Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade seating assignments

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Upgrade seating assignments

Preface to thread: I'm NOT complaining (too much anyway)

I've been extremely lucky with upgrades this year at the seven-day window. That said, 80% of my upgrades put me into the bulkhead row. As I often carry on both a roller and laptop bag, unless you're among the first few passengers to board, there is often not enough overhead space and I end up having to stick at least one of my bags in the first bin in Y.

I usually fly out of DCA, so there are obviously many Preferred members jockeying for seats at the upgrade window. So once you're assigned a seat, it seems difficult to change.

A idea why the system default seems to think that the bulkhead is my preference? Anything I can do about this?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think it assigns seats in order (Row 1 thru 3) So if your preference is aisle and the first aisle is row 1 that's where it puts you. Only preferreds can book row 1 so any non preferreds that buy F cannot select row 1 thus leaving those seats unassigned for upgraders.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by uva185
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think it assigns seats in order (Row 1 thru 3) So if your preference is aisle and the first aisle is row 1 that's where it puts you. Only preferreds can book row 1 so any non preferreds that buy F cannot select row 1 thus leaving those seats unassigned for upgraders.
Preferred can't book row one (except the 737 with two rows in F, apparently). Row 1 stays reserved until preferred upgrades start processing and then are selectable by any F passenger at the 24 hour mark.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
This changed a few months ago. The system used to place elites in rows two and three before row one. I'm not sure why they made this change, but it seems it was conscious decision, because it's very consistent.

I've found that the system seems to honor your request for aisle or window, as on a two-row 737 on the west side, if my window preference is not open in the first row, even if aisle seats are available, I'll be put into an available window seat in row two before an aisle seat in row one.

I typically travel with a rollabord and a computer bag as well, so row one is more stressful than I like because of the limited overhead space (especially when you get an FA who takes up one entire side above the first row with his/her bags before the first passenger even steps on the plane). I just make a point to check the seatmap whenever I receive one of the auto-upgrade notices and move myself back in the cabin whenever possible.

Having said all of this, following a PHL trip with the new F seats in both the A321 and A320, I think I will start going for row one. I simply cannot believe how tight the space is when the person in front of you reclines. The pitch is just pathetic.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:33 pm

I have never had a problem selecting row 1 before upgrades start clearing. Once I tried to give a friend (non preferred) row 1 in advance and the agent told me it was reserved for preferreds.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
On an upgrade we got today my wife and I got assigned different rows even though there were at least 8 seats available. Not sure why.

Anyone have any luck rearranging seats by calling the CP desk? I was told they didn't have the authority to do it, although I doubt if any of people upgraded would precisely care what seat they got other than isle/window (with the exceptions mentioned in this thread).
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by uva185

I have never had a problem selecting row 1 before upgrades start clearing. Once I tried to give a friend (non preferred) row 1 in advance and the agent told me it was reserved for preferreds.
I log in right now and do a dummy booking in F - I can't select row 1 (I'm lowly SP), was never able to nor could I after being upgraded until 24 hours before departure. Maybe on the phone they can place me there but I don't think so. Two recent award bookings and the agent put me into row 2 on the US segments.

Every time I've been upgraded all of 2008, I've always been placed in row 1 at my window if it was available. I could move myself out of row 1 but could not move back until 24 hours prior. This was the case for PHX-SFO and PHX-MCO round trips last February so for me this setup goes back at least that far.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by GaryZ
On an upgrade we got today my wife and I got assigned different rows even though there were at least 8 seats available. Not sure why.

Anyone have any luck rearranging seats by calling the CP desk? I was told they didn't have the authority to do it, although I doubt if any of people upgraded would precisely care what seat they got other than isle/window (with the exceptions mentioned in this thread).
Pull up the reservation online and change to available seats in same row? I rarely call to deal with seating unless there's a royal screwup which fortunately has also been rare this year.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:44 pm

Oh maybe I should have clarified. As a preferred you can only select row 1 over the phone in advance. The seat map will always show it is blocked.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Pull up the reservation online and change to available seats in same row? I rarely call to deal with seating unless there's a royal screwup which fortunately has also been rare this year.
This is how I handle it, as well... much easier than calling in to do it for you, and you'll see what is truly available.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:32 pm

duplicate

Last edited by GaryZ; Dec 14, 2008 at 12:37 pm
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
All the seats are already assigned. Just wondering if anyone has been successful either calling the preferreds desk or asking the GA. Obviously, one could just ask someone to move, but like I mentioned, it appears that all of the seats except one went to u/g's so I figured most people wouldn't object so as long as they got the same window/aisle seat preference.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:38 pm

FWIW in years past and including this one I would get assigned row 2, then starting sometime over this past summer, I started getting assigned row 1.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by DCAIAD
Preface to thread: I'm NOT complaining (too much anyway)

I've been extremely lucky with upgrades this year at the seven-day window. That said, 80% of my upgrades put me into the bulkhead row. As I often carry on both a roller and laptop bag, unless you're among the first few passengers to board, there is often not enough overhead space and I end up having to stick at least one of my bags in the first bin in Y.

I usually fly out of DCA, so there are obviously many Preferred members jockeying for seats at the upgrade window. So once you're assigned a seat, it seems difficult to change.

A idea why the system default seems to think that the bulkhead is my preference? Anything I can do about this?

Thanks in advance!
I'm glad to hear that it's not just me. I know it may sound like a petty thing
to complain about, but I really don't prefer the first row, mainly because of
the carry-on luggage I have to stow and can't always find. Whenever an
upgrade clears, I always go into the reservation to change my seats.

I remember the Crystal City USAirways would allow Preferred members to fill
out a profile that preferenced where you liked to sit in first. And there was
the option for bulkhead preferred and bulkhead not preferred.

Now what I have concluded is that when you're on the website and go into
the first class seat map for a flight to see how many seats are still open (this
would be a few days before the flight,not after the automatic upgrade check
is over), the fact that row 1 shows occupied doesn't actually mean that there
are people booked into those seats but are actually open. It's just a theory.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Same thing happens to me - almost all my upgrades put me in row 1 unless I'm getting the last seat available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.