Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forbes ranks 'America's Worst Airlines' - US is the worst major

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
They have apparently updated the list once again, which seems to be a simple average of the the three DOT numbers. I don't think math was/is one of their strong points, but anyway the "correct" list:
1. Atlantic Southeast
2. Comair
3. American Eagle
4. Mesa
5. Expressjet
6. US
Old Sep 29, 2007, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I suppose that, for many, it does. Personally, when I clicked on the link for the story I fully expected to see US as number one, among all airlines, large or small. They'll no doubt take some comfort from the fact they're not.
Well they are # 1 in If you eliminate the RJ - Jockeys
Old Sep 30, 2007, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
Looks to me that Delta is by far the worse airline to fly from this. AA and US are tied as 2nd worse. UA is 3rd worse. and CO is 4th worse.

Just what I see from this...
Hahaha. Hahahah. HAHAHAHA! BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I've flown all four majors you mention so far this year -- DL and US rather heavily.

It's not even close. In terms of on-time departures, lost luggage, missed connections, in-flight service, aircraft cleanliness, and customer service, US is a DISTANT last place (including when booking on "express" carriers).

CO is the best, followed closely by DL (who I prefer for their more extensive route network), AA, and UAL (which, despite its aging planes and surly staff, is still loads better than US).

US isn't even the "bus in the sky." Greyhound and Peter Pan give you what you pay for -- nothing more -- but often on US this year, regardless of my class of service, I didn't even get that.

Envoy with broken entertainment systems and lousy food. Domestic "first" without enough meals and beverages. Luggage lost consistently regardless of which class I book (I think US has a deal with the baggage manufacturers to keep their sales up!)

4% on-time departure days in Philadelphia. A transatlantic operation that is a COMPLETE and TOTAL joke -- so bad that our company just issued orders to all fliers that US Airways is banned from European flights for business due to people missing key business due to missed connections and delayed/cancelled flights. I've NEVER seen an order like that before.

The spin is ridiculous, guys. US wasn't so bad a couple of years ago. Now, it's truly scraping the bottom. Hell, the management has hit rock bottom and started to dig.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
I must have seriously lucked out. I did a quick MR LAX-PHL on Saturday and both flights were on time and in fact I arrived at both airports early (even with some mid-continent weather). The service was great and the FA's were all very pleasant and incredibly friendly. Both a/c were clean and seemed fully stocked (seatbacks, lavs). I honestly had nothing to complain about.

Then again I didn't check any luggage so I can't use that as a comparo.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:28 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Source: Forbes Magazine
1. Comair (Delta connection)
2. Atlantic Southeast (Delta connection)
3. American Eagle
4. Expressjet
5. US Airways
List is here.

Story is here.
Originally Posted by me4yankees
I clicked on your link and here is a correction to your list. US is only the 6th worst (but still the worst major)--you left out Mesa!

1. Comair
2. Atlantic Southeast
3. American Eagle
4. Mesa
5. Expressjet
6. US Airways
Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
And DL, AA, and UA are right behind US.

You guys are just trying to hate on US. Yes it is the Bus in the Sky. But when they are right there with the other big 3 and better than their RJ providers it looks to me they are all about even in this article/list.

Delta has 1 and 2 and 5 and 9.
AA has 3 and 7.
UA has 4 and 8.
US had 4 and 6.
CO has 5.

Looks to me that Delta is by far the worse airline to fly from this. AA and US are tied as 2nd worse. UA is 3rd worse. and CO is 4th worse.

Just what I see from this...
The reality is that this list has little to do with reality! I am no longer a supporter of US, this will likely be my last year of big flying on US, and I am planning a status match for 2008, probably to CO. However, I know a bushwacking or a mugging when I see one! First and foremost, what do Comair, Atlantic Southeast, American Eagle, Mesa, and Expressjet have to do with major legacy carriers? NOTHING!!! Second, when you eliminate those commuter carriers, yes, I agree that US is first on the remaining list, but AA is a close second, then UA, DL, and AS, and really, there is hardly a whit of difference between them!

6. US AirwaysOn-time performance: 68.3% (third worst)
Baggage mishandling: 8.6 per 1,000 passengers (seventh)
Cancellations: 1.9% (ninth)

7. American AirlinesOn-time performance: 69.9% (fifth worst)
Baggage mishandling: 5.8 per 1,000 passengers (11th)
Cancellations: 2.0% (eighth

8. United AirlinesOn-time performance: 72.4% (sixth worst)
Baggage mishandling: 5.4 per 1,000 passengers (12th)
Cancellations: 2.1% (seventh)

9. Delta Air LinesOn-time performance: 75% (fifth worst)
Baggage mishandling: 6.6 per 1,000 passengers (eighth)
Cancellations: 1.5% (13th)

10. Alaska AirlinesOn-time performance: 72.8% (eighth worst)
Baggage mishandling: 6.6 per 1,000 passengers (ninth)
Cancellations: 1.2% (15th)

Basically there is not a difference worth talking about between number 6, US and number 10, AS, and all in between.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
I can't believe Mesa isn't No. 1, either. Many, many times I have waited longer for the Mesa PHX-TUS connection than it would have taken to drive. Good thing wireless access is free in PHX!

I would like to see stats like this be arranged for the majors WITH their commuter flights -- i.e., include US and US's Mesa flights together, so it will more accurately inform the ticket-buying public, who may not realize who is actually operating the flight they are choosing.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by DesertRat
I can't believe Mesa isn't No. 1, either. Many, many times I have waited longer for the Mesa PHX-TUS connection than it would have taken to drive. Good thing wireless access is free in PHX!

I would like to see stats like this be arranged for the majors WITH their commuter flights -- i.e., include US and US's Mesa flights together, so it will more accurately inform the ticket-buying public, who may not realize who is actually operating the flight they are choosing.
There are three or four very valid reasons why commuters and majors are posted separately. 1 - In times of heavy traffic, larger planes with more passengers are given priority for takeoff, taxi, and landings over smaller planes with fewer passengers, thereby delaying commuter planes. 2 - In times of inclement weather, there are circumstances where larger planes can fly, where commuter planes cannot fly, thereby delaying commuter planes. 3 - Some commuter airlines fly for more than one major, such as Colgan Air, which flies as US Airways Express, United Express, and Continental Express, and Chautauqua Airlines, which flies as US Airways Express, American Connection, Delta Connection, Continental Express, and United Express, and there are several others. 4 - Some commuter airlines also operate their own scheduled service and chartered services, which would also affect their ratings, which would have nothing to do with the majors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.