Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged $237.70 for extra seat to store duty free bag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:07 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
I can only comment from RAH companies we had 12 last year.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:09 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by sciguy0504
There are two problems I have with this situation:

1) Forcing a passenger to pay for a seat for a bag, regardless of what type of bag, the size of bag, the contents of the bag, etc.

2) Not enforcing the 2 carry-on items per passenger limit, which was outlined by the OP

Yes, send an e-mail to customer service about this issue and request a refund minus the cost to check the bag you could have checked at the gate when offered.
The OP only thinks that they weren't enforced. He has yet to say if he knew they were shopping bags or food bags. If they were food then they are allowed.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
Do you ask cabin crew to perform ANOTHER bag check at the aircraft door, to ensure all passengers have placed the duty free item in their 'approved' carry on?
Actually it is the F/A's job just like the G/A to screen for baggage and yes it is their job to tell you to consolidate.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by cwe84
I can only comment from RAH companies we had 12 last year.

Please translate "RAH companies".
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:13 pm

Actually it is the F/A's job just like the G/A to screen for baggage and yes it is their job to tell you to consolidate.

So if a passenger brings more than the allotted carry-on, the FA's and GA's are all at risk for a $10,000 fine each?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Good for you for flying all of those airlines. So have I and to be honest they aren't any better...
Your are entitled to your opinions. I am sorry that you can't face the facts. Recently, there was a ranking showing the top airlines...US Airways ranked third from the bottom for both domestic and international...the airlines that I mentioned were either in the top three, top five or top ten. When US Airways starts to win awards voted by FFs, travel critics, travel magazines, independent third-party research firms and etc. then I will respect your opinions.

I have worked for companies where our products and services were not the best in our respective...instead of telling us how great we are, making up excuses, blaming others and etc...we went out made our products and services better.

The Upper Class lounge for Virgin Atlantic at LHR is awesome IMHO. Name me a US Airways lounge (not one that is operated by a Star Alliance member) that has a music room, a reading library, a grill that you can order food to be cooked for you, a salon where you can get a haircut and etc?

How about getting a upper back massage or facial on the plane (Upper Class - Virign Atlantic).

How about true-flat beds? The international airlines started to install true-flat beds in their planes back in 2000-2001. It is my understanding that US Airways rolled out their true-flat beds in November 2009 and they have only one plane in their fleet with true-flat beds.

There are IFEs in coach on most of your domestic competitors. You don't even have IFEs in First Class on domestic flights, flights to Canada and Mexico.

I have flown on four Asia-based airlines (all flights under 3 hours) in their respective countries where they served a meal (NOT a snack and NOT for extra $$$) in coach. On Cathay Pacific flight (2.5 hours) between HKG and PVG, they served a hot meal in coach...the types of meals that I remembered receiving when I started to fly back in the mid-80s.

The real issue is that US Airways is NOT customer-centric nor do they want to be customer-centric.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Please translate "RAH companies".
Pre aquisitions Republic Airways Holdings. Including Republic, Shuttle America and Chautauqua. All 12 were for F/A's for the 2 bag policy and in conjunction with the codeshare airlines gate representative. I can tell you only 1 of those was a US Airways flight.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:21 pm

Pre aquisitions Republic Airways Holdings. Including Republic, Shuttle America and Chautauqua. All 12 were for F/A's for the 2 bag policy and in conjunction with the codeshare airlines gate representative. I can tell you only 1 of those was a US Airways flight.
Did the employees have to pay the $10,000 each? Or did the airlines pay the fines?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Singapore Biz = US Biz? You're dreaming...
Never said they were equal...
Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior
I was not referring to international flights operated by US because your First Class and Business Class products and services are sub-par to your competitors especially international-based airlines like Singapore, LH, OZ, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Cathay Pacific and etc.
Good for you for flying all of those airlines. So have I and to be honest they aren't any better....
(emphasis mine)

Originally Posted by dictionary.com
better –noun
13. that which has greater excellence or is preferable or wiser:the better of two choices.
I think you are just being contrarian for the sake of it. 99.9% of FTer's would probably disagree with you.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:27 pm

Did the employees have to pay the $10,000 each? Or did the airlines pay the fines?
The employee is responsible for their portion and they go to a hearing and a judge decides the fine.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:34 pm

I think you are just being contrarian for the sake of it. 99.9% of FTer's would probably disagree with you.
No I was actually refering to how the airlines handle thing not the product itself. When the singapore airlines agent took my tickets and ripped them up and then threw them in my face I don't think it matters what their product is like. When the Qatar Airways agent spit on my because she thought as she said "a dam jew" yeah thats real customer service. Both flights were horrible as the sentiment just continued on both flights. I have been treated better on Mesa flights...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:36 pm

So if a passenger brings more than the allotted carry-on, the FA's and GA's are all at risk for a $10,000 fine each?
Yes as well as a fine to the airline and any codeshare partner (ie Republic flying as US Airways, US would also be fined).
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:40 pm

The employee is responsible for their portion and they go to a hearing and a judge decides the fine.

That's interesting. You previously wrote: "Perhaps you should read the rules and write out a check for $10,000 for the fine that agent is going to face when he gets caught allowing more than 2 bags." Now you've written something different.

If you're going to be a sticker for the rules, please be consistent.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:43 pm

What I don't understand is how the GA's making the OP pay for an extra seat prevented the carry-on rule from being broken.

Unless the OP suddenly had his clone appear at the gate alongside himself, nothing changed; the OP was still one passenger with too many carry-ons. Buying an extra seat does not equal a second passenger; that's why the OP would not get extra miles to his DM account for buying the extra seat.

Can somebody please explain this to me?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:48 pm

What I don't understand is how the GA's making the OP pay for an extra seat prevented the carry-on rule from being broken.

Unless the OP suddenly had his clone appear at the gate alongside himself, nothing changed; the OP was still one passenger with too many carry-ons. Buying an extra seat does not equal a second passenger; that's why the OP would not get extra miles to his DM account for buying the extra seat.

Can somebody please explain this to me?

We do the same for instruments. If you buy a seat for it then you still get the two carry ons for yourself.

Last edited by cwe84; Jan 18, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.