Wiki Posts
Search

Charged $237.70 for extra seat to store duty free bag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Charged $237.70 for extra seat to store duty free bag

I'm a US Silver and traveled on a first-class ticket from Europe back to the US, with two carry on-bags - a laptop bag and a carry-on size bag. In Frankfurt, I bought some duty free items. They gave me a separate bag. Everything fine on the transatlantic LH in F, no problem having the duty free bag in addition to the regular carry on pieces. Same in DEN upon going through security.

Upon boarding at the Gate, gate agent (claims to be a supervisor) tells me I'll either have to consolidate my bags or check one in or "I couldn't fly". My regular two carry on's contained items I never check. I tried to consolidate, but it didn't work.

So he requires me to buy an additional seat. He starts out with close to $1k, but his more friendly gate agent associate agrees to sell me an Economy ticket and upgrade it to First Class on my Silver status. Flight was maybe 1/2 full.

Has anybody every experienced anything like this?

During boarding I saw two more passengers having more than two carry-on pieces (plastic bags in addition to their regular bag), but they walked on the plane fine. They were both non-status passengers in Y.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by cactus_flyer
So he requires me to buy an additional seat. He starts out with close to $1k, but his more friendly gate agent associate agrees to sell me an Economy ticket and upgrade it to First Class on my Silver status. Flight was maybe 1/2 full.

This is insane. Take it up with Customer Service immediately and request a refund for the full amount. If that does not work, dispute the charge on your CC.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:06 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
So your complaining about the GA enforcing the FAA rules about carryons. You are allowed one carryon and one personal item. The rules do not say you are allowed one carryon one personal item and one duty free bag. The GA gave you the option to consolidate your bags and you chose not to. The GA gave you the option to check the bag and you chose not to. The only other options were to buy a seat or not fly. The only exceptions are a meal/takeout bag, an infant bag, or an assistive device.

I don't get where you feel your entitlement is here. You had three your allowed two. You were given your options and you chose the one that had a cost associated with it.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tommyleo
This is insane. Take it up with Customer Service immediately and request a refund for the full amount. If that does not work, dispute the charge on your CC.
Hmm. I do think the GA was right in not allowing the 3rd carry-on (duty free bag.) Does anyone know for sure? Of course, the 2 carry-on rule should have been enforced for everyone.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I'm a US Silver and traveled on a first-class ticket from Europe back to the US, with two carry on-bags - a laptop bag and a carry-on size bag. In Frankfurt, I bought some duty free items. They gave me a separate bag.
Originally Posted by cwe84
So your complaining about the GA enforcing the FAA rules about carryons. You are allowed one carryon and one personal item. The rules do not say you are allowed one carryon one personal item and one duty free bag. The GA gave you the option to consolidate your bags and you chose not to. The GA gave you the option to check the bag and you chose not to. The only other options were to buy a seat or not fly. The only exceptions are a meal/takeout bag, an infant bag, or an assistive device.
What they SHOULD have offered you was to gate check one of your carry-on bags for no charge. Then you would be within the two-item limit.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
It's been my understanding that duty free bags are exempt from the carry-on rules... I mean, if you board an international flight with 1 carry-on + 1 personal item, and you buy something from the on-board duty free... Then you're breaking the rule on your connecting flight?

HTSC
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

That's insane!

For what its worth when flying First Class you can have it gate checked and pick it up on the jetway upon landing. I've started doing this when the F bins are full to avoid swimming up stream to retrieve my bag.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:24 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by warreng24
What they SHOULD have offered you was to gate check one of your carry-on bags for no charge. Then you would be within the two-item limit.
Thats not an option though. The FAA doesn't see that your within the limits when you valet your bag. It does however see a difference when a seat is purchased for one of those bags.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
It's been my understanding that duty free bags are exempt from the carry-on rules... I mean, if you board an international flight with 1 carry-on + 1 personal item, and you buy something from the on-board duty free... Then you're breaking the rule on your connecting flight?

HTSC
Duty free is not exempt. You are expected to be able to place that item in your carry on. If it is a liquid you are expected to place it in your checked luggage before rechecking it.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: US Chairman's, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Etc.
I'm a US Silver and traveled on a first-class ticket from Europe back to the US, with two carry on-bags - a laptop bag and a carry-on size bag. In Frankfurt, I bought some duty free items. They gave me a separate bag. Everything fine on the transatlantic LH in F, no problem having the duty free bag in addition to the regular carry on pieces. Same in DEN upon going through security.

Upon boarding at the Gate, gate agent (claims to be a supervisor) tells me I'll either have to consolidate my bags or check one in or "I couldn't fly". My regular two carry on's contained items I never check. I tried to consolidate, but it didn't work.

Has anybody every experienced anything like this?

During boarding I saw two more passengers having more than two carry-on pieces (plastic bags in addition to their regular bag), but they walked on the plane fine. They were both non-status passengers in Y.
Did you get mileage for your bag's extra seat?

I agree that, based on what you have said here, the GA should have exercised some discretion and "overlooked" your duty-free bag.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by cwe84

I don't get where you feel your entitlement is here. You had three your allowed two. You were given your options and you chose the one that had a cost associated with it.
I imagine the OP feels entitled to the same treatment as other passengers - i.e. "During boarding I saw two more passengers having more than two carry-on pieces (plastic bags in addition to their regular bag), but they walked on the plane fine. They were both non-status passengers in Y. ". This may or may not be reasonable based on carryon bags and the size/contents of the duty free bag versus the plastic bags.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by PHLDividends
....and "overlooked" your duty-free bag.
Especially on a 1/2 full flight, according to the OP.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:36 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warreng24
The OP said gate check was offered, but the OP did not want to gate check any of their items.
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
Although the document I found this in itself appears to be out of date, I don't believe this list of items excluded from the carry-on allowance is:

1) an overcoat
2) an umbrella
3) a reasonable amount of reading material for the flight]
4) crutches/canes/braces or other prosthetic device (s) on which the passenger is dependent
5) snack sacks and other food items brought onboard by the passenger for personal consumption
6) child safety seat which must be used either in a confirmed ticketed seat or in an available seat beside the parent/guardian

I have always stored my duty free items on the rare occasions I made such purchases within my allowed carry-on limit. Note that the carry-on limit is a maximum, you are not required to meet it, so if you expect to buy duty-free, you should adjust your carry-ons accordingly.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by starflyer
I imagine the OP feels entitled to the same treatment as other passengers - i.e. "During boarding I saw two more passengers having more than two carry-on pieces (plastic bags in addition to their regular bag), but they walked on the plane fine. They were both non-status passengers in Y. ". This may or may not be reasonable based on carryon bags and the size/contents of the duty free bag versus the plastic bags.
It also could have been takeout which is allowed under current guidlines. He doesn't know so he shouldn't assume unless he knows without a doubt what the reason was. Also they could have checked their bags without making a fuss. Another thing is how does he know they were non status they could have been *A. The point is it doesn't matter he does not know the particulars of the other passengers.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by PHLDividends
Did you get mileage for your bag's extra seat?

I agree that, based on what you have said here, the GA should have exercised some discretion and "overlooked" your duty-free bag.
I disagree with that. If we overlooked it every time then the one time on a full flight we would get the "on my last flight" schpeal. I swear when we do our jobs and with consistancy you complain we don't bend the rules to YOUR way of thinking. When we bend the rules for others YOU report us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.