Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Preferred Promo: Everything Counts (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by sdlevi27
I'll believe it when I see it. If anyone is flying today please report the results back here when your miles have posted.
Yeah, please do in six to eight weeks.....
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
I don't believe I would be booking any MR until this is cleared up. This is so poorly written it is hard to tell what they really mean. I do not see any reference anywhere that says bonus miles on US count toward status. However it does say this....

You can earn Preferred-qualifying miles with your hotel stays and car rentals, and even by sending flowers! Add that to the Preferred-qualifying miles you already earn flying on US and all Star Alliance partners, and getting to Preferred status has never been faster or easier.

Looks to me to be hotels, etc. only.......
I agree the wording is horrible, but if you read it this way it adds up:

"Only miles earned from Dividend Miles qualifying partners listed above (in addition to Star Alliance member airlines..."

plus

"Base, Bonus, and ADD miles earned through qualifying partners are included in this promotion"

Would make you think that bonus miles on *A airlines (plus the other random ones) would count. But we won't know for sure until the miles post to someone's account for flights starting yesterday.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1k, Qantas, Delta, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I'll believe it when I see it. If anyone is flying today please report the results back here when your miles have posted.
I flew yesterday (Oct 1), which I guess was the first day of the promo. So hopefully I'll see this within a few days....
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold

Would make you think that bonus miles on *A airlines (plus the other random ones) would count.
That is my point, I do not think they will count. Only the base miles will count.

I think the confusion may be coming from other programs like Marriott where I get base points for the stay and then bonus points because of status. To me that is where the bonus miles are coming from. The only qualifying partners are listed by their logo in the body of the message. As far as the airlines, you get base miles already toward status. They were not listed as qualifing partners

Again, this is a horrible example of wording for a promo. My guess there are going to be a lot of angry folks before this over. But then maybe not as you guys have become numb to what Tempe is doing to you time after time after time.......

Any bets on how long it takes to the clear this up on the web page or other means. My guess? As long as it has taken them to stop the mis-information about upgrades and go first and I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Oct 2, 2006 at 10:52 am
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by hoobly
I flew yesterday (Oct 1), which I guess was the first day of the promo. So hopefully I'll see this within a few days....
Come to think of it.. the tail end of my red-eye was yesterday... hopefully it'll post tonight... maybe I'm not awake yet.

Anyone want to send me flowers to see how quickly those post?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Alphaguy

Come to think of it.. the tail end of my red-eye was yesterday... hopefully it'll post tonight... maybe I'm not awake yet.

Anyone want to send me flowers to see how quickly those post?
You could call the DMSC and have them "force" the posting right now (and it would put a lot of this discussion to bed, too!)
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:24 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Looks to me to be hotels, cars, flowers, etc. only.......
I agree with L4PI on this. It's gonna be flowers, hotels, cars and then your normal EQMs on flights.

I'd love to be wrong on this, but if you think about it, it's the cheapest way for US to do this: the car, hotel, flower places pay US for the miles. The "cost" to US of making those into preferred miles is pretty trivial, whereas handing out massive numbers of "double preferred miles" on flights would have a nontrivial impact on the bottom line.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Let's see, if I have my Marriott family stays post to US instead of Marriott I get (max) 2 miles per $ instead of 13 Marriott points. No thanks. The only way one can earn significant points with this promo without dilution is FTD imho. 20 miles per $ spent and counts as elite qualification.

There is an Avis promo for 1000 bonus miles per rental through the end of the year if you use their AWD. I am required to use our corporate AWD so this won't work for me.

Too bad iDine aka Rewards Network isn't included!
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:37 am

Programs: US-CP
handing out massive numbers of "double preferred miles" on flights would have a nontrivial impact on the bottom line.
Exactly. This impact on the bottom line will be especially true as people begin to dump their refundable US Airways tickets for UA tickets in order to receive EQM status bonuses.

I, for one, will be one of those people if this nonsense comes to pass.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I agree with L4PI on this. It's gonna be flowers, hotels, cars and then your normal EQMs on flights.

I'd love to be wrong on this, but if you think about it, it's the cheapest way for US to do this: the car, hotel, flower places pay US for the miles. The "cost" to US of making those into preferred miles is pretty trivial, whereas handing out massive numbers of "double preferred miles" on flights would have a nontrivial impact on the bottom line.
The only difference, though, is people winding up with a higher-than-earned status. I wonder what the marginal cost is to have a GP wind up as a PP? I wouldn't guess very much at all - probably less than the revenue generated by that GP doing a couple of MRs to make it.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Karen_123987
Exactly. This impact on the bottom line will be especially true as people begin to dump their refundable US Airways tickets for UA tickets in order to receive EQM status bonuses.

I, for one, will be one of those people if this nonsense comes to pass.
I don't understand. Why would people dump US because of a US promo?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:01 pm

usairways.com updated with additional information

Looks like we struck out. In the T&C:

"Bonus flight miles on US Airways and our airline partners and hotel transfer miles are not eligible"

Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:12 pm

Programs: US-CP
I don't understand. Why would people dump US because of a US promo?
Moot point now since sdlevi27 posted the updated information, but I'll answer anyway.

Nowhere in the terms previously on the promo did it suggest that status bonus miles counted for flights taken on US Airways. The grey area appeared to be for bonus miles on partners.

So, if EQMs could be awarded through bonus miles earned on partners, but not on US Airways, I would probably choose United for the refundable tickets I have booked.

Like I said, moot point. The promo is right sized now, and makes at least some sense.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: ex-US Chairman UA 1K
Well I am taking advantage of this. My calculations put me shy of chairman's status for the year by about 10K with travel I know of through the end of the year. Just spent $220 at FTD and have another $280 to go to have no worries of requalifying as chairman. While I normally wouldn't spend $500 in a year on flowers, it beats doing mileage runs, and the extra brownie points I will get from my wife and family for flowers cant be beat! I love this promo!
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by stantonhog
Well I am taking advantage of this. My calculations put me shy of chairman's status for the year by about 10K with travel I know of through the end of the year. Just spent $220 at FTD and have another $280 to go to have no worries of requalifying as chairman. While I normally wouldn't spend $500 in a year on flowers, it beats doing mileage runs, and the extra brownie points I will get from my wife and family for flowers cant be beat! I love this promo!
I agree.. note to self:
Flowers for the fiance
Flowers for mom
Flowers for fiance's mom
Flowers for fiance's grandmother...
And so on.

Actually this saves me from booking a flight on USAIR... which I would have done rather then buy flowers... Now rather than two trips to PHL, I can send flowers... (Excellent Smithers...) $100 RT to Philly is 1000 preferred miles.. now I get 2000 and don't need to go.

I would have preffered the bonus miles though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.