Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by lizs
I need to book a transcon in mid-January, am I reading correctly that it seems I could book on United OR American at that point?
Rumors /hints / indications suggest this is a possibility, but it is critical to note that nothing has been officially announced yet (and probably won't be until at least next Monday 12/9 when the merger officially closes)
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by DCann
I saw this posted in the AA forum:

American Airlines: Challenges Ahead Include Merging Systems, Changing Alliances, and Aligning In-Flight Service

It sounds like there will be some major improvements on the US side if this is true.
I don't know much about American, what kind of improvements are we supposed to expect?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I don't know much about American, what kind of improvements are we supposed to expect?
From the article: "American and US will slowly begin to align their product offerings, including meals, in-flight entertainment, and seating. The merged airline will use the current American product as its template and, as a result, the current US Airways product will be greatly enhanced to ensure uniformity across both airlines until they are merged under one operating certificate.

There are two additional key dates later in the year, according to people familiar with the matter. On April 1, US Airways will adopt American’s meal windows and catering, and on September 1, the US Airways soft product (i.e. in-flight service) will mirror American’s. Also by that date, new aircraft being delivered to US Airways will have the new AA interiors. A spokesman for US Airways would not comment specifically about these plans."
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by austin_res
From the article: "American and US will slowly begin to align their product offerings, including meals, in-flight entertainment, and seating. The merged airline will use the current American product as its template and, as a result, the current US Airways product will be greatly enhanced to ensure uniformity across both airlines until they are merged under one operating certificate.

There are two additional key dates later in the year, according to people familiar with the matter. On April 1, US Airways will adopt American’s meal windows and catering, and on September 1, the US Airways soft product (i.e. in-flight service) will mirror American’s. Also by that date, new aircraft being delivered to US Airways will have the new AA interiors. A spokesman for US Airways would not comment specifically about these plans."
I read that, but what the Author doesn't say is what makes the product offerings of American that much better than US.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: AA, UA
I read that, but what the Author doesn't say is what makes the product offerings of American that much better than US.
AA has more generous meal windows: 2 hours vs 3.5 hours on US. AA's newer planes have IFE. AA offers extra legroom seats.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:51 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
On a brighter note...

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....light-service/
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by flight62
That exact same article is what we have been discussing since the last page.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:19 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
That exact same article is what we have been discussing since the last page.
Sorry. Late for the party.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by flight62
Sorry. Late for the party.
Just a slight delay due to crew availability
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
I'm not sure many are saying that Doug Parker=Jeff Smisek. Many on the AA boards (including me) believe:

1)Mergers in general are bad for customers.
2)DP will "lower value" for customers. Could be from devaluing miles to loss of service, etc.
1)Ostensibly it seems US F/A and AA F/A union heads don't see "eye-to-eye.
2)US Airways employees are happy because it = instant pay raise.
3)AA employees are happy because a)we got rid of "evil" management and b)we needed to merge so we can compete with UA/DL.

We'll see what happens in 2-3 years time how happy everyone is.
+1
I believe that basically everyone but DP will be unhappy in three years. I hope that I am wrong... And yes, the everyone will include the unions, the customers, and the DOJ.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by RDUpax
+1
I believe that basically everyone but DP will be unhappy in three years. I hope that I am wrong... And yes, the everyone will include the unions, the customers, and the DOJ.
Well, I'm a US elite and long both LCC and AAMRQ. Let's just call that a hedged position
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:02 am

US Airways Club- Admiral's Club

The AmEx thread about losing access to the US Airways Club and Admiral's Club got me thinking what is going on with my membership at the US Airways Club.

I assume that when US Airways leaves Star that I will lose access to Star lounges and the United Clubs at about the same time, but has anyone heard anything definite as to a date.

Also has anyone heard if we are getting access to Admiral Clubs (and when) and if they will issue new cards to allow us in OneWorld clubs.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by austin_res
…the current US Airways product will be greatly enhanced…
I really hope they are not using BA's definition of "enhanced".
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by abeflyer
Also has anyone heard if we are getting access to Admiral Clubs (and when) and if they will issue new cards to allow us in OneWorld clubs.
Nothing has been announced at all.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Status on AA (as a US preferred) before systems integration

Has there been any talk about if we'll receive benefits on AA before the complete systems integration? I'm a US CP with 0 status on AA. I just booked 3 different flights on AA in Jan/Feb 2014 on the hopeful theory that (1) I will get PQMs for 2014 and (2) I will at least get a preferred seat sometime between now and 48 hours before flight time, based on my US status. It looks like #1 will happen based on the announcement of the January 7, 2014 date for reciprocal benefits -- but what will that really mean? What I really need is to be able to get preferred seats and preferred boarding (traveling with kids).

Last edited by masonuc; Dec 4, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.