Search

US Airways Standby Rules

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: nwa united delta
US Airways Standby Rules

Greetings:

I combed thos forum and found all sorts of information on US Air standby rules, mostly dating back to 2005. Perhaps it is time for some experts to recap recent rules/experiences.

While I am not one of the experts, I am looking to take advantage of it - DTW<-> LAS early am departure and red eye return; would like later standby for outbound, and early standby on return, all w/o paying. Possible?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
From US website, Move Up Program

Move-Up Program
The new US Airways* understands that travelers need flexibility in their schedule. That's why we allow you to "move up" to any earlier flight on the same day of your originally scheduled departure time at the airport (with the exception of flights to Hawaii and Europe). Please note: Day-of-departure changes may only be made at the airport and not through our Reservations centers.

If there is an open seat available on any earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may change to that flight and we will automatically confirm your reservation for $25 for flights within the 48 contiguous United States and $50 for flights to Latin America, the Caribbean, Canada and Alaska. This lower confirmation fee replaces the usual $100 change fee, plus any differences between your old fare and new fare, for non-refundable tickets.

If there is NOT an open seat available on an earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may stand by for that flight at no charge. Standing by at no charge is not permitted if we can confirm that there is an open seat available for that flight. Seats on completely booked flights may become available if passengers with confirmed reservations don't show up for the flight. Please note: Unlike a confirmed reservation, flying standby does not guarantee that you will get on the particular flight that you want and may involve waiting for two or more flights before a seat is available to you.

*Until such time that US Airways and America West are operating with one Reservations system, stand-by or move-up will only be permitted on the originally booked carrier. If your original flight is operated by America West, you will be able to stand-by or move-up on America West operated flights only and if your original booked flight is on US Airways, you will be able to stand-by or move-up on US Airways operated flights only. Please pardon our dust while we work on integrating our computer systems. We do apologize for this inconvenience while we become one airline.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:29 am

There is NO standby for a later flight. The only chance you would have is the 2 hr rule. If you checkin within 2 hrs of originally sched flight they will put you on the next avail flight-no fees-sb. If you arrive later than you will pay any change fees and additional fare for the new flight. Earlier flights are as posted above.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:28 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Had a wonderful agent this weekend who waived the $100 change fee + fare difference when I had to take a return segment a day early. Thus the rules are that (1) you can't fly standby on a later flight and (2) you have to pay $25 to go standby on an earlier flight (and these rules have been applied to me at least 80% of the time), there are exceptions, based on the agent.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
it all depends.....

I have never paid to fly on an earlier flight especially if it is oversold (they would never tell you that). I flew out of RIC this past fall and moved my flight up by arriving early enough for the flight before my originally scheduled one. Everytime, I got on that flight and paid $0. Then again, I am an elite, but would be curious to see if a non-elite got this treatment!
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:12 pm

If the flight is oversold you can standby on it for free. You just have to add your self to the standby list before check-in time closes for the oversold flight for no cost and then if people miss the check-in time then they start clearing standbys. I've done this several times before. You just have to know what the loads are like.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
2 hour rule

Originally Posted by PhxMama
There is NO standby for a later flight. The only chance you would have is the 2 hr rule. If you checkin within 2 hrs of originally sched flight they will put you on the next avail flight-no fees-sb. If you arrive later than you will pay any change fees and additional fare for the new flight. Earlier flights are as posted above.
Where can I find this policy on the UA Airways website?

Are you saying that if I have a 2pm flight and I get to the checkin counter before 4pm that they will put me on the next flight for no charge, eventhough I missed the flight?????
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Braswch

Are you saying that if I have a 2pm flight and I get to the checkin counter before 4pm that they will put me on the next flight for no charge, eventhough I missed the flight?????
They call this the "flat tire" rule, I think. Not sure if this is an official policy or not, but you might download the Terms of Transportation HERE.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:58 pm

Standby rules ??

Hi
I want to fly from CLE to LGA. I am booked on late night flight connecting via PHL. But my meetings are over early and I want to go stand by on early morning flight. US Airways has flights like every 2-3 hours.

Would I be allowed to do this ?

I tried calling but phone representative was not clear. One said I can go on one flight earlier and other said I can go on any flight ion the same day. I dont have status on US airways.

Gurus advice...

=ShyGuyCalif
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
You cannot do this over the phone, or they would ticket you at the walk-up fare (plus change fees). It's best to go to the airport and try to either get a confirmed standby for $25, or....if there seems to be plenty of availability....stand by at the gate.

I'm not sure how they work it with the connection, though. Someone else with experience doing this can probably clarify this.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:22 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by ShyGuyCalif
Hi
I want to fly from CLE to LGA. I am booked on late night flight connecting via PHL. But my meetings are over early and I want to go stand by on early morning flight. US Airways has flights like every 2-3 hours.

Would I be allowed to do this ?

I tried calling but phone representative was not clear. One said I can go on one flight earlier and other said I can go on any flight ion the same day. I dont have status on US airways.

Gurus advice...

=ShyGuyCalif
As SS255 says, it will cost you $25 as a non-elite and you'll have to do this at the airport. However, according to the rules below, you cannot standby at the gate for free if there are seats available. When you get there, be sure to ask if they can confirm you on an earlier PHL-LGA connection as well.

As far as which flights you can standby for - its any flight the same day - does not have to be the flight immediately preceding your scheduled flight:

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content.../benefits.aspx

MOVE UP PROGRAM

We allow you to 'move up' to any earlier flight on the same day of your originally scheduled departure time at the airport (with the exception of flights to Hawaii and Europe). You can only make day-of-departure changes at the airport (and not by calling Reservations).

If there is an open seat available on any earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may change to that flight and we will automatically confirm your reservation for $25 for flights within the 48 contiguous United States and $50 for flights to Latin America, the Caribbean, Canada and Alaska. This lower confirmation fee replaces the usual $100 change fee, plus any differences between your old fare and new fare, for non-refundable tickets.

If there is not an open seat on an earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may stand by for that flight at no charge. Standing by at no charge is not permitted if we can confirm that there is an open seat available for that flight. Seats on completely booked flights may become available if passengers with confirmed reservations don't show up for the flight. Please note: Unlike a confirmed reservation, flying standby does not guarantee that you will get on the particular flight that you want and may involve waiting for two or more flights before a seat is available to you.

Last edited by dstan; Feb 8, 2008 at 4:31 pm Reason: Added highlights as I now see that me4yankees beat me to this quote by nearly a year :)
Old Feb 7, 2008, 5:29 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles - Gold
Originally Posted by Braswch

It is an official policy within the airline but it is unwritten. The airline wants to encourage people to show up on-time for their flights and publishing this rule may encourage people to take their time.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 4:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
So now US lets people go standby on later flights? In my experience, it's been only earlier flights, not later, unless you miss your flight and get re-booked on a later one if you show up at the airport asap.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 4:29 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
So now US lets people go standby on later flights? In my experience, it's been only earlier flights, not later, unless you miss your flight and get re-booked on a later one if you show up at the airport asap.
I don't think that voluntary standby on a later flight has been suggested here. As you said, this only comes into play if you miss your flight.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA, DL, CO, NW, UA, HY, MC Gold, HH Gold
What about SB that has already been Upgraded??

We are booked on a 7pm flt ORF-CLT-LAS. We are hoping for a Silver upgrade CLT-LAS. But we also may be able to leave earlier in the day. If we get to the airport and standby for an earlier flight (assuming we get the upgrade) will they stand us by for coach or the upgraded seats?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.