Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the call center outsourced?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: US Airways General Reservations
Originally Posted by SS255
Welcome to Flyertalk. I think you will get better training here than what US provided you on the job.
Hi thanks..

Although I admit we are poorly trained I don't blame US airways for that. It is the contractors fault, we are not directly working for US airways we just handle calls for US airways's customers. I hope there are Agents from Phoenix or Winston Salem that can join this forum too. I would love to meet our counterparts in the US.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
so these are for which customers that call in? even when i didn't have status, I don't think I ever spoke to anyone in Manila. This was last summer, tho.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by mrredskin
so these are for which customers that call in? even when i didn't have status, I don't think I ever spoke to anyone in Manila. This was last summer, tho.
For several years (starting circa 2003, I think) the majority of the calls for non-status customers were answered offshore in Manila, Guatemala City, or San Salvador. US began reducing its reliance on off-shoring about 2 years ago, and thus even calls by non-status customers were routed domestically. I believe that Manila is the last of the off-shore centers, and that it handles less than 100% of the calls currently, and that it is slated for closure by fall 2011.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by DCAorBust
For several years (starting circa 2003, I think) the majority of the calls for non-status customers were answered offshore in Manila, Guatemala City, or San Salvador. US began reducing its reliance on off-shoring about 2 years ago, and thus even calls by non-status customers were routed domestically. I believe that Manila is the last of the off-shore centers, and that it handles less than 100% of the calls currently, and that it is slated for closure by fall 2011.
thanks for the info
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I wonder if US marketing has been outsourced -- this arrived in today's email

Top 10 e-Saver deals
From--------------To----------- Each way
Phoenix, AZ------Tuscon, AZ---$79

Isn't Tuscon in Italy?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:32 am

According to one customer, calling the Manila reservations is a "Fiasco" he told me he ask three different agents he got three different answers, none is correct.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by QiKReS
According to one customer, calling the Manila reservations is a "Fiasco" he told me he ask three different agents he got three different answers, none is correct.
What kind of oversight from US is there at the Manila call center? It sounds like the agents are two layers removed. That is a recipe for disaster.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Tanic
I wonder if US marketing has been outsourced -- this arrived in today's email

Top 10 e-Saver deals
From--------------To----------- Each way
Phoenix, AZ------Tuscon, AZ---$79

Isn't Tuscon in Italy?
There is definitely a Tuscon in Arizona. I believe you are thinking of Tuscany.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
There is definitely a Tuscon in Arizona. I believe you are thinking of Tuscany.
He was nit picking about the typographical error in Tucson. Although rather poorly since as you point out, Tuscon is actually Tuscany.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by DCAorBust
He was nit picking about the typographical error in Tucson. Although rather poorly since as you point out, Tuscon is actually Tuscany.

Since US mainline has exactly two stations in their HQ state, one would expect the city name to be in their spell checker. Rather embarrassing to repeatedly see this spelling error in professional advertisements from the local company.

Last edited by Tanic; Mar 3, 2011 at 12:25 pm
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic

Since US mainline has exactly two stations in their HQ state, one would expect the city name to be in their spell checker. Rather embarrassing to repeatedly see this spelling error in professional advertisements from the local company.
I don't disagree that it looks shabby. It certainly isn't the most egregious error I've seen in their marketing, though I hadn't realized it was a repeat offense. Have you ever complained about it? I complained about the spelling of PERFERRED (sic.) on certain of the CP bonus mileage postings. They fixed it, and it hasn't recurred.

It does boggle my mind that anyone would bother to fly from PHX to TUS on an e-saver.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
What kind of oversight from US is there at the Manila call center? It sounds like the agents are two layers removed. That is a recipe for disaster.
There are people from Winston Salem, who's listening to the calls and the on screen captures of the transactions they will actually see what an agent will do with his keyboard,etc,

They will send some Email reports regarding Agents dropping a call,rude behavior,etc, you name it.

It will be reviewed by our Local, Quality officer and those who have violations,or transactional errors, will be called in for a coaching session. Usually just simple reprimand somewhat a tap on the wrist, pat on the back type of thing. There are some agents being fired for rudeness or releasing calls. But sad to say there are lots of rude agents. I know an Agent who yells at her customer on a regular basis she is from the internet Support and she is even rude to her colleagues. I know Agents who are good with English and has a decent global accent who intentionally talks like some one from India( no offense to Indian agents ) just to annoy callers so they will just hang up, like if the Caller wants to make a $99Companion cert reservation. This things happen a lot because Winston Salem can't listen to all calls at best they can listen to 1call from a particular agent every 5months. There are up to 300 agents over all. The Center that handles the US airways call center in manila is one the Worst here in the Philippines notorious for Salary Discrepancies and Nepotism. Like some people getting promoted to a supervisor just because they are good friends with the Managers. Sad to say one of the common negative traits of my fellow Filipinos is "sh*ting where they eat" pardon my language.

They have ridiculous metrics they expect every agent to finish a sales call in just 5mins. I don't know anyone who uses the same travel tool that we use to make a reservation within a 5min time frame. What if some one wants to book 3 Vouchers plus a multicity Dividend miles reservation. that may take 30mins or more.

That's why some agents would rather release the call or pretend that their system is not working. because they want to preserve their stats.

One time I receive a call from a guy with a middle Eastern Accent but speaks good English grammar he told me that he got Disconnected 3 times, then I blurted out my usual Spiel "I am sorry about that how can I help you" he said he wants to book 4 TFCs plus one revenue ticket. I book first the TFCs since TFCs if they are even exchange are much faster to process since you don't have to put a credit card info to Ticket the reservation. But when I am already issuing the ticket for the Last revenue ticket apparently his credit card is not working so I have to ask him he has another credit card but next card that he gave is not working so he said he is going to get another one guess what it still not working wow we are allread 1hour 20mins on the call. I swear I could have ask him to call back or drop the call but I am not like that besides I feel bad for the guy he got hangup three times already so I stayed with the call until he got a working credit card and finally completed the Transaction. The Customer so relieve that he has finally a ticket even ask to talk to my Supervisor so he can commend me. But Because the call took 1:50mins and ruined the Centers Metrics the center actually Penalized me for that they put me in temporary layoff cause according to them my stats are not good.

That is just ridiculous getting Penalized for doing my Job.
Oh well sorry about the Rant

By the Way I am still working there hehehe but not for long I guess hehe
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:33 am

The Manila Call Center will be closed by October US air CEO Doug Parker said it..

There is also a mass resignation going on at the Filipino Call Center Operations Managers don't know anything to run an airline reservations center they are no different from corrupt politicians
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Generally speaking, the costs to run outsourced call centres have gone up in recent years. This makes them less attractive for someone like US.

I could be wrong on this point, but I bet the cost to hire American-based workers has gone down as well in an era of 10% unemployment.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Joshua
Generally speaking, the costs to run outsourced call centres have gone up in recent years. This makes them less attractive for someone like US.

I could be wrong on this point, but I bet the cost to hire American-based workers has gone down as well in an era of 10% unemployment.

Besides there is no point in outsourcing customer service Language barrier will be inevitable. If an American can do the same Job why hire a Filipino and risk language barrier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.