FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade seating assignments
View Single Post
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:32 pm
AZ Travels the World
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
This changed a few months ago. The system used to place elites in rows two and three before row one. I'm not sure why they made this change, but it seems it was conscious decision, because it's very consistent.

I've found that the system seems to honor your request for aisle or window, as on a two-row 737 on the west side, if my window preference is not open in the first row, even if aisle seats are available, I'll be put into an available window seat in row two before an aisle seat in row one.

I typically travel with a rollabord and a computer bag as well, so row one is more stressful than I like because of the limited overhead space (especially when you get an FA who takes up one entire side above the first row with his/her bags before the first passenger even steps on the plane). I just make a point to check the seatmap whenever I receive one of the auto-upgrade notices and move myself back in the cabin whenever possible.

Having said all of this, following a PHL trip with the new F seats in both the A321 and A320, I think I will start going for row one. I simply cannot believe how tight the space is when the person in front of you reclines. The pitch is just pathetic.