Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged $237.70 for extra seat to store duty free bag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cactus_flyer
The dimensions of all 3 items was less than the maximum allowed for 2 items.
That argument doesn't fly with checked baggage so why would you think it would apply to carry-on bags? If one checked bag is overweight or oversize you'll pay extra to check it. It's not based an aggregate or average measurement and/or weight.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
That argument doesn't fly with checked baggage so why would you think it would apply to carry-on bags? If one checked bag is overweight or oversize you'll pay extra to check it. It's not based an aggregate or average measurement and/or weight.
I didn't assume that. "GoodOmens" posted: <<I guess without knowing the situation (ie how big the bag was) I can't pick a side.>> so my comment was in regards to his question how big the bag was...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: Asiana
While clear on checked-in luggage, where the originating airlines' rules apply, I assumed it would be the same for carry-on.
Ditto.

Are airlines free to enforce their own rules on their flight segments even if those rules differ from the rules of the originating airline? That, combined with the fact, that the rules at the time of ticket purchase should apply, would make booking itineraries with multiple carriers quite challenging.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Beckles
The carry-on allowance is part of the weight and balance program and although not obvious, does have a direct impact on the safety of flight. I don't want GA's "exercising discretion" when it comes to weight and balance.

My God, you've got to be kidding.

Please explain to me how making the OP pay extra money to put the duty-free item on an empty seat made the flight safer rather than the OP putting the same item in the overhead compartment. (Heck, the OP probably put the item in the overhead compartment anyway.)

Unreal.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
It's been my understanding that duty free bags are exempt from the carry-on rules... I mean, if you board an international flight with 1 carry-on + 1 personal item, and you buy something from the on-board duty free... Then you're breaking the rule on your connecting flight?

HTSC
On the internatinal flights that I have taken to Europe, Asia and Canada, there has been a person at the entrance of the jetway handing out the bags to the passengers when they boarded; therefore, I thought that duty-free bags were exempt form the carry-on rules.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by cwe84
Duty free is not exempt. You are expected to be able to place that item in your carry on. If it is a liquid you are expected to place it in your checked luggage before rechecking it.
What is the difference between someone carrying a bag with their meal and a duty-free purchase? You can agrue that the meal will be consumed during the flight but they are bring an extra bag when boarding.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I disagree with that. If we overlooked it every time then the one time on a full flight we would get the "on my last flight" schpeal. I swear when we do our jobs and with consistancy you complain we don't bend the rules to YOUR way of thinking. When we bend the rules for others YOU report us.

If GA's don't understand the concept of "discretion" and "common sense" when it comes to customer service, perhaps they should find another line of work.

And can't we just admit the truth? What happened to the OP was just a nasty money-grab by US.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:24 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior
What is the difference between someone carrying a bag with their meal and a duty-free purchase? You can agrue that the meal will be consumed during the flight but they are bring an extra bag when boarding.
Because one is specifically written into the policy and one is not...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by cactus_flyer
While US Airways's website does not specify anything specific about duty free articles counting towards the free baggage allowance, other airlines do.
US Airways need to disclose whether or not duty-free bag or box counts as a carry-on. If the decision is to count the carry-on, it will put them at a disadvantage with the other airlines such as Delta.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:26 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by tommyleo
If GA's don't understand the concept of "discretion" and "common sense" when it comes to customer service, perhaps they should find another line of work.

And can't we just admit the truth? What happened to the OP was just a nasty money-grab by US.
Perhaps you should read the rules an write out a check for $10,000 for the fine that agent is going to face when he gets caught allowing more than 2 bags.

Last edited by cwe84; Jan 18, 2010 at 12:36 pm
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:28 pm

On the internatinal flights that I have taken to Europe, Asia and Canada, there has been a person at the entrance of the jetway handing out the bags to the passengers when they boarded; therefore, I thought that duty-free bags were exempt form the carry-on rules.
You are supposed to put it in your carry on....
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:32 pm

US Airways need to disclose whether or not duty-free bag or box counts as a carry-on. If the decision is to count the carry-on, it will put them at a disadvantage with the other airlines such as Delta.
We do tell you what you can bring on and how much. There are BIG signs at every gate. Its written in the contract of carriage. If it doesn't specifically state you can have it as a separate item then it must not be exempt...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by PHLDividends
The question isn't whether the GA exercised discretion - according to the OP, several other passengers boarded with 3 carry-ons, but only the OP was stopped. The GA clearly exercised some "discretion" here to let some passengers skate by, but didn't extend that same courtesy to the OP.
The real issue here is that Tempe isn't customer-centric. Based upon the fact that other airlines doesn't count duty-free bag or box as a carry-on makes me think that Tempe doesn't think that their customers will buy something from a duty-free shop at the airport since they don't mention a single word on their website about duty-free shopping.

Yes...most of the time that my wife buys something from a duty-free shop or an airport shop, we are able to put it in our carry-on. However, you can buy something that can't fit. If the other airlines don't count duty-free maybe I should fly them instead of US.

If there is a Circle K in the duty-free shopping area, maybe US will change their minds so that Ma or Pa Kettle will buy something with their Circle K gift card.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:35 pm

You are supposed to put it in your carry on....
I was not referring to international flights operated by US because your First Class and Business Class products and services are sub-par to your competitors especially international-based airlines like Singapore, LH, OZ, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Cathay Pacific and etc.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:38 pm

We do tell you what you can bring on and how much. There are BIG signs at every gate. Its written in the contract of carriage. If it doesn't specifically state you can have it as a separate item then it must not be exempt...
You are missing the point, your competitors don't count duty-free bag as a carry-on. How can you compete with your competitors?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.