FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Airways Standby Rules
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:22 pm
dstan
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by ShyGuyCalif
Hi
I want to fly from CLE to LGA. I am booked on late night flight connecting via PHL. But my meetings are over early and I want to go stand by on early morning flight. US Airways has flights like every 2-3 hours.

Would I be allowed to do this ?

I tried calling but phone representative was not clear. One said I can go on one flight earlier and other said I can go on any flight ion the same day. I dont have status on US airways.

Gurus advice...

=ShyGuyCalif
As SS255 says, it will cost you $25 as a non-elite and you'll have to do this at the airport. However, according to the rules below, you cannot standby at the gate for free if there are seats available. When you get there, be sure to ask if they can confirm you on an earlier PHL-LGA connection as well.

As far as which flights you can standby for - its any flight the same day - does not have to be the flight immediately preceding your scheduled flight:

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content.../benefits.aspx

MOVE UP PROGRAM

We allow you to 'move up' to any earlier flight on the same day of your originally scheduled departure time at the airport (with the exception of flights to Hawaii and Europe). You can only make day-of-departure changes at the airport (and not by calling Reservations).

If there is an open seat available on any earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may change to that flight and we will automatically confirm your reservation for $25 for flights within the 48 contiguous United States and $50 for flights to Latin America, the Caribbean, Canada and Alaska. This lower confirmation fee replaces the usual $100 change fee, plus any differences between your old fare and new fare, for non-refundable tickets.

If there is not an open seat on an earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may stand by for that flight at no charge. Standing by at no charge is not permitted if we can confirm that there is an open seat available for that flight. Seats on completely booked flights may become available if passengers with confirmed reservations don't show up for the flight. Please note: Unlike a confirmed reservation, flying standby does not guarantee that you will get on the particular flight that you want and may involve waiting for two or more flights before a seat is available to you.

Last edited by dstan; Feb 8, 2008 at 4:31 pm Reason: Added highlights as I now see that me4yankees beat me to this quote by nearly a year :)