Wiki Posts
Search

US newbie - 1st trip this week

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: no elite status, but i get around
Question US newbie - 1st trip this week

Flying on US this week for the first time in 20 yrs. Decided to enroll in Dividend program too, so I don't miss out on trans-con mileage.
Questions for this audience:
  1. Dividend vs AAdvantage - any thoughts? I picked Dividend for no reason other than that's who I'm flying. Not sure how much flying I'll do on either carrier in the future. Possible relocation to MCO is pending.
  2. No advance seats at booking - what can I expect at 24 hr check-in? Are Choice seats open to all for free? How about other blocked seats, i.e. exit row? Middle seats are my worst enemy, but $89 each leg for Choice is brutal, especially if I can get it for free at check-in.
  3. Any idea how much a paid upgrade is for MCO-PHX?

Thanks to those who reply with feedback. ^
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: US Chairman's, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Etc.
Originally Posted by airplanegeek
Flying on US this week for the first time in 20 yrs. Decided to enroll in Dividend program too, so I don't miss out on trans-con mileage.
Questions for this audience:
  1. Dividend vs AAdvantage - any thoughts? I picked Dividend for no reason other than that's who I'm flying. Not sure how much flying I'll do on either carrier in the future. Possible relocation to MCO is pending.
  2. No advance seats at booking - what can I expect at 24 hr check-in? Are Choice seats open to all for free? How about other blocked seats, i.e. exit row? Middle seats are my worst enemy, but $89 each leg for Choice is brutal, especially if I can get it for free at check-in.
  3. Any idea how much a paid upgrade is for MCO-PHX?

Thanks to those who reply with feedback. ^
I don't know the answer to #3, and quite frankly #1 is a toss-up, since presumably the miles will be combined sometime next year. With respect to #2, choice seats are not available at the 24-hour check-in (even to elite members) - in my experience, they become available somewhere around 45 minutes before a flight if you get a really nice gate agent and you're really polite. However, there may be other non-"choice" seats that become available between now and the flight, so keep checking. On a related note, you probably already know this, but the "choice" seats are exactly the same as regular seats - other than being further forward - no extra leg room, etc., as with American's MCE or United's E+. Good luck!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
1. Agree with PHLDividends. Likely won't make much difference as they're going to be combined. Although it may have been easier to sign up for AA since everyone will eventually have an AA account.
2. I'm just a lowly Silver, but I could've sworn Choice Seats are available to me at time of booking (and at check-in, when the Exit Rows are available as well). I could be wrong but I don't believe non-preferred's have access to Choice Seats or Exit Rows at all. Before I had any status I used to like sitting in the back as it at least got me earlier boarding.
3. No idea
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
AA miles are easier to redeem if you don't have a lot of them since you can (only) book 1 ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.