Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver Challange?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2004, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Silver Challange?

Could someone tell me how this works? I will be flying west a couple times in the next 3 months. Do you sign up or rather request this at FF number? If you are flying say on the 10th of the month should you sign up on the 7th or 8th to give yourself more time to complete the challange? Thanks.
Old May 16, 2004, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by MELA
Could someone tell me how this works? I will be flying west a couple times in the next 3 months. Do you sign up or rather request this at FF number? If you are flying say on the 10th of the month should you sign up on the 7th or 8th to give yourself more time to complete the challange? Thanks.

I did this for a non FF Elite relative earlier. You call the flight fund desk (The agents at the main number won't know what you are talking about) and ask for the Silver Challenge. You may have to explain to them exactly what the silver challenge is (perhaps they keep it under wraps and play dumb for a little bit so everybody and their cousin doesn't get it). Then they will explain to you the terms of the deal (6k miles or 6 segments in 90 days). They may ask you for upcoming confirmation codes and details of HP travel. The woman explained that they need to verify upcoming HP travel (at least more than 1 flight) because they don't want people to get themselves comped and then never fly HP again once they get the free upgrade.

Anyway, if you are polite and are obviously a customer with some loyalty toward HP and can document a future w/ the carrier you should have no problem.

Hope this helps!

AgtMulder
Old May 16, 2004, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by MELA
Regarding the 2nd part of your post which I completely forgot to answer... The agent advised it takes about a week to get your comped silver elite card in the mail. So if you are flying on the 10th, I'd register on the 2nd or 3rd. However you will show up in the computer immediately as a Silver Elite member.
Old May 17, 2004, 2:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HP Gold
Immediate Silver status?

Geez,

every time I see this, I can't help but be annoyed. Well, I guess, I shouldn't complain. If they offered a Plat comp with say 20 legs in 90 days or something like that I would jump at the chance.

I just used 20,000 miles to get my wife and I upgrade on a flight this week to DFW from ONT. How silly, I could have just got her a silver challenge and gotten myself the free upgrade, and possibly her.

Ed
Old May 17, 2004, 10:23 am

Gold is 11,500 or 14 segments. Plat is 18k or 22 segments.
Old May 17, 2004, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by LiquidLifeUSA
Geez,

every time I see this, I can't help but be annoyed. Well, I guess, I shouldn't complain. If they offered a Plat comp with say 20 legs in 90 days or something like that I would jump at the chance.

I just used 20,000 miles to get my wife and I upgrade on a flight this week to DFW from ONT. How silly, I could have just got her a silver challenge and gotten myself the free upgrade, and possibly her.

Ed
With HPs new lower first class fares it is very common now to not be upgraded if your Silver...So do not feel like you lost out on an upgrade becasue odds are you were not going to get an upgrade. If you want to be sure of an upgrade now a days I strongly suggest you buy a first class ticket or use miles.
Old May 19, 2004, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Emailing the service center works much better. Say that you have a lot of upcoming travel to the West this year and wish to try out HP's service and "award winning elite program." It's a guaranteed way to get the status. I think I'm a bad person, because I'm one of those people who signed my mother up for a Silver challenge just for the free upgrade on flight.

She ended up qualifying though since it's only 6,000 miles to silver, and the flight was from DCA to I don't even remember where now.

Last edited by GotCalcio4; Jan 3, 2005 at 7:12 pm
Old Jun 20, 2004, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Hello, I just found this forum as I never was a frequent flyer until just recently with my new job. I was wondering does HP still have this offer? I am trying to get to Silver Elite as so far many of the flights I've been on have had open First Class seats but I am not Elite yet to get bumped. Since April 26th I've taken 9 segments and flown ~8K miles and have another 4 segments and 3K miles coming up the week after this one. We only make plans out a week or so so i don't know what's after that. And is it best to call them or email them? I'd really like to get moved up to Silver Elite now instead of waiting for my 30 segments but I realize this post is a bit old and wanted to find out if it was still available.

Thanks,

Lance
Old Jun 20, 2004, 9:39 am

Just call the FF desk, ask to be enrolled in the Silver Challenge, and you will be given Silver Status instantly.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:40 am

Ord26,

Thanks for the info. Called up and got registered to silver. At least now I can board early if nothing else.

Lance
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Ord26,

Thanks for the info. Called up and got registered to silver. At least now I can board early if nothing else.

Lance

It's not a bad program. They don't seem to mind comping you if you have a history with HP. However, I've tried to call to get somebody comped for their first HP flight and man oh man did they put me through the ringer.

Enjoy HP.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 1:06 pm

Well I've been FF member for about 10 years or so I think I know it's been a while just never really flew much. Most of our miles come from our FF credit cards. But now I should be flying at least a couple trips a month if not every week. The main reason I want Elite status is I like sitting in the front of the plane and I always board last which gives me no place for my Laptop bag. This way I can board early and at least have an overhead bin for it. The upgrades would be nice if they happen but isn't my main reason for wanting the status.

Thanks again for the info....

Lance
Old Jun 20, 2004, 6:32 pm

Programs: HP Silver Elite, HHonors
Talking Great Info, I will call tomorrow

Wow, great info, now I can get upgraded to Silver (I have already flown 2 segments and have another 6 lined up), plus my wife can go from Silver to Gold - She was nominated by a Plat member, but she has been travelling alot lately for work, 12 segments in 6 weeks.

Thanks for the info....

KJ
Old Jun 20, 2004, 8:21 pm

I wish they would have counted at least the 4 segments I flew last week but they only counted starting today. So I have nothing this week but 4 lined up the week after and then I'll only need to make a round trip to get my full silver package. I have to "print" out the website showing I'm silver so I can board early and use the Elite line at the airport but that isn't a huge deal.

Lance
Old Jun 21, 2004, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
I wish they would have counted at least the 4 segments I flew last week but they only counted starting today. So I have nothing this week but 4 lined up the week after and then I'll only need to make a round trip to get my full silver package. I have to "print" out the website showing I'm silver so I can board early and use the Elite line at the airport but that isn't a huge deal.

Lance
You should receive a Silver Guest card in about 1 week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.