Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the call center outsourced?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Originally Posted by Greg P.
I'm not sure I agree. in the case of USAirways, I'd say the number is way less than the 90+% of what the customer needs.

My biggest complaint is that the call center agents seem to be trained to NOT escalate the difficult calls even if you ask them to. And if you ask for the call to be escalated, your call will either be mysteriously dropped or you'll be put on hold so long that you'll eventually give up.
That's usually a corporate choice to staff to a certain level. Those staff levels determine wait times. They also probably have metrics in place for agents regarding percentage of calls completed in a certain time frame and percentage of calls that required escalation. The rep may get bonuses based on meeting certain metrics. those metrics are usually based on what costs the company the least amount.

Some companies choose staffing levels and policies designed to solve customer problems as quickly as possible - a company like ProFlowers is geared that way. At this point in time it seems all airlines have deteremined that if your problem is easy to fix we'll fix it - if it's not easy to fix we're going to make you work to fix it. I don't think US is alone in that attitude - I've had it from just about every other airline I've dealt with.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
I at first thought the peon call center was India...
UA's off-shore call center is in India, and those of us with US status and no UA status have more experience dealing with UA's ICC.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: US-Chairman, Hyatt_Diamond
Originally Posted by BostonMark
Taking it out on call center people or blaming the fact that it's an outsourced company isn't going to get you the answer you want.
It is very important that customers and potential customers of USAirways always advise the USAirways representatives of their needs/desires. Use of the appropriate emphasis should be used.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 2:19 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
They're still awful...is it normal for an airline CSR to not be able to tell what the previous leg to mine is so I can track the aircraft?
Maybe. This kind of question is more likely to be in a GA, TA, or Club agent's wheelhouse at the airport than that of a telephone CSR, who deals mostly with reservations rather than ops. I'm sure there are CSR's who can pull this off (and airport agents who are too busy/lazy to), but it's not something they would necessarily deal with on a regular basis.

If you can't get a rep to tell you, your best bet is to look at the flight schedules on the airport website and see which plane is scheduled into the same gate about 30-45 min before yours is scheduled to depart.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by me4yankees
General Reservations - Manila and Mexico City
At certain times of the day I've called the general # and had people in Tempe and what must have been Winston-Salem (can't mistake that NC accent!) - so it's the luck of the draw. I've determined that it's not worth wasting my time with a reservation problem unless it's seriously minor if I get Manila on the phone - I just go to the airport counter to fix the problem. I'd rather pay the $4 to park and fix it than sit on the phone for 45 minutes with someone who can't do anything I want. Even the supervisors can be frustrating.

Simple stuff (like schedule changes) are fine through Mexico/Manila; anything else I pray for a southern accent or just go to the airport.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 5:55 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
That's usually a corporate choice to staff to a certain level. Those staff levels determine wait times. They also probably have metrics in place for agents regarding percentage of calls completed in a certain time frame and percentage of calls that required escalation. The rep may get bonuses based on meeting certain metrics. those metrics are usually based on what costs the company the least amount.

Some companies choose staffing levels and policies designed to solve customer problems as quickly as possible - a company like ProFlowers is geared that way. At this point in time it seems all airlines have deteremined that if your problem is easy to fix we'll fix it - if it's not easy to fix we're going to make you work to fix it. I don't think US is alone in that attitude - I've had it from just about every other airline I've dealt with.
US may not be alone in providing poor service in their overseas call centers, but some are better than others and I'd rank US among the worst (at least in my experience). And... just because others provide poor service certainly does not justify it.

I have little doubt that the problems I have experienced with US call centers are a result of management decisions regarding staffing levels, training levels etc., and I'm sure they have all kinds of metrics that tell them they are doing a fantastic job. (I have worked as a consultant in a few call centers and have frequently been amazed to see how out of touch the management can be.)
Old Mar 31, 2008, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

Apparently, there's even an escalation desk that calls get sent to if the customer persists on an issue and the agent does not know how to respond...interesting! Not that they end up doing anything to help at the next level anyway.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:50 am

Resurrecting this old thread because this caught my eye:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10965...cm_ven=GOOGLEN

Manila call centre is closing this year.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:44 am
Suspended

Ready for the holidays? Yes in some ways. No in others (shopping).

Let me have a Res expert call you and work through whatever you need. By the way – all third worlders for US Airways Reservations end by Dec 2011 (insourcing).

John xxxxxxxx

Director,
US Airways

It pays to have a "FFOCUSED" Cockroach on the job. more here http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stor...FREE&cm_ite=NA

Last edited by Sparrow_Hawk; Jan 7, 2011 at 1:52 am
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: US Airways General Reservations
Originally Posted by Greg P.
(I have worked as a consultant in a few call centers and have frequently been amazed to see how out of touch the management can be.)

Exactly. I am working as Call Center agent here in Manila I have to be honest we are poorly trained although I did not have any problems with my English most Americans could understand me and are sometimes Impressed that I can talk clear enough considering the Philippines is not an English Speaking country. But I cannot say the same for my colleagues. they gave us like 15 days of product training. then we are on our own. I remember my first day on the job I am 90% clueless on what to do. I just strive to improve my communication skills and product knowledge on my own. The managers are really only concerned with AHT( average handling time ) so I am not surprised that US airways will pull out this year.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by QiKReS
Exactly. I am working as Call Center agent here in Manila
Welcome to FT QiKReS! I'm not sure, but you may be the first agent from Manila to join the conversation here. I'm sure you'll bring an interesting perspective.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by DCAorBust
Welcome to FT QiKReS! I'm not sure, but you may be the first agent from Manila to join the conversation here. I'm sure you'll bring an interesting perspective.
Thanks for the reply, yes that's one of my intentions here to bring to light what's going on behind the scenes,.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Spoke to a reservations agent in Manila on Friday, 2-25 at 11 pm ET. so it was outsourced at least on that date and time.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by sportsguymichael
Spoke to a reservations agent in Manila on Friday, 2-25 at 11 pm ET. so it was outsourced at least on that date and time.
Oh my that could be me I am at work during that time.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by QiKReS
Exactly. I am working as Call Center agent here in Manila I have to be honest we are poorly trained although I did not have any problems with my English most Americans could understand me and are sometimes Impressed that I can talk clear enough considering the Philippines is not an English Speaking country. But I cannot say the same for my colleagues. they gave us like 15 days of product training. then we are on our own. I remember my first day on the job I am 90% clueless on what to do. I just strive to improve my communication skills and product knowledge on my own. The managers are really only concerned with AHT( average handling time ) so I am not surprised that US airways will pull out this year.
Welcome to Flyertalk. I think you will get better training here than what US provided you on the job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.