Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Until such time as USDM and AA FFPs merge, there is little option other than to keep your miles in each account "alive". As this is really about the pre-merger USDM, we'll move your query to the proper forum for more informed input.

/Moderator
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
Sure, and I did the US dining program and added a seldomly used card to it and I just eat at one of the requisit places every now and then to keep the miles active until they merge the programs.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by lcflyer
it is just annoying that my post-merger activity on US doesn't keep my Dividend Miles from expiring
All you need to do is credit one flight per 18 months to your DM account and don't worry about those miles expiring. Simple enough? If a single Shuttle flight is going to make the difference betwee AA Plat and ExPlat, just do some creative Shuttle routing to get an extra Shuttle segment every 18 months. Again, simple enough?

What you're annoyed at is not being able to double-dip - use miles for status on AA and use the same miles to keep your US account active. When the accounts are merged you won't be annoyed any longer. Just bite the bullet till then.

Jim
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just buy something from the shopping mall you need anyway and then you won't have to worry about it. 18 months from now I'm certain the programs will be merger, why sacrifice 500 mile minimums and the elite mileage bonus (a difference of 800 miles or so LGA-DCA) when any mileage deposit will do?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: None
He said that his DM miles are "expiring" with no other indication of when. Before getting something from the DM Mall I'd make sure that the miles will post in time to keep the miles from expiring.

Jim
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: DL, AA
I received a "warning"email over a month before the expiration date. A small purchase from Staples, via the Dividend Miles Mall posted within about 3 days. I'm sure I will appreciate those two miles once the AA / DM accounts merge.

BTW, DM wanted $9 to maintain my account. lcflyer says he paid $8. Is the fee based on the mileage balance? I only have a little over 12,000 miles.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I wrote a few pages back about how quickly miles from the DM Mall post and it's backed up by scoow above.

I might also add he didn't say when he was going to fly the Shuttle next either
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
What is the fastest way for my father in law to earn 98 AA miles? He has 34,902 and there is a great award ticket for him available at 35k miles.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:31 am

Keeping US account active before program merger

Both hubby and I have US Dividend Miles accounts with 100,000+ miles each in our respective accounts. Our accounts would expire if we don't earn miles by April 2015. Neither of us currently have an AA Advantage account.

We don't currently fly US or OneWorld as it doesn't fit our current flight pattern, but might at some point in future. I certainly don't want to forfeit the miles and prefer to keep them active for future use.

I have the "up to 100% bonus miles" offer on my account that expires this week and I'm wondering if I should spring for more miles now with the bonus as a way to push the expiration date further into the future.

But I'm not certain when our Dividend Miles accounts would potentially be converted to AA accounts, nor what the expiration rules will be once that happens. Does anyone know?

Is it a good idea (i.e. cost effective) to push the expiration date on the US account now by purchasing miles with a bonus, or should I wait and see? If I do it now, what would be the new expiration date on our accounts?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Is it a good idea (i.e. cost effective) to push the expiration date on the US account now by purchasing miles with a bonus, or should I wait and see? If I do it now, what would be the new expiration date on our accounts?
I received a reminder/offer e-mail about a month before expiration offering to extend the lifetime of my measly 500 miles for a $9 "preservation" fee.

In the alternative, you could make a small online purchase via the DM shopping portal to push out the expiration date (I bought a GC from iTunes).
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Both hubby and I have US Dividend Miles accounts with 100,000+ miles each in our respective accounts. Our accounts would expire if we don't earn miles by April 2015. Neither of us currently have an AA Advantage account.

We don't currently fly US or OneWorld as it doesn't fit our current flight pattern, but might at some point in future. I certainly don't want to forfeit the miles and prefer to keep them active for future use.

I have the "up to 100% bonus miles" offer on my account that expires this week and I'm wondering if I should spring for more miles now with the bonus as a way to push the expiration date further into the future.

But I'm not certain when our Dividend Miles accounts would potentially be converted to AA accounts, nor what the expiration rules will be once that happens. Does anyone know?

The new expiration date is 18 month from the last activity date.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:29 pm

Thanks! I'll just wait and extend closer to the date, and for a minimal fee.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, EY, IHG
Originally Posted by psychtobe
What is the fastest way for my father in law to earn 98 AA miles? He has 34,902 and there is a great award ticket for him available at 35k miles.
1. Buy something through AA online shopping portal

2. Sign up for AA Dining and make a purchase

3. Free: sign up for Bing Rewards and choose the option to earn airline miles. You can earn 25 points per day for desktop searches and 10 points per day for mobile searches (1 point for every 2 searches). Redeem 400 points for 100 airline miles or hotel points. I use this to keep expiring miles and points valid.

If you don't want to do that meany searches, there are bots available that will do the searches for you automatically. Honestly, it only takes about 1 minute per day or less to do all the searches - just click on the related search suggestions until you've accumulated enough.

Then you can go back to using Google for stuff you actually want to find
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:47 pm
Suspended

I am trying to buy the $9 fee to push back expiration but can;t find the link on the website. When I google it it brings me to my main landing page. Does anyone know how to pay this fee and extend expiration? Searching on their website yields nothing.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
I am trying to buy the $9 fee to push back expiration but can;t find the link on the website. When I google it it brings me to my main landing page. Does anyone know how to pay this fee and extend expiration? Searching on their website yields nothing.
From this page of the DM Member Guide (under Reactivation policy), it says

At 15 - 17 months of inactivity, you may pay a $9 preservation fee to remain active for another 18 months.

As I remember, I got an email with this offer after about 15 months of inactivity. Also, I vaguely remember that after I got the email, a link to the preservation fee showed up somewhere in my account after I had logged in. Hopefully someone else has more current experience than me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.