FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   The consolidated US Rant Thread ("I'm mad / I hate / How could they? . .") (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/925137-consolidated-us-rant-thread-im-mad-i-hate-how-could-they.html)

jefri68 Feb 23, 2009 9:33 pm

The consolidated US Rant Thread ("I'm mad / I hate / How could they? . .")

Hi, I'm a gung ho CO leisure traveler, but my perception of US Air from FT and media and friends is that US Air is THE worst just about across the board. Canceled flights, crappy service, on the cutting edge of customer unfriendly practices, etc.

I got their obligatory ( I once actually LIKE America West!) email today trumpeting their super-awesome reinstatement of free beverage service and wanted to B A R F. You took a left turn into greediness, and were left hanging in the wind, and now want applause for returning to the LIGHT SIDE?

I'd love nothing more than to hear kinder, gentler stories about how US Air is a FF savvy client's friend.

But THIS layman's opinion is that they're pure evil?

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Feb 23, 2009 10:35 pm

The Painful Truth...

1. They suck
2. Their horrible
3. Rude FA's
4. Terrible GA's
5. Worst customer service EVER
6. Bad FF program
7. Lavatories smell a navy bus station
8. Duck tape city
9. CEO can't draw a conclusion with a crayon
10. Better pre-boarding on Greyhound

Other than that, their great (-:

1525 segments in 10 years with them. I KNOW what I am talking about!

Elite Status Is Not A Matter of Life and Death...It's Much More Important Than That!

DesertFlier Feb 23, 2009 10:57 pm

Oh, I wouldn't say "pure evil". That would connote a malicious intent.

It's more a result of ignorance and greed.

hotturnip Feb 23, 2009 11:24 pm

I lived in western PA for 15 years, and for about 10 of that I was forced to fly US out of PIT fairly frequently. I've had my worst airline experiences on US. Usually about 1 flight out of 3 included some awful incident--lost luggage, horrific rudeness, incompetence, you name it. I always used to say, "Working for USAir means never having to say you're sorry." Because they didn't, no matter how bad they were. They never apologized for anything. The other thing is that they tended to COMPOUND problems. They would screw up, and then screw up again trying to fix it--almost as if they were trying to discourage you from ever bringing problems to their attention. As if that weren't enough, they way they screwed Pittsburgh was unconscionable. There are other topics in this thread about that, and others disagree, but I was living there. US was incredibly shady and double-dealing on multiple occasions.

On the other hand, screwing Pittsburgh meant the other airlines moved in to take up the slack, fares went down, and I could avoid them. Now I live elsewhere and hope never to have to take them again.

iztok Feb 24, 2009 4:00 am

I must be one of the few that actually has mostly good experience on US. My worst experience in last few years was actually on UA by far (followed by CO experience in 2006 when US bailed me out).

I have a lot of direct flights out of CLT to wherever I need to go with only few exceptions.

Most of my flights FAs are at least ok if not great.

GAs are mostly good, with few bad exceptions (last one in DCA).

US Club ladies are great.

Plat and now CP desk is great.

ByrdluvsAWACO Feb 24, 2009 4:45 am

I received that email today as well. As usual, it was another poorly worded email.

We believe in our pay-for-what-you-choose-to-use – or "a la carte" – business model, but it's a work-in-progress.
Translation: Expect more fees sometime in the future.

We are committed to remaining competitive and that's the main reason we have decided to bring back free drinks.
Translation: No other airline followed our sleazy policy, but as soon as someone else charges for drinks we will start charging again as well.

ByrdluvsAWACO Feb 24, 2009 4:48 am

3. Rude FA's
4. Terrible GA's
I take exception to this. The US-West FA/GA´s still provide great service.

KNRG Feb 24, 2009 5:08 am

The perception is definitely there..

I was recently in a room with FF's and several non-FF's all of whom were planning rt tatl flights in the near future. About 40 people from various walks of life.

In discussing flight options, US had the cheapest fare for the route most people needed. The level of "not if you paid me" attitude in the group was fascinating. Not FF's, not label whores, not even people who have flown before. Base-level flyers and even my friend who is afraid of flying all had the consensus that paying more to NOT fly US was a better bargain.

VanTheMan63 Feb 24, 2009 5:28 am

I would agree that now, they are the worst managed aviation product in the history of modern aviation, managing to best Lorenzo and the TWA....but they weren't always like that.

For years, this was a GREAT airline...it's only been since the America's Worst team bought them that the great name of US Airways (US Air) has been dragged through the mud.

I can still remmeber, vividly, how AWFUL CO was in the early and mid '90s. They got "fixed" when Bethune took over...and that's what needs to happen at US...someone who can inspire, manage and motivate people to create an exceptional brand must take over...will it happen? Maybe. One thing is for sure, as long as the current group of Sand Fleas infesting the Sand Castle is in place, the airline will be an "avoid whenever possible" airline.

But it has not always been this way...and for the love of God, I wish the America's Worst gang would have used their own name on this God-awful product we have now.

flight62 Feb 24, 2009 6:38 am

And like everything else, we have some of the best FF's and some of the worst...many whom have left, yet have such an unhealthy emotional and mental life that they still lurk on this board and can't move on. They must be a joy in a relationship. Most post here are so over exaggerated that it's funny!

Originally Posted by iztok (Post 11311462)
I must be one of the few that actually has mostly good experience on US. My worst experience in last few years was actually on UA by far (followed by CO experience in 2006 when US bailed me out).

I have a lot of direct flights out of CLT to wherever I need to go with only few exceptions.

Most of my flights FAs are at least ok if not great.

GAs are mostly good, with few bad exceptions (last one in DCA).

US Club ladies are great.

Plat and now CP desk is great.

flight62 Feb 24, 2009 6:40 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO (Post 11311562)
I take exception to this. The US-West FA/GA´s still provide great service.

Yeah, yeah, more BS. We east f/a's are the mean, rude ones. All is perfect in the west! Such crap!!

iahphx Feb 24, 2009 7:01 am

Originally Posted by flight62 (Post 11311874)
And like everything else, we have some of the best FF's and some of the worst...many whom have left, yet have such an unhealthy emotional and mental life that they still lurk on this board and can't move on. They must be a joy in a relationship. Most post here are so over exaggerated that it's funny!

Very true. I think it's a product of the fact that their business model changed and they took away benefits that these posters enjoyed.

Folks who are reading this stuff and haven't flown US recently should try it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised -- especially if you go into it with the low expectations set by the tone of this board. The experience is quite comparable to flying AA or UA. US does some things better than these airlines, and some things worse. Which means it's not great, but as transportation, it's more than acceptable.

ClueByFour Feb 24, 2009 7:16 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 11311965)
Which means it's not great, but as transportation, it's more than acceptable.

Expectation management is best practiced by Tempe. Even they are not that good at it (look to WN as the role model for lowering expectations and delivering regularly).

That said, US is only acceptable relative to other peers/options in a hub city (where they have nonstops). Anyone with a connection and anyone without status is usually better served by an alternative.

iahphx Feb 24, 2009 7:24 am

Originally Posted by ClueByFour (Post 11312017)
Anyone with a connection and anyone without status is usually better served by an alternative.

Anyone taking a connection who lacks status is usually best served by flying whichever airline is cheapest and/or has the best schedule.

If US fits that bill, it's more than an acceptable choice. For some reason, though, I rarely take them in such situations because their prices tend to be higher. Selling connecting traffic is usually less lucrative for an airline (you make more money selling both segments independently), and US President Scott Kirby is an ardent proponent of this. My anecdotal experience is that DL dumps the most seats at low prices into connecting markets.

ClueByFour Feb 24, 2009 8:00 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 11312060)
Anyone taking a connection who lacks status is usually best served by flying whichever airline is cheapest and/or has the best schedule.

And--(see below)

If US fits that bill, it's more than an acceptable choice. For some reason, though, I rarely take them in such situations because their prices tend to be higher.

Selling connecting traffic is usually less lucrative for an airline (you make more money selling both segments independently), and US President Scott Kirby is an ardent proponent of this. My anecdotal experience is that DL dumps the most seats at low prices into connecting markets.
Kirby can't see point to point tickets until Southwest decides to do it. Full stop. If the lowest cost guy is pricing connecting fares, US will continue to do so.