Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PSA livery just landed at PHX (US a/c livery discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

PSA livery just landed at PHX (US a/c livery discussion)

Just saw a US air flt with PSA title on tail with PSA colors. How many of these remain?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:48 pm

PSA livery just landed at PHX

It's one of the legacy airplanes. There's one painted in PSA, one in Piedmont, one in Allegheny and one in America West.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Did American/US Air/America West run out of paint?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
It's one of the legacy airplanes. There's one painted in PSA, one in Piedmont, one in Allegheny and one in America West.
There's actually two America West planes - one in turquoise/orange and the other in maroon/grey/blue. I see both fairly frequently around PHX, but I think I've only seen the PSA one once and I've never seen the Piedmont or Allegheny (that I recognized at least). The old AWA planes always make me smile for some reason... especially the turquoise one
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by skitch23
There's actually two America West planes - one in turquoise/orange and the other in maroon/grey/blue. I see both fairly frequently around PHX, but I think I've only seen the PSA one once and I've never seen the Piedmont or Allegheny (that I recognized at least). The old AWA planes always make me smile for some reason... especially the turquoise one
I saw the PSA and Allegheny planes in PHX recently and have been lucky enough to fly on both HP liveries a few times this year.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Was this what you saw?

I took this photo of N742PS at ORD (PSA Livery was at Gate F8) at the beginning of this trip: Palaces, Temples, Boats & Beaches! *A TPAC & TATL in J (TG A380 US BR & UA) & PG in Y
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I saw the America West plane at PHL last week. It's been a while since I've flown and my first reaction was "wow, that plane is OLD".
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I've seen the PSA aircraft multiple times on the east coast -- PHL, DCA, CLT, etc, but don't recall ever seeing it in PHX. Must be on some different routes these days.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Yes that is exactly what I did see today from highway 143 which landing the usual East to West landing at PHX Sky Harbor Airport. Usually it is the unusual large shadow of a BA 747 landing at PHX that catches my attention.

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Was this what you saw?

I took this photo of N742PS at ORD (PSA Livery was at Gate F8) at the beginning of this trip: Palaces, Temples, Boats & Beaches! *A TPAC & TATL in J (TG A380 US BR & UA) & PG in Y
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:14 am

I can't help myself, but I wonder which aircraft, after US gets folded into the "new american" is so close to being scrapped that it doesn't get new paint - becoming the US "legacy plane"

Apologies for not indicating sarcasm or a bad attempt at humor originally - the legacy liveries are neat to see.

Last edited by LowlyDLsilver; Jun 27, 2014 at 1:54 pm
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:47 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
I can't help myself, but I wonder which aircraft, after US gets folded into the "new american" is so close to being scrapped that it doesn't get new paint - becoming the US "legacy plane"
There's 9 737-400's and 8 767-200's that are retiring in the near future. I don't see any reason they would be painted to the new livery.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: None
Assuming that the legacy planes are continued, they'll almost certainly use a US plane that's going to be around - preferably one that was painted shortly before this merger. If past practice is used, it'll be a narrow-body Airbus as are the current legacy liveries despite PI and PSA never operating Airbuses. Neither did US until Wolf placed orders/options for over 400 Airbuses with deliveries starting in 1998 (I think). Only HP operated Airbuses prior to that.

Jim
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
DP has said there will be a TW legacy plane, so I'm guessing the US-heritage will remain as well.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
Actually A319s in legacy livery had new paint on it to honor the past airlines. I suspect you will see a US legacy livery with AA as well.

Reason why you don't see many crossing East/West is that they are A319s so they are mostly used for more local routes. You see plenty of legacy livery ones in CLT and PHL.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:49 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by iztok
Reason why you don't see many crossing East/West is that they are A319s so they are mostly used for more local routes. You see plenty of legacy livery ones in CLT and PHL.
The US 319's used to cross the country more. The entire design was based on building a narrow body plane that could exceed the 737 (at the time) in range to create a true USA transcon aircraft. PHL-LAX had a lot of 319's on them before the 321's became the primary replacement to the 757 for that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.