Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

The consolidated US Rant Thread ("I'm mad / I hate / How could they? . .")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated US Rant Thread ("I'm mad / I hate / How could they? . .")

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was flying this morning ATL-CLT-RDU and for whatever reason, despite "Star Silver" showing on my BPs, they printed out with Zone 5 (I thought US only went up to Zone 4 these days?). I went to board with the other Zone 2s (which the agent said "includes our Silver Preferred and Star Alliance Silver members) and she rudely informed me they were only boarding Zone 2. I showed her that I was Star Silver and she took her pen and circled Zone 5 and said "the computer decides which Star Silvers board with which zones".

No, no they do not
You'll note from the from the Star Alliance website that priority boarding is only for gold, not silver so the computer did assign you the right zone. Many agents confuse US Silver (which does get priority boarding) with Star Silver.

Star Alliance Gold Benefits

Priority Reservations Waitlisting - when there aren't any seats left on your preferred flight, gives you priority should a seat become available.
Priority Airport Standby - gives you top priority when standing-by a flight at the airport.
Priority Airport Check-in - allows you to check-in at the Business and/or First Class counter
Priority Baggage Handling - like you, your bags get priority treatment and are among the first to be unloaded.
Extra Baggage Allowance - an additional 20kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies, or one additional piece of luggage where the piece concept applies.
Priority Boarding - enjoy the freedom of boarding at your convenience along with First and Business Class passengers.
Airport Lounge Access - available worldwide for you and a friend when you travel with any Star Alliance member airline, regardless of your class of travel.

Star Alliance Silver Benefits

Priority Reservations Waitlisting - when there aren't any seats left on your preferred flight, gives you priority should a seat become available.
Priority Airport Standby - gives you top priority when standing by for a flight at the airport.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
You'll note from the from the Star Alliance website that priority boarding is only for gold, not silver so the computer did assign you the right zone. Many agents confuse US Silver (which does get priority boarding) with Star Silver.
I don't think it did. In my experience Star Silver gets assigned boarding in Zone 2 both when I'm using my CO FF# (Silver Elite) or UA FF# (Premier). Trust me, I fly a lot of US Airways and am always in Zone 2 unless there's a glitch like this. When I got to CLT, I changed seats and my new BP properly showed Zone 2.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:35 pm

Thumbs down Fuming

On 11am flight Friday morning msp to phl. Called earlier today to see about 6:50am flight. Told by very nice gentlemen to just show up Friday should be no problem
Figured before I get up at 4ami should call and check on open seats. Called at 8pm and they said now oversold but still selling 2more seats. I am paying one way msp to phl $560.70. Now they want $180 plus change fee of $150. I speak to 3supervisors and it is basically pay it or take my scheduled flight. Decide to take the 11am regular flight. Speak to wife and she says pay the $320. Called back less then 10 minutes later and now told it is $600 to change flights. I have 42 flights this year and over 45,000 actual miles I am now sitting in my hotel room fuming. Thanks for listening to my saga of a heartless. Lousy. Airline Who would pay $1160 to go from Minneapolis to Philadelphia.? I HATE US AIRWAYS
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:43 pm

Uh... they offered to place you on your ticketed flight and transfer you from A to B at the designated time as stated on your ticket and the CoC. And you're angry because...?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
So, is the complaint that the last second fare is ridiculously expensive? Isn't that pretty much the case on all airlines for purchasing a ticket on the same day as the flight?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by tinif
On 11am flight Friday morning msp to phl. Called earlier today to see about 6:50am flight. Told by very nice gentlemen to just show up Friday should be no problem
Figured before I get up at 4ami should call and check on open seats. Called at 8pm and they said now oversold but still selling 2more seats. I am paying one way msp to phl $560.70. Now they want $180 plus change fee of $150. I speak to 3supervisors and it is basically pay it or take my scheduled flight. Decide to take the 11am regular flight. Speak to wife and she says pay the $320. Called back less then 10 minutes later and now told it is $600 to change flights. I have 42 flights this year and over 45,000 actual miles I am now sitting in my hotel room fuming. Thanks for listening to my saga of a heartless. Lousy. Airline Who would pay $1160 to go from Minneapolis to Philadelphia.? I HATE US AIRWAYS
I'm trying to parse this, too. From your mileage and segments you are Silver, minimum. This means that you are qualified for same-day Move Up (no charge, if seats available).

The day before, you called the airline and someone suggested that it would be no problem to Move Up ... ?

But you wisely called again later in the day and learned that either the first agent had been mistaken and/or demand for the 6:50am flight had gone up a lot.

At that point you basically know that Move Up is on the edge, if not off the table entirely.

You decided to take the chance anyhow and discovered that US is pretty inflexible. This is frustrating -- we all would like to catch a break every now and then. And it is annoying and a bit perplexing that a flight that seemed "no problem" 20-24 hours before was now overbooked 12 hours later. Alas, you are right as well, PHL is rarely worth that price. Hang in there.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Take the 600am to ord. Then ord to Phil. Lands in Phil @ 1120.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
They are heartless because they are willing to move you from A to B at the time you originally reqiested or want more money to go earlier on a flight they admit had increased demand and may be oversold. HMMM, sorry, don't see anything they did wrong.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I would either:
A) standby if that is possible
B)book oneway with miles (CO has the 6AM flight with one stop arriving at 1122 for 12,500 miles

If the flight is oversold why would you expect US to potentially IDB someone so you can have the earlier flight?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Better Options (assuming a $150 change fee and fare difference):
C)Rebook on 6AM connecting flight cash. 484 (current price)+150 CF= $74 extra
D)Call back becasue 650AM direct is listed at 699+150-560=289

Personally I would fly Southwest whenever possible if work was paying for a bunch of last minute high dollar tickets, free changes and the RR 2.0 would be great for the high dollar flyer.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tinif
Seriously?

1. Why not show up in the morning and try to do standby or move up via same day confirmed? This would be free (assuming you are at least Silver if your 42 segments/45K miles are credited to US Airways this year). If not, only $50.

2. "I have 42 flights this year and over 45,000 actual miles I am now sitting in my hotel room fuming." How is how many miles you have relevant to anything? It's almost like you feel like they should give you a different price because you've done some flying with US this year.

3. Particularly if you've done some flying this year, you are well aware that airlines are a commodity business and that ticket prices change constantly, and that last minute walk-up fares are always really expensive, because generally, someone is willing to pay that fare, so the airlines charge it. The answer to your rhetorical question is that someone out there is willing to pay $1160 to fly nonstop from MSP-PHL booking the day before, even if you were not.

4. There's nothing heartless about this. Every legacy carrier out there has the policy that if you change a flight on a non-refundable ticket, you will pay a $150 change fee plus the difference in fare. If you wanted to avoid this, you could've purchased a refundable fare.

Basically, you're upset at US Airways for following their ticket change policy that you agreed to when you purchased your original ticket? This is totally illogical.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Seriously?

1. Why not show up in the morning and try to do standby or move up via same day confirmed? This would be free (assuming you are at least Silver if your 42 segments/45K miles are credited to US Airways this year). If not, only $50.

2. "I have 42 flights this year and over 45,000 actual miles I am now sitting in my hotel room fuming." How is how many miles you have relevant to anything? It's almost like you feel like they should give you a different price because you've done some flying with US this year.

3. Particularly if you've done some flying this year, you are well aware that airlines are a commodity business and that ticket prices change constantly, and that last minute walk-up fares are always really expensive, because generally, someone is willing to pay that fare, so the airlines charge it. The answer to your rhetorical question is that someone out there is willing to pay $1160 to fly nonstop from MSP-PHL booking the day before, even if you were not.

4. There's nothing heartless about this. Every legacy carrier out there has the policy that if you change a flight on a non-refundable ticket, you will pay a $150 change fee plus the difference in fare. If you wanted to avoid this, you could've purchased a refundable fare.

Basically, you're upset at US Airways for following their ticket change policy that you agreed to when you purchased your original ticket? This is totally illogical.
+1
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat / Hilton Gold / IHG Plat
Complaint Line...

I was stuck in Tampa for 8+ hours on Friday Veterands day, a day I wanted to be home with my dad which is a veteran...

Fun times let me begin.... I ran into the delay (plane was suppose to be leaving at 11:55am) ended up not leaving until 6... I had to catch a flight to CLT then a connector to DCA... Not getting me home for over 9 hours later....

Usually most airlines I deal with they will give me some kind of comp....

I spoke to a "supervisor" or should I call him stupidvisor... rather ignorant rude person, and I asked if they do any kind of comp at all.. He said NO none at all...

I called US Air customer support... They said yes we do it all the time. They also said oh I see you have flown over 13 roundtrips in less than 4 months.. Which is correct. I dont really care about how much I have flown with an airline, I just want something done about it.

In the end, I had the manager of US Air come talk to me, and he explained that actually writing the complaint line, something will happen. They have basically had there authority taken away to issue anything at the airport...

I may be sounding like a total jerk, but I think USAIr for a delay for that long to find a reasonable solution not a 9 hour delay for something that could have been so simple.

Cheers
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
What was the delay for? If weather related then you won't get anything. If something else (e.g. mechanical) then you can send an email to customer service and will probably receive a voucher for US credit.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ch3ss
In the end, I had the manager of US Air come talk to me, and he explained that actually writing the complaint line, something will happen. They have basically had there authority taken away to issue anything at the airport
I guess I have a couple questions...what is this elusive "comp" you are seeking? And did the station or another manager come to you and said his power had been taken away?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.