Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:43 am

iTunes is no longer available and most gift cards are not eligible.

You just have to pick something that you'd purchase anyway.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:18 am

Help reviving US Airways miles that have "expired"

My father has 78,510 US Airways Dividend Miles that are expired.

He can regain the points by paying $250, opening a US Airways card in his name, or booking travel before 02/28/2014 (Economy).

I am trying to avoid paying $250.00. My father is not interested in opening a US Airways credit card. Finally, no travel would be done before March 2014.

Has anyone been able to negotiate an extension on the travel dates? In other words, does anyone believe US Airways would extend the date so that my flight in March would reinstate the miles?

Any suggestions here? 78,000 points is way too much to throw away.

Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

I dont think a flight *you* take is going to be particularly compelling for restoring your father's miles.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA

Can you like travel to a city nearby if you
have the same first name and are his son?

78000 points are worth ~$1180.00 ( 1.5 cents ). Maybe you can pay the $250.00 fee and use the miles your dad doesn't want to get a ticket somewhere like r/t to Japan in coach!

Or pray that another share miles is offered to share more.
Sometimes you have to spend money to make monty. And letting 78000 go to waste just for not paying the fee is a such a bad move. Granted see if you can get a cheaper method. Hope other members can help!

Last edited by lacuadra; Jan 31, 2014 at 12:22 am
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this pertains to the pre-merger US Airways, it is being moved to that forum.

As noted in the Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, questions and information pertaining to the existing AA or US operations should go in those forums as it will be quite some time before the two entities operate as a single airline.

Your understanding is appreciated.

/Moderator
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
US dividend miles expiration

Hi guys, I actually never intended to fly US airways or get their miles, but since the rumor that AA & US is merging, i applied for US credit card (probably 13-14months ago). Now I'm trying to figure out on US airways site where the expiration date is, and i cant seem to find it, can anyone help?. I have since cancelled the credit card, and i assume that the merger of the 2 loyalty program wont be combined until 2015. So my next question is, can i just buy 1000 US dividend miles, and the expiration date will be extended 18months? Thanks!!

Sorry i found the merged thread about my question... Could you delete this one Mod? Again sorry and thanks!

Last edited by AAnerd; Feb 14, 2014 at 10:20 am Reason: found the merged thread
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:41 am

Sorry i have read suggestions, but most are from CC or using the US storefront web, and from page 16 onwards, i dont see anyone recommending buying miles.. I just wanted to make sure before i go ahead and buy the miles, if i buy 1000dividend miles (plus 1000bonus) for $35 today, the miles expiration reset to 18months from today correct? I never been in this situation before (close to miles expiration) since i fly with AA 100%. And i did apply for US airways credit card to get the 40k bonus 13-14months ago, which i already cancel a month ago, so thats not an option for me..
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AAnerd
Sorry i have read suggestions, but most are from CC or using the US storefront web, and from page 16 onwards, i dont see anyone recommending buying miles.. I just wanted to make sure before i go ahead and buy the miles, if i buy 1000dividend miles (plus 1000bonus) for $35 today, the miles expiration reset to 18months from today correct? I never been in this situation before (close to miles expiration) since i fly with AA 100%. And i did apply for US airways credit card to get the 40k bonus 13-14months ago, which i already cancel a month ago, so thats not an option for me..
Or you can pay a $9 "Preservation Fee", get no miles (other than from the credit card you use to pay the fee), and extend for 18 months. See my previous post (#267) from Sept 2013 ... and backtrack from there. I am assuming this fee option is still available.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by jmd001
Or you can pay a $9 "Preservation Fee", get no miles (other than from the credit card you use to pay the fee), and extend for 18 months. See my previous post (#267) from Sept 2013 ... and backtrack from there. I am assuming this fee option is still available.
May i ask when did you get the email (is it like a month before expiry?)? My last miles posted was in January 2013, so i still have less than 5months before it expires.. I just wanted to buy now coz i dont like to wait last minute, and i tend to forget... But if this $9 fee is an option, i might wait for that email..
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
You can register any credit card with the US dining program, complete a short profile and eat at a participating restaurant to add a small number of miles to your mileage account. If the first meal purchased is at least $40, you will also get a bonus of 1k miles.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
Why not buy a magazine with miles? Some of them are really cheap on miles and then you're not out any cash.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AAnerd
May i ask when did you get the email (is it like a month before expiry?)?
I received my email on 9/9/13. Based on the quote below, I got the email 3 months before the miles were set to expire:

Your last activity date: May 30, 2012

"We appreciate you as a customer, and we want you to continue flying and earning miles with US. We see that your last activity date was 15 months ago and want to give you the opportunity to keep your miles."

I don't know if you have to have received the email before you can pay or not. But since paying the fee only extends miles for 18 months from when you pay the fee (not 18 months from the former expiration date), it "pays" to wait to pay until as late as you are comfortable with.

Comparing my downloaded credit card transactions with my DM Account, the charge to my card and the "preservation posting" on my DM account happened on the same day. YMMV.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by billsinaz
iTunes is no longer available and most gift cards are not eligible.
Looks like iTunes is back:

https://www.dividendmilesstorefront.....htm?mids=3527

"Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Only eligible for purchases at the iTunes Store, including e-gift card purchases. Not eligible on physical gift cards or gift certificates."
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:18 pm

Does anyone know if the 10K anniversary bonus on the US air credit card extends the expiration date of the miles ?

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
I would think so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.