Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

The consolidated US Rant Thread ("I'm mad / I hate / How could they? . .")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated US Rant Thread ("I'm mad / I hate / How could they? . .")

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ntoflp
My son (2 year old) is travelling with my mother (73 year old) from DCA -> MCO.
Flight ticket purchased online in First Class (non-refundable). flight was yesterday at 2:59pm. Flight was cancelled.

USAir agent rebooked them for this morning at 8:40am. 2 seats (next to each other), 1st class. This flight was cancelled at 5:00am this morning.

Now they are on an 11:25 flight this morning in coach.

When I asked the Agent on the phone about how to refund (or Credit Voucher) the difference between Coach and First I was told there would NOT be one.

Apparently my fare code was "coach" with a "Web" upgrade to first, and that was disclosed to me when i purchased. I questioned her comment, and she claims "non-refundable" means its not truly a first class ticket, but a coach ticket with an instant "web" purchase upgrade to first, and as such does not qualify for a refund or voucher.

For grins, i just went online and purchased the same ticket for 3 weeks from today, NO WHERE on their website does it mention anything about coach fare with this so called "web" upgrade.

Do I have a legitimate argument here for a refund? (they did cancel 2 flights) If so, what/how much should I ask for? and lastly, do I submit the request online via their Contact us -> compliments/complaints form?

I wish there was a way with words I could convey the amount of steam coming out of my ears right now...

Any thoughts from this forum is much appreciated.
The agent was correct, the Non-refundable FC fares are Y-up fares, they are coach tickets that book into F, however, the issue with these flights are if the orginal flight is cancelled like what happened with your mother and son, then the passangers are book into the orignal class (which would be coach) unless a Y-up fare if avalible on the flight in which the agent is rebooking them on. There is a reason why the tickets are less then a fully refunded FC ticket. The other issue here, AA does not have Y-up fares. So US can not book them on a AA flight in , and if they do they will be booked in Y.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The agent was correct, the Non-refundable FC fares are Y-up fares, they are coach tickets that book into F, however, the issue with these flights are if the orginal flight is cancelled like what happened with your mother and son, then the passangers are book into the orignal class (which would be coach) unless a Y-up fare if avalible on the flight in which the agent is rebooking them on. There is a reason why the tickets are less then a fully refunded FC ticket. The other issue here, AA does not have Y-up fares. So US can not book them on a AA flight in , and if they do they will be booked in Y.
AA absolutely has UP fares... fares with a coach (Y) basis that automatically book in to A or P... I buy them all the time.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krlcomm
AA absolutely has UP fares... fares with a coach (Y) basis that automatically book in to A or P... I buy them all the time.
ARe these speicals or are they found when looking up flights? US web page was very easy to find them since they are the non refundable FC tickets
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
ARe these speicals or are they found when looking up flights? US web page was very easy to find them since they are the non refundable FC tickets
They are found when looking up flights, not readily transparent on the website but when you see the actual fare basis on the ticket it's a Y basis fare that books in to the A or P class. The cheapest ones are P. On aa.com they just show as non-refundable F.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Annoying experience in CLT today. I flew RDU-CLT to connect to CLT-EWR on the 8:05 PM flight. Originally leaving out of Gate D8 and delayed to 8:40. At 8 PM we are told to go to Gate D3. At D3, there's an A-330 boarding for LHR (that flight was also delayed). The agents at D3 are confused and irritable and tell us to sit down and not ask any questions about EWR until they can finish boarding the LHR flight. After 15 minutes we're sent over to D13. I could hear gate change announcements up and down the concourse, seemed like one of those nights for everyone.

Total delay was only 90 minutes but it was one of the more annoying ones because it seemed so preventable, or at least like it should have been cut in half.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by krlcomm
They are found when looking up flights, not readily transparent on the website but when you see the actual fare basis on the ticket it's a Y basis fare that books in to the A or P class. The cheapest ones are P. On aa.com they just show as non-refundable F.
That's pretty much correct.

Clicking on "Detailed Fare Rules" will yield the proper code and the rules.

E.g. I have an upcoming trip with fare code: KHX71AQ1/LAUP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.