Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US Airways Flight Attendant would not tell me where flight crew stayed near Airport!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Flight Attendant would not tell me where flight crew stayed near Airport!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was flying on US Airways recently, and did not have a reservation at an Airport Hotel. I thought that maybe the Flight Attendant could tell me where the crew stayed because I am sure the hotel they stay at must be at least OK.

So I approached the Flight Attendant and asked where the Flight Crew with US Airways stayed in my arrival City. She looked at me like I was crazy and said in no uncertain words that was none of my business! I asked her why and she just stared at me and walked away.

Maybe she thought I was going to stalk her and the rest of the crew at their hotel. Was my question out of line?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Generally, crew hotel information is on a need-to-know basis for security reasons.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I know that on BA, they are not supposed to reveal the crew accomodations in a foriegn country. I could see where it could pose a security issue, but I understand your motivation for the question.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:18 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Wow! I can't believe you asked that! While your motivation might be good the phrasing could be better.

You could have asked her for a decent hotel recommendation instead. Or you could go to the info desk at the airport and ask them for recommendation.

I don't blame F/A a bit!

I know for one hotel where they stay in SJC, however this is pure coincidence as I was checking in at the same hotel (prior reservation) when I've noticed my crew from the flight I was on. Just thanked them for the service and wished them goodnight and parted ways.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: These views/opinions are solely my own and not necessarily those of UAL or any other affiliates
I think it was bad wording on both parts. If a passenger asked me the same question I would either tell you that it isn't info that we share, for security reasons or that I don't know and need to call the hotel desk when I get in (which really is sometimes the case). If you would have said "I need a hotel once we get there, do you have any recommendations" I would probably just name off other hotels that I know are near, but not the one we stay at. There are a lot of really crazy people in this world (not saying you are one! ) and I've heard to many horror stories to just give this info out to someone I don't know.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:28 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Brand_new_traveler
Was my question out of line?
Yes -- IMO.

As others have mentioned, you could have asked for a hotel recommendation, without sending up the red flags that your question undoubtedly raised.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dls25
Generally, crew hotel information is on a need-to-know basis for security reasons.
"Security" reasons? So-called "security" is used to justify quite a bit these days...

Originally Posted by Djlawman
Yes -- IMO.

As others have mentioned, you could have asked for a hotel recommendation, without sending up the red flags that your question undoubtedly raised.
I ageree. You could have phrased your question much better.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles Preferred-Gold, HHonors- Diamond , Priority Club-Gold, Emerald Club- Executive
Its understandable to keep some information confidental bus USAirways F/A need to learn how to better handle themselves when such information is requested.

I recently traveled with my wife and two daughters. Me and my oldest daughter were seperated (by choice) from my wife and 12 month old daughter. The FA was extremely helpful to my wife and baby especially when she got cranky during a 45 minute ground delay. I was very impressed with her and couldnt wait to fill out a Above and Beyond certificate for this FA. Upon leaving I asked her for her name and she refused to give it to me. She told me I didn't need to know it and they don't give that information out. When I explained it was for a Above and Beyond certificate, she got angry and said "I don't care what is is for, you have no right to ask me for that information". And yes, the Above and Beyond cards do ask for first and last name of US Airways employee. Needless to sayd instead of submitting my Above and Beyond card, I sent an online compliant for her rude behavior. I guess some FA don't want positive recognition.

Again, I understand the need to keep some information confidental, but they really do need to learn how to politely deal with those situations.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
A better way to phrase the question would have been "Are you aware of any good/cheap/nice/fancy airport hotels in our destination city?"
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
"Security" reasons? So-called "security" is used to justify quite a bit these days...
Agreed; though I'd argue this is security with a "lower case 's'". Imagine it wasn't an FA but fellow pax that the OP asked where she were staying...I'd expect a similar response.

There are lots of ways to say essentially the same thing; I agree with most others...poor word choice on both sides.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by MNTEERFLYER
I recently traveled with my wife and two daughters. Me and my oldest daughter were seperated (by choice) from my wife and 12 month old daughter. The FA was extremely helpful to my wife and baby especially when she got cranky during a 45 minute ground delay. I was very impressed with her and couldnt wait to fill out a Above and Beyond certificate for this FA. Upon leaving I asked her for her name and she refused to give it to me. She told me I didn't need to know it and they don't give that information out. When I explained it was for a Above and Beyond certificate, she got angry and said "I don't care what is is for, you have no right to ask me for that information". And yes, the Above and Beyond cards do ask for first and last name of US Airways employee. Needless to sayd instead of submitting my Above and Beyond card, I sent an online compliant for her rude behavior. I guess some FA don't want positive recognition.

When I've given out A&B's, I typically just leave their info blank. If they have a name tag on that I could see, or they've identified themselves, I'll sometimes jot it down. But usually, I just put in my info, and the comments, and hand them the card. I assume they'll complete it and make sure it gets where it needs to go.

As to the hotel question, I think much of it depends on HOW the question is asked. On a recent ABQ-PHX trip, I was in row 1 (the aisle seat) on a 737, where the FA's were immediately in front of me. We chatted about how long we had been in ABQ, what there is to do, etc. They did tell me where they stayed (although I've completely forgotten), said they hung out at the hotel, watched tv, etc during their day layover. I gave them some suggestions for things to do, if they ever had to go again (I go 5-6x a year).

I think a better way to ask would be something like, "I haven't made a reservation for XXX city. Are you familiar with the town to recommend a place for me to stay?"

But since you're on FT, I'm hoping you also look at the FT Hotel forums, and participate in one of their programs as well; would hate to see hotel points going to waste. And these forums go into some very graphic detail as to which properties are best.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles Preferred-Gold, HHonors- Diamond , Priority Club-Gold, Emerald Club- Executive
Originally Posted by aztimm
When I've given out A&B's, I typically just leave their info blank. If they have a name tag on that I could see, or they've identified themselves, I'll sometimes jot it down. But usually, I just put in my info, and the comments, and hand them the card. I assume they'll complete it and make sure it gets where it needs to go.
I would have done that, but this was a personal trip, and I keep my A&B cards in my laptop case, which I didn't have on this particular trip.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I know several FA's and have heard enough stories about pax following them/stalking them to fully understand the reluctance. I've been told that the name some FA's have on their nametags and how they introduce themselves on the plane aren't even their real first names.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
How else would you justify not revealing what hotel you are staying in?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:11 pm

If I was a female F/A, I wouldn't say either. Have any of you seen all the creepy pictures and videos people have taken of F/As and posted on youtube and flickr? There is even some creeper who followed a F/A around ATL filming her walking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.