Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US Airways Flight Attendant would not tell me where flight crew stayed near Airport!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Flight Attendant would not tell me where flight crew stayed near Airport!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Is this really a secret? Most airline employees use the same hotel shuttles that we passengers do.

If I want to know where a crew stays, all I need to do is to hang out at the hotel shuttle stop and wait.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MNTEERFLYER
I was very impressed with her and couldnt wait to fill out a Above and Beyond certificate for this FA. Upon leaving I asked her for her name and she refused to give it to me. She told me I didn't need to know it and they don't give that information out. When I explained it was for a Above and Beyond certificate, she got angry and said "I don't care what is is for, you have no right to ask me for that information". And yes, the Above and Beyond cards do ask for first and last name of US Airways employee. Needless to sayd instead of submitting my Above and Beyond card, I sent an online compliant for her rude behavior. I guess some FA don't want positive recognition.
Maye she didnt want to win the huge cash prize that US draws for from the certificates
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by mikew99
Is this really a secret? Most airline employees use the same hotel shuttles that we passengers do.

If I want to know where a crew stays, all I need to do is to hang out at the hotel shuttle stop and wait.
True. But when a passenger asks you directly, it does make your radar go up.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
First rule of business, customers create revenue - no customers, no revenue. Revenue pays salaries. It's never good business practice to be rude to customers.

You never know whether you're talking to a customer who flies once a year or the CEO of a major corporation who has 100's of employees flying multiple time per week. If you treat every customer as if they were a CEO, it will always be good for business. This is just business 101.

No matter how bad the question. A simple smile and a quick explaination always works best.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I wouldn't have told you where I was staying either.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by mikew99

I would agree with this....

Seeing the conditions of a number of US's planes (cleanliness, etc), I am not sure I would trust their judgement in hotels.... Just a thought....
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
It's a touchy thing.

Because I work in the industry, I tend to chat with FA's, and the topic of crew rooms has come up. I've never been smacked down when asking where they stay, but I attribute that to 1) it being a natural part of an existing conversation, and 2) being female.

Honestly, if I was a female FA, and a male pax asked where we stayed, I wouldn't tell him either.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:00 pm

When we have long layovers we sometimes stay downtown at decent, good or better than good hotels. On the short layovers (the majority) the quality takes quite a hit. I would venture to say that you would probably not be interested in staying there.

I was laying over in one particular city and I was happy to see that we were no longer staying at a particularly crusty Holiday Inn. It was not completely surprising, however, when we pulled up to the same hotel with a different name bolted on. Holiday Inn corporate apparently felt that this particular hotel did not meet their high standards.

This should give you some idea of the accommodations provided.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by M11Stephen
If I was a female F/A, I wouldn't say either. Have any of you seen all the creepy pictures and videos people have taken of F/As and posted on youtube and flickr? There is even some creeper who followed a F/A around ATL filming her walking...
Bingo. How would she know if he were a wacko stalker?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:34 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I really don't know of any crew member that will tell you where they are staying & yes it is for security reasons as some one has pointed out things have & can happen to crew members.

Heck I wouldn't tell anyone who ask where I was staying unless I know you.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:48 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I have always felt that crewmembers overreact (here and on other online forums) whenever someone names a crew hotel (specifically because, as mentioned above, it's easy enough to just jump on the same shuttle).

With that said, how many other people on the plane do you suppose would offer up their hotel data (essentially stone cold, with very little rationale given)? I'd imagine it's not a large number.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; Hilton Dimond; Marriott 3/3
I get why the hotel information is kept on a need-to-know basis, and agree with it. I also know and support the policy of FA's (and other US employees) not giving out their last names to pax. But, I though they were supposed to be able to provide you with some sort of an employee number, so you can positively identify them?

As "business 101" being polite to the customers, and as much as I hate to say it, I think the airlines are a lost cause. We'll always have poor-to-fair customer service, except on certain delighful occasions.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I don't believe the original scenario actually happened.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I have always felt that crewmembers overreact (here and on other online forums) whenever someone names a crew hotel (specifically because, as mentioned above, it's easy enough to just jump on the same shuttle).
Agreed. I've jumped on hotel shuttles and there's the crew from my inbound flight. Nothing like the cold and icy stares that causes.

The funniest over-reaction in recent memory? During the recent BOM terror attacks/massacre when someone online pointed out that airline crews stay at one of the notable hotels under attack. Immediately, indignant posts appeared chastizing the OP for revealing the crew hotel.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:00 am

Intra USA there is no "security" reason why crew hotels should be private, off limits.

There is a genuine "safety" issue especially for female FA's. Would have been good to have asked a male FA.

I have seen in center city phila where some crews come in mid-day. They aren't going through the back hidden entrance nor do they need to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.