Expanded wifi and future domestic IFE?

Old Sep 3, 2011, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
Expanded wifi and future domestic IFE?

Good morning, all!

I understand that USAirways has wifi on the entire A321 fleet but have the executives dropped any not-so-subtle hints about expanding this to the 319/320/757s?

Not certain if the Luminex AVOD will ever have a future on USAirways but someone on a previous thread wondered if a wireless IFE feed to smartphones, tablets, and the like a la AA might find it's way here.

Plus, adding USB or power ports to the seats can't not be a good thing!

With 2012 nearly here and the industry's competitive nature differentiation in hard and soft product is not an option. Curious what, if any, directives might be coming forth in the next few months.

Thanks all!

Skycubbie
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: US Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National Exec.
I haven't heard anything, but I would welcome these upgrades. As of now, only about 10% of my flights have wifi.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I'd love to see expanded wi-Fi and power at the seats but I'm not holding my breath. .US doesn't see them as a source of revenue. US doesn't like spending money without a way to get it back in revenue, and as much as people complain about US' lack of IFE (traditional or wi-fi), I think the people who actually choose a domestic flight based on amenities are in the minority. The elites are brand loyal (because that's how you reach elite status) and the general public shops by price and convenience. If th on-demand streaming IFE that AA is rolling out proves to produce a good stream of revenue, I'd think US more likely to follow suit but I think that service will follow the pattern of gogo on all carriers: usage is high when it's free during promos but low when the customer has to pay for it..

I do think gogo would have higher usage if they lowered their price point but no idea why they don't do that. Surely 100 passengers connected on smartphones at $2.95 would be more profitable than 50 at 4.95. At some point you do need to scale up capacity but given that streaming audio/video sucks on gogo, and most people play games, read email and fart around on Facebook inflight, the scale-up might not be imminent.

Also not sure why there's no 100% ad-supported wi-Fi service yet. The occasional "free gogo sponsored by Company X" deals are really popular. People will use it if it's free. Probably a lot of ad revenue could be had, if promoted properly. Give customers a choice to pay for an ad-free session and it sounds like a win-win.

Last edited by dcpatti; Sep 3, 2011 at 8:56 am
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
I can tell you I DID choose based on IFE.

I burned 125k miles taking the family of 5 to San Diego last year for an event. I chose UA over US due to the availability of IFE......
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by karnold8103
I haven't heard anything, but I would welcome these upgrades. As of now, only about 10% of my flights have wifi.
There's a rumor that US is looking at streaming IFE systems, such as the GoGo system AA is putting on their planes. With the prevalence of laptops, netbooks, tablets, smart phones, whatever is coming next, having a wired screen and audio at every seat is becoming un-necessary for a significant portion of travelers. Eliminating everything by having on-board wi-fi makes such systems less costly to install and haul around.

I suspect the decision will be based on the same thinking as the current system in the 321's - does it produce enough revenue to offset the cost?

Jim
Old Sep 4, 2011, 3:22 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by etsmyers
I can tell you I DID choose based on IFE.

I burned 125k miles taking the family of 5 to San Diego last year for an event. I chose UA over US due to the availability of IFE......
Really, what kind of IFE did you get on UA metal? I personally don't considered those little overhead (not PTV) monitors IFE (that's coming from an UA elite). Now, DTV on CO metal is a different story. BTW, I choose UA primarily because of E+. Hence, if US would offer me access to exit row at time of booking (which it did some time ago), I wouldn't mind flying US without IFE.

LAX
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
Flew Virgin Australia twice over the past week. On the first flight, it was an older 737 with IFE (provided complimentary for some unknown reason). On the second flight, it was a brand new 737 with Sky Interior and...gasp...no IFE at all. Seems like some airlines are taking the hint that IFE is not really needed on short (<4 hour) flights.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:28 pm

If the plane was brand new, could it be that IFE hadn't been installed yet? Their website doesn't say anything about certain planes/routes/fleet types not having it. Don't know about Australia, but here the IFE manufacturer or carrier usually installs the system after delivery, not Boeing or Airbus (although I'm sure they would for a price).

Jim
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
Arrow

[QUOTE=BoeingBoy;17052858]There's a rumor that US is looking at streaming IFE systems, such as the GoGo system AA is putting on their planes. With the prevalence of laptops, netbooks, tablets, smart phones, whatever is coming next, having a wired screen and audio at every seat is becoming un-necessary for a significant portion of travelers. Eliminating everything by having on-board wi-fi makes such systems less costly to install and haul around.

I suspect the decision will be based on the same thinking as the current system in the 321's - does it produce enough revenue to offset the cost?

Jim[/QUOTE

Jim - your idea makes a lot of sense but my concern is that a wireless-only solution only potentially positively impacts a minority of passengers. Not all have wifi-enabled devices in their possession. It IS better than no IFE and allows for all sorts of possibilities as there is no wire to connect into. Nonetheless, to me there's a great deal of wisdom in offering some sort of setback connectivity - even if it's only a USB port or power port. The other option is to have tablet computers a la iPads available for those who have no devices of their own (ie families with multiple small children) although, as I type this, I believe the AA solution includes the use of a Samsung tablet.

USAirways has an excellent opportunity here to deliver a quality IFE solution that is far more flexible than the AVOD or DTV alternative. Who knows? Maybe Parker & Co. have a pleasant surprise awaiting us in 2012-2013!

Skycubbie
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:02 pm

I certainly agree with everything you said. However, I think the decision will be based on revenue potential being greater than cost and/or competition. I don't know if it was spin or not, but part of the stated reason for removing the old-style IFE was that so many people carried their own IFE devices the system wasn't paying for itself.
Jim
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Increased availability of WiFi would be quite wonderful...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:55 pm

Personal opinion only, but if I'm right about less cost to install/haul you'll see that before a new domestic hardwired IFE. If it includes wireless IFE, it's that much better.

Jim
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I'd love it if they surprised us with new IFE, and I use the term "IFE" to include wi-fi because it is a very easy way to tap into what the customer is already carrying, as opposed to hardwired traditional IFE. But I really would be surprised if it happens. It all comes down to the bottom line and it took US long enough to invest in upgraded meals in F, which in the end was actually a cost-neutral solution. New meals on meal flights in "exchange" for pared back snack baskets on the shortest flights. If it took US so long to implement a cost-neutral change, I just don't see them rushing out to spend money on that which has not yet proven to be a money maker. There are some who base their flight purchases on amenities such as IFE but US' planes are still flying at or close to capacity with customers who either don't care, or will put up with it to save a dollar. From the management perspective, if the planes are full, I think they're happy to give just the barest of amenities at the cheapest cost. In a few years when all the other legacies are getting rave reviews and raking in big dollars off of their streaming IFE on demand, then I think US will consider it. But for now, I think their focus is on how to get more from customers without spending more (choice seats) and not on how to improve the flying experience. Would be nice to be proven wrong though.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Truth be told none of this matters to me any longer. I have adapted and do not have a need to look back. My IFE consists of movies I have loaded on my notebook, and with a extra 750 GB HD it is quite a few. I now have a extended life battery plus a extra battery that mounts to the bottom of my notebook. This gives me @12hours of battery life so power ports are no longer required. The only WIFI I would us on a plane is the free kind, so it would need to be supported by ad revenue. I do not feel the need to be connected continuously as some like to be. Guess that is why I am not on Facebook or Twitter just Flyertalk. All I really need is the bulkhead seat or a exit row so I have room for my notebook.
I still enjoy the IFE on my flights to Asia, but even then do not require it, just power ports on those flights since they are longer than 12 hours.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Increased availability of WiFi would be quite wonderful...
I think I remember reading a while back something at work saying that wifi usage would need to be 3x-4x more than what it is at now for it to be profitable enough to justify expanding it system wide.

Personally with my having an iPad, iPhone and laptop; the need to for IFE built in isn't a concern. Having wifi at about half the rates they charge now on all the ac would be something more desirable. And at a speed that can handle video streaming - as I like my netflix/hulu.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.