Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expanded wifi and future domestic IFE?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
[QUOTE=skycubbie;17060931]
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Jim[/QUOTE

Jim - your idea makes a lot of sense but my concern is that a wireless-only solution only potentially positively impacts a minority of passengers. Not all have wifi-enabled devices in their possession. Skycubbie
While it's true a relatively small percentage of passengers currently have a wifi-enabled device, we need to look to the near future. By the time US (or any airline) completed the upgrades, much more people will be able to take advantage of this feature. I honestly believe that in 5 years, it would be difficult for you to buy a phone/device that does NOT have wifi capabilities.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
If the plane was brand new, could it be that IFE hadn't been installed yet? Their website doesn't say anything about certain planes/routes/fleet types not having it. Don't know about Australia, but here the IFE manufacturer or carrier usually installs the system after delivery, not Boeing or Airbus (although I'm sure they would for a price).

Jim
Could be a possibility. I did a quick Google search and found a summary of a news article saying Virgin Australia was looking at other IFE options including Wifi. I wasn't going to pay to read the entire article. I will say that I did not see any cutouts in the seats which would help with installation of a system.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: None
I hadn't seen anything on that but a quick search found this article. It could be that they're not installing IFE on new deliveries till they make a decision on a product.

Jim
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:17 pm

IFE is a thing of the past in 10 years I doubt any company will still be selling it to airlines and most airlines will drop theirs. It will go the way of back seat phones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.