York. Worst travel experience ever. I wandered around JFK airport for about 6 hours, bounced from desk to desk, as various people tried to figure out my ticket. Part of the issue is that nobody wanted to take responsibility for solving the problem, but the other part was that there was a technical error with my ticket, which locked the whole thing up. It was like being stuck in a loop, with no way to break out of the system, because the computer had a box ticked that nobody knew how to un-tick. There is nothing worse than being held hostage by technology. And incompetent US Airways and Delta Airlines agents who act like they don't give a sh*t. Never flying with them again, that's for sure.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Cross-posting (making identical posts in different threads or fora) is not permitted on FlyerTalk, so we've merged your original thread and post into this one (where you had posted appropriately) and deleted thevduplicate post.

You may want to read over the Rules we all agreed to uphold when we were granted membership privileges; they're helpful in learning what best practices are suggested, and what is deemed appropriate posting behavior, in this moderated BBS.

You'll find many very knowledgeable, helpful members here, if you share enough details so they can zero in (details like which airline issued the ticket, etc.)

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:28 am

Looking at that day all of the US/AA flights operated while Delta flights were cancelled.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'm not paricularly thrilled about what happened with F on a USX flight last night.

Granted it was a short PHL-BWI flight, but it was more the principle behind it than the seat. And plus, it was likely my last flight as a CP, so it would have been nice to end a more positive note.

I ended up getting a Y seat on an earlier flight than what I was booked on. I asked to be added to the upgrade list even though F was full, as a just in case.

Well, F didn't show up full. Only 4 of 8 seats were brought up. They brought a pilot up front, and then pulled 3 people up front from the very back. Since it was an E175, weight and balance was the reason I was given.

I ended up having a 2 section to myself, so it's not like I was hurting, but it was still annoying that they brought up nonstatus pax and put them in F rather than moving a few elites up front from the front of Y. There were seats available.

Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but it was just annoying in how it was handled.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Superguy
I'm not paricularly thrilled about what happened with F on a USX flight last night.

Granted it was a short PHL-BWI flight, but it was more the principle behind it than the seat. And plus, it was likely my last flight as a CP, so it would have been nice to end a more positive note.

I ended up getting a Y seat on an earlier flight than what I was booked on. I asked to be added to the upgrade list even though F was full, as a just in case.

Well, F didn't show up full. Only 4 of 8 seats were brought up. They brought a pilot up front, and then pulled 3 people up front from the very back. Since it was an E175, weight and balance was the reason I was given.

I ended up having a 2 section to myself, so it's not like I was hurting, but it was still annoying that they brought up nonstatus pax and put them in F rather than moving a few elites up front from the front of Y. There were seats available.

Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but it was just annoying in how it was handled.
I would be too, there's a right way to do things and a wrong way... this was definitely the wrong way. And doing it the right way would have been easy...
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:29 am

My son (2 year old) is travelling with my mother (73 year old) from DCA -> MCO.
Flight ticket purchased online in First Class (non-refundable). flight was yesterday at 2:59pm. Flight was cancelled.

USAir agent rebooked them for this morning at 8:40am. 2 seats (next to each other), 1st class. This flight was cancelled at 5:00am this morning.

Now they are on an 11:25 flight this morning in coach.

When I asked the Agent on the phone about how to refund (or Credit Voucher) the difference between Coach and First I was told there would NOT be one.

Apparently my fare code was "coach" with a "Web" upgrade to first, and that was disclosed to me when i purchased. I questioned her comment, and she claims "non-refundable" means its not truly a first class ticket, but a coach ticket with an instant "web" purchase upgrade to first, and as such does not qualify for a refund or voucher.

For grins, i just went online and purchased the same ticket for 3 weeks from today, NO WHERE on their website does it mention anything about coach fare with this so called "web" upgrade.

Do I have a legitimate argument here for a refund? (they did cancel 2 flights) If so, what/how much should I ask for? and lastly, do I submit the request online via their Contact us -> compliments/complaints form?

I wish there was a way with words I could convey the amount of steam coming out of my ears right now...

Any thoughts from this forum is much appreciated.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ntoflp
My son (2 year old) is travelling with my mother (73 year old) from DCA -> MCO.
Flight ticket purchased online in First Class (non-refundable). flight was yesterday at 2:59pm. Flight was cancelled.

USAir agent rebooked them for this morning at 8:40am. 2 seats (next to each other), 1st class. This flight was cancelled at 5:00am this morning.

Now they are on an 11:25 flight this morning in coach.

When I asked the Agent on the phone about how to refund (or Credit Voucher) the difference between Coach and First I was told there would NOT be one.

Apparently my fare code was "coach" with a "Web" upgrade to first, and that was disclosed to me when i purchased. I questioned her comment, and she claims "non-refundable" means its not truly a first class ticket, but a coach ticket with an instant "web" purchase upgrade to first, and as such does not qualify for a refund or voucher.

For grins, i just went online and purchased the same ticket for 3 weeks from today, NO WHERE on their website does it mention anything about coach fare with this so called "web" upgrade.

Do I have a legitimate argument here for a refund? (they did cancel 2 flights) If so, what/how much should I ask for? and lastly, do I submit the request online via their Contact us -> compliments/complaints form?

I wish there was a way with words I could convey the amount of steam coming out of my ears right now...

Any thoughts from this forum is much appreciated.
I understand your frustration. I would start by calling back and speaking to a different agent. That alone might get you results. If necessary ask to speak with a supervisor. If that doesn't work then, yes, I would use the online complaint form and see where that gets you.

Looking at a ticket 3 weeks from now doesn't really help much as it could be a different fare code than the one you purchased. The part about non-refundable meaning it's not a first class ticket is not correct. They have non-refundable first class tickets that are not "economy with an upgrade". Whether or not that's what you got would depend on the fare basis you purchased. And even if that is what you purchased, I've no doubt you weren't made aware of it.

See if you have your original confirmation email and look for the fare basis. It'll look something like SA14ZNJ1. Not your confirmation number which might look similar.

If all that fails, you could try disputing the charge with your credit card. You paid for first class (presumably your confirmation email says first class) so you have that as proof and US didn't give you the product you paid for. Do you know if they told her or if she happened to ask when the next flight was that had availability in first class? She could have chosen to wait for that flight but I understand it might not have been practical or convenient.

This whole "oh you purchased an economy fare with an instant upgrade" is somewhat underhanded in my opinion. I understand why the airlines might do it but at the end of the day how they choose to sell a first class ticket is up to them but I think they need to stand behind the product they sold.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
These kinds of tickets will book into First based on same fare class availability; if a person wishes to wait for availability, it might require a day, two or more; if one wants to fly on the next available flight, regardless of availability, one will fly coach.

This is generally revealed in the detailed fare rules. It has happened to me: I chose to fly coach on the next available flight rather than overnight on my own account and fly the next afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.