Silver Challange?

Old May 9, 2005, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
Timing SNAFU

HP Flight Fund is just too efficient! Called for the Trial Elite today with my flight PHX-DCA on Friday May 13. They enrolled me today before I could tell the agent I wanted the enrollment effective Friday. I have flights to SEA on July 30-Aug 14.

Any idea how picky they are about 90 days vs. 91 or 94? What are my chances of writing to them if they say I'm SOL?
Old May 10, 2005, 12:11 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Talking

Originally Posted by jan_az
Your info on the American Challange is incorrect. You can attempt it lots of times - as long as you dont currently have the status you are challenging for. COMPS are different
That is correct, they told me several years ago that i could go for Gold this year and then go for Platinum next year if I wanted to. No restriction apparently.
Old May 15, 2005, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by AZ Boomer
HP Flight Fund is just too efficient! Called for the Trial Elite today with my flight PHX-DCA on Friday May 13. They enrolled me today before I could tell the agent I wanted the enrollment effective Friday. I have flights to SEA on July 30-Aug 14.

Any idea how picky they are about 90 days vs. 91 or 94? What are my chances of writing to them if they say I'm SOL?
I had the opposite experience...I emailed them around May 1 requesting to be signed up before a flight on May 17, and the agent responded that she would wait until May 13 to enroll me to give me the maximum time for the challenge. I was skeptical that she would remember, but lo and behold I got a confirmation email on May 13
Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA GoldMM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AVIS President's Club
Does anyone know the date after which if you qualify for the Challenge you will also get that Status for the whole next year and not have it expire on Feb 28th?
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:24 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
No idea... but I did just use the Internet chat feature to have an HP agent sign me up for the challenge!
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:39 pm

do you think FF will do this retroactively? I've flown 4 segments the past month (I know, not much by other standards) and have a one or two planned segments on HP again this month. since i'm in AZ now, I'd like the status since I'll be flying HP much more
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt they will do this retroactively.

I talked to several people there and no one could tell me about the cutoff date.

One agent told me that you are allowed one challenge per year. So, she said, come next 3/1, just sign up for another one.

One agent told me they will manually evaluate whether to give you the 2006-2007 elite based on how often you flew.

So, who knows.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:18 pm

Programs: UNITED 1K (1 MILLION MILE FLYER), MARRIOTT PLATINUM,HILTON DIAMOND
Challenge Answer

I talked with America West this week regarding this exact scenario. I was told by an agent who sounded like she knew the "Truth". Her exact words " You are only allowed ONE challenge in your lifetime. Wait till Jan 1, 2006 because the Trial Elite Staus only lasts until Feb of the following year. In otherwards you could meet all the Challenge Requirements in November or December of 2005, and your Elite status only lasts until February 2006". Hope this helps. God Bless
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MISSION
I talked with America West this week regarding this exact scenario. I was told by an agent who sounded like she knew the "Truth". Her exact words " You are only allowed ONE challenge in your lifetime. Wait till Jan 1, 2006 because the Trial Elite Staus only lasts until Feb of the following year. In otherwards you could meet all the Challenge Requirements in November or December of 2005, and your Elite status only lasts until February 2006". Hope this helps. God Bless
Well I have to say I've asked several about it when I signed up and was told it's once per year. Status match was once in a lifetime but challenges were once per year.

Lance
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:45 pm

I can't think it would actually be once per lifetime. Given that all the other airlines offer them annually I think HP/US has the same policies.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not once in a lifetime since I am already on my 2nd challenge.

Of course, rules might change after the merger - for worse probably.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:32 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by PHXonUA
Does anyone know the date after which if you qualify for the Challenge you will also get that Status for the whole next year and not have it expire on Feb 28th?
I just got an email from AWA. It is only good until Feb of the following year. So it is best to wait until Janurary to sign up for this.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by PHXonUA
I signed up Oct 2004, reached 6K miles in Dec 2004, and my Silver is good until Feb 2006. My guess is that as long as the LAST day of your challenge period falls into next year, that it would be good all of that year.

BTW - due to job change I ended up not traveling much in 2005 - but was upgraded PHX-FLL( ), and PHX-SLC( ) out of 5 segments flown in non-crjs.

Last edited by Chuckles; Oct 9, 2005 at 4:10 pm
Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:16 am

I guess I've just been lucky, but I have not sat in an HP Y seat since I was granted Silver Elite. Five for five on upgrades, including two long-haul transcon legs. I hope this continues
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:26 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Is there any update to this since the merge? Has anyone tried to get a challenge recently?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.