Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy miles and get up to a 100% Bonus (March 15 - April 15)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 3:59 am

details for the march 15 100% offer

hi guys

can you help me understanding the details of this offer?

my first questions is: how many miles can be bought to profit from the 50%+50% offer? only one time 50.000 or two times 50.000? on the homepage they write "The maximum number of combined bonus miles that can be received by one member for this offer is 50,000". So do they mean 25.000 from dividend miles and 25.000 from points.com and that's it? or two times 25.000 from dividend miles as the points.com bonus miles will be awarded later on anyways?

second question: do you know when the 50% bonus miles for the registration on points.com will be awarded? the hotline in the us told me within 24 hours but I think that was just a standard answer for the normal bonus miles. the woman from the german hotline could not tell me when exactly but said by june...seems they do not even understand their own offer...

thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by privateair
hi guys

can you help me understanding the details of this offer?

my first questions is: how many miles can be bought to profit from the 50%+50% offer? only one time 50.000 or two times 50.000? on the homepage they write "The maximum number of combined bonus miles that can be received by one member for this offer is 50,000". So do they mean 25.000 from dividend miles and 25.000 from points.com and that's it? or two times 25.000 from dividend miles as the points.com bonus miles will be awarded later on anyways?

second question: do you know when the 50% bonus miles for the registration on points.com will be awarded? the hotline in the us told me within 24 hours but I think that was just a standard answer for the normal bonus miles. the woman from the german hotline could not tell me when exactly but said by june...seems they do not even understand their own offer...

thanks!
It is very straight forward. The MAXIMUM number of bonus miles is 50K.

So that's one purchase of 50K miles. You get 50% now (25K), and the other 50% (25K) before the 5th of June. (the 5th of june date is clearly mentioned in the terms and conditions of this offer and are available by looking at the US Airways buy miles page).
Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bertheike
I even wouln't pay that, I would book a Z fare from somewhere 2000 $ + 2 SWU's valued 600 $ and upgrade.
So as long I can get 100 k US miles for less than 2.000 US$, I go for that way, and save my SPG points for C&P nights ( where I save more than 5 cent per point ).
This is fairly recent, but LH Z fares are no longer SWU'able. You're probably looking at D fares for that trick to work now.

My last stay in HKG netted me a place in Central for ~$100 USD. Wasn't all that, but did the job. That's the sort of stuff I can usually find if I look around enough.

I've heard good things about the LMs you've mentioned.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 17, 2012 at 4:29 am
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:22 am

has anyone purchased on this scheme yet? if so how long did you wait before the miles appeared in your account.
i purchased last over 24 hours ago and have nothing in my account yet
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:03 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kmthor
has anyone purchased on this scheme yet? if so how long did you wait before the miles appeared in your account.
Was this a brand new account? If so then the terms and conditions stipulate that you cannot buy miles unless your account is at least 12 days old.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by pogonation
Was this a brand new account? If so then the terms and conditions stipulate that you cannot buy miles unless your account is at least 12 days old.
no its not a new account i have brought for my wife to and the same thing there, i also know of others that are in the same situation. im assuming it points.com being super efficient.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by kmthor
The base miles and first 50% bonus were instantly in my account. Points.com have not posted yet. (Did the transaction on Sunday.)
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by MrT123
Do I have to change both my DM and Points.com address to US based before eligible for this offer?
I have an European address and received this offer, so I guess it is available worldwide...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
I am having the same problem. just purchased miles for a booking on hold, and they havent posted to my account. I understand that 25% of the total amount will be posted before june 5th, but the rest should post immediately like for the 10's of promo they did before. Its not a new account and i have purchased from this account before.

Only difference was they were bought with an amex, instead of a visa i used before.

on hold wiht dm right now, but i am sure they will tell me to contact points.com, (cant seem to find a number for them though...) and their live chat will open in 23 min.

updated:

talked with dm who sent me to points.com who just sent me back to DM saying they don't have any access to dm purchases... on hold to reach dm again now.

Last edited by synd; Mar 20, 2012 at 9:52 am
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
The base miles and first 50% bonus were instantly in my account. Points.com have not posted yet. (Did the transaction on Sunday.)
Now I'm mildly concerned. It's been 48 hours for me and no miles at all, anywhere.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Almo
Now I'm mildly concerned. It's been 48 hours for me and no miles at all, anywhere.
How long has your DM account been opened? Did you get an email confirm of your purchase? I received one after completion of the transaction.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
How long has your DM account been opened? Did you get an email confirm of your purchase? I received one after completion of the transaction.
A couple of years. Have bought and redeemed several times previously with no problems.

I don't have an email, no. They say that the email will be sent once the transaction is complete and I'm guessing that for some reason the transaction isn't complete. The account address is in Australia, and always has been, and there were no T&Cs prohibiting the purchase of miles by those outside the US but that's the only thing I can come up with. The purchase is also in limbo on my credit card (i.e. I can see that a corresponding amount has been charged but there's no record of the transaction currently).

Sigh. I guess that means playing phone tennis with US and points.com. Oh, and maybe my bank for good measure.

ETA, I’ve checked the screenshot after entering payment details which says (including the second part being in red) the following.

Thank you. We have received your purchase request. We will notify you by email when the transaction completes.

Congratulations! You just received the first part of your 100% bonus. Don’t forget to join points.com etc etc
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:16 pm

A couple of years. Have bought and redeemed several times previously with no problems.

I don't have an email, no. They say that the email will be sent once the transaction is complete and I'm guessing that for some reason the transaction isn't complete. The account address is in Australia, and always has been, and there were no T&Cs prohibiting the purchase of miles by those outside the US but that's the only thing I can come up with. The purchase is also in limbo on my credit card (i.e. I can see that a corresponding amount has been charged but there's no record of the transaction currently).

Sigh. I guess that means playing phone tennis with US and points.com. Oh, and maybe my bank for good measure.

ETA, I’ve checked the screenshot after entering payment details which says (including the second part being in red) the following.

Thank you. We have received your purchase request. We will notify you by email when the transaction completes.

Congratulations! You just received the first part of your 100% bonus. Don’t forget to join points.com etc etc
OK, that takes care of the first concern. US requires your account to be open a few weeks before buying miles. You meet that!

I think your issue is with US Airways. It looks like an error in processing your purchase. I would follow up with them. Because, even IF you were excluded from the bonus due to being EX-USA , you still should have gotten the miles you actually bought.

To let you know, my email happened immediately and then I refreshed my browser and my miles were there.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:46 pm

Thanks Mr Vker. Yes, I think I'm going to have to call them, which is a shame because I haven't had much success resolving problems on the phone with them previously.

Synd, out of interest did you get your miles and where is your account based? I know kmthor is Australia based too. I can see your location posts as SFO/CDG.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

your bank won't touch the authorisation no matter what you do, unless the merchant contacts them to say it is ok to be reversed. It will drop off after 10 days or whatever, or once the actual transaction posts (and the authorisation is cancelled by the transaction)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.