FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   PSA livery just landed at PHX (US a/c livery discussion) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1588854-psa-livery-just-landed-phx-us-c-livery-discussion.html)

Centurion Jun 26, 2014 6:29 pm

PSA livery just landed at PHX (US a/c livery discussion)

Just saw a US air flt with PSA title on tail with PSA colors. How many of these remain?

GalleyWench Jun 26, 2014 6:48 pm

PSA livery just landed at PHX

It's one of the legacy airplanes. There's one painted in PSA, one in Piedmont, one in Allegheny and one in America West.

Centurion Jun 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Did American/US Air/America West run out of paint? :)

skitch23 Jun 26, 2014 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by GalleyWench (Post 23102773)
It's one of the legacy airplanes. There's one painted in PSA, one in Piedmont, one in Allegheny and one in America West.

There's actually two America West planes - one in turquoise/orange and the other in maroon/grey/blue. I see both fairly frequently around PHX, but I think I've only seen the PSA one once and I've never seen the Piedmont or Allegheny (that I recognized at least). The old AWA planes always make me smile for some reason... especially the turquoise one :)

Michael El Jun 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23 (Post 23103091)
There's actually two America West planes - one in turquoise/orange and the other in maroon/grey/blue. I see both fairly frequently around PHX, but I think I've only seen the PSA one once and I've never seen the Piedmont or Allegheny (that I recognized at least). The old AWA planes always make me smile for some reason... especially the turquoise one :)

I saw the PSA and Allegheny planes in PHX recently and have been lucky enough to fly on both HP liveries a few times this year.

FindAWay Jun 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Was this what you saw?

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-pa...20IMG_2815.JPG

I took this photo of N742PS at ORD (PSA Livery was at Gate F8) at the beginning of this trip: Palaces, Temples, Boats & Beaches! *A TPAC & TATL in J (TG A380 US BR & UA) & PG in Y

bitburgr Jun 26, 2014 8:38 pm

I saw the America West plane at PHL last week. It's been a while since I've flown and my first reaction was "wow, that plane is OLD".

AZ Travels the World Jun 26, 2014 8:40 pm

I've seen the PSA aircraft multiple times on the east coast -- PHL, DCA, CLT, etc, but don't recall ever seeing it in PHX. Must be on some different routes these days.

Centurion Jun 27, 2014 1:17 am

Yes that is exactly what I did see today from highway 143 which landing the usual East to West landing at PHX Sky Harbor Airport. Usually it is the unusual large shadow of a BA 747 landing at PHX that catches my attention.

Originally Posted by FindAWay (Post 23103156)
Was this what you saw?

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-pa...20IMG_2815.JPG

I took this photo of N742PS at ORD (PSA Livery was at Gate F8) at the beginning of this trip: Palaces, Temples, Boats & Beaches! *A TPAC & TATL in J (TG A380 US BR & UA) & PG in Y

LowlyDLsilver Jun 27, 2014 6:14 am

I can't help myself, but I wonder which aircraft, after US gets folded into the "new american" is so close to being scrapped that it doesn't get new paint - becoming the US "legacy plane"

Apologies for not indicating sarcasm or a bad attempt at humor originally - the legacy liveries are neat to see.

PHL Jun 27, 2014 8:47 am

Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver (Post 23104673)
I can't help myself, but I wonder which aircraft, after US gets folded into the "new american" is so close to being scrapped that it doesn't get new paint - becoming the US "legacy plane"

There's 9 737-400's and 8 767-200's that are retiring in the near future. I don't see any reason they would be painted to the new livery.

BoeingBoy Jun 27, 2014 11:57 am

Assuming that the legacy planes are continued, they'll almost certainly use a US plane that's going to be around - preferably one that was painted shortly before this merger. If past practice is used, it'll be a narrow-body Airbus as are the current legacy liveries despite PI and PSA never operating Airbuses. Neither did US until Wolf placed orders/options for over 400 Airbuses with deliveries starting in 1998 (I think). Only HP operated Airbuses prior to that.

Jim

sbbutler93 Jun 27, 2014 12:48 pm

DP has said there will be a TW legacy plane, so I'm guessing the US-heritage will remain as well.

iztok Jun 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver (Post 23104673)

Actually A319s in legacy livery had new paint on it to honor the past airlines. I suspect you will see a US legacy livery with AA as well.

Reason why you don't see many crossing East/West is that they are A319s so they are mostly used for more local routes. You see plenty of legacy livery ones in CLT and PHL.

PHL Jun 27, 2014 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by iztok (Post 23106827)
Reason why you don't see many crossing East/West is that they are A319s so they are mostly used for more local routes. You see plenty of legacy livery ones in CLT and PHL.

The US 319's used to cross the country more. The entire design was based on building a narrow body plane that could exceed the 737 (at the time) in range to create a true USA transcon aircraft. PHL-LAX had a lot of 319's on them before the 321's became the primary replacement to the 757 for that route.