Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged $237.70 for extra seat to store duty free bag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by stiphy
Someone may have said this but why not ask around the gate and see if any other px without 2 personal items would've taken it on for you for $20. I would've done it for you if I was there
In the old days, we used to be asked "has anyone unknown to you asked you to carry anything on board the aircraft?". Maybe some folks still remember that.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:18 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by GalleyWench

Please re-read the replies from 2 different mainline f/a's who have told the OP that the agent was WRONG!
There would be no fine in this case to either the GA or the FA because as we have specified earlier is that the duty free bag was EXEMPT from the carry-on policy.

Ok, I'm glad you cleared that up. The posts from the FA's were not really decisive.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by spin88
Anyone who thinks you have to condence it when you came off an international flight is not thinking straight...
Except when you have to collect your bags and pass through security for a connecting flight - then the TSA rules govern liquids in carry-on bags.

Jim
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Wow. Reading this thread has given me great pause.
I am heading to Rio in 3 weeks on my first TATL flight on US ever. Figured I would give it a try since CO joined *A.

I have to say this will likely be the last time. What else am I in for when flying US? This just reminds me why I have chosen the last few year to drive up to EWR and fly CO when I live only 40 min away from PHL.

I get the distinct impression from some (not all) of the US employees that the pax are like the gum that is stuck to their shoe. Perhaps I am wrong, but we shall see.

I guess I need to plan and think twice about buying a bottle of whisky for my dad on my way to Brazil. Less revenue for CLT I guess.

I just cannot imagine this happening on a CO flight thats half full. If it did, I would take my business elsewhere.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:16 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
In the old days, we used to be asked "has anyone unknown to you asked you to carry anything on board the aircraft?". Maybe some folks still remember that.
The item has already cleared security and is going on the plane one way or the other.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by l'etoile
The item has already cleared security and is going on the plane one way or the other.
These questions are making a comeback. At CDG on CO flying to IAH on Jan 7 I was asked these old questions by French security agents at the check-in counter and was told to put all lighters and matches into my checked bag. Dj vu. Then when I entered the jetway to board the plane we were individually screened and patted down. These security agents too were asking the old questions about who packed my carry on (???), who has touched my carry on since I packed it (cab driver), had I purchased anything at the airport, and had anyone given me anything, etc.... you get the idea. I thought I had gone back in time.

I got none of those questions at IAH during re-screening.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I'm torn here, but come down on the side of enforcing the rules and doing so consistently. It stinks I know and I'd be peeved if it happened to me. As for LH knowing all of the rules of the other airlines, I respectfully don't think it is their role to do so. That stinks too, but I'd not look to employees of Company A to advise me of the terms or rules of Company B even if I booked through Company A or originated with them. I'd still be upset, just not with LH in this case.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Not at the gate, they weren't.

Bad, bad, bad idea! I never play the security card, but this is a major no-no! I actually saw this happen one time, a girl was trying to board with 3 bags and when we told her we would have to check one she started asking people in the jetway to carry one on for her. A supervisor happened to be standing there and they had that gal out of the jetway and off the flight faster than your head would spin. They called the airport CRO and they completely agreed that she should be denied boarding. Asking someone else to carry a bag for you is one of those things that just isn't done, sorry Stiphy.
GW, normally you make a whole lot of sense and I respect the knowledge you bring, but here I just don't understand the security issue. "X" pax with "Y" security screened carry-ons are on the verge of entering an aluminum tube which is then sealed and sent to 30,000'. Which of the "Y" carry-ons is carried on by which of the "X" pax makes no difference to security or to the outcome of the flight.
If someone is asking people to carry items on board for them out at the check-in counter, there's potential for a security issue, but at the entrance to the gateway, there is none.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Originally Posted by Evan!
These questions are making a comeback. At CDG on CO flying to IAH on Jan 7 I was asked these old questions by French security agents at the check-in counter and was told to put all lighters and matches into my checked bag. Dj vu. Then when I entered the jetway to board the plane we were individually screened and patted down. These security agents too were asking the old questions about who packed my carry on (???), who has touched my carry on since I packed it (cab driver), had I purchased anything at the airport, and had anyone given me anything, etc.... you get the idea. I thought I had gone back in time.

I got none of those questions at IAH during re-screening.

Many European countries never stopped asking those questions, just the USA.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by plon
Many European countries never stopped asking those questions, just the USA.
That would explain it. Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:12 pm

Thanks, GalleyWench and tahitigirl for clarifying the rule; end of story, OP should be getting a refund and apology from US.

The last time I flew int'l bus class, I made sure I could fit my duty-free into my carry-ons upon re-entering the US just to avoid a situation like this.

Generally, it perturbs me to no end to see the carryon rule so inconsistently enforced--IME, non-revs routinely carry-on more than 2 bags, as do other pax, especially of the fairer sex, who understandably often have a purse, a rollerboard, and another computer/shopping bag.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:42 pm

Bad, bad, bad idea! I never play the security card, but this is a major no-no! I actually saw this happen one time, a girl was trying to board with 3 bags and when we told her we would have to check one she started asking people in the jetway to carry one on for her. A supervisor happened to be standing there and they had that gal out of the jetway and off the flight faster than your head would spin. They called the airport CRO and they completely agreed that she should be denied boarding. Asking someone else to carry a bag for you is one of those things that just isn't done, sorry Stiphy.
Again, more idiocy justified in the name of security. Did the supervisor and the airport CRO really have even the slightest doubt about the women? They really thought there was even a 0.00000000000001% chance that a terrorist looking to bring a bomb on the plane would stand around at the gate saying "can someone please carry this bag on for me?"

OK, so make her check the third bag, but denying boarding? Please . . . .

Yes, security is a legitimate concern, but if the airline and security employees spend energy on someone like this, there is not enough money in the world to pay for all the security that is necessary.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by law5
Again, more idiocy justified in the name of security. Did the supervisor and the airport CRO really have even the slightest doubt about the women? They really thought there was even a 0.00000000000001% chance that a terrorist looking to bring a bomb on the plane would stand around at the gate saying "can someone please carry this bag on for me?"

OK, so make her check the third bag, but denying boarding? Please . . . .

Yes, security is a legitimate concern, but if the airline and security employees spend energy on someone like this, there is not enough money in the world to pay for all the security that is necessary.
It was never our (the f/a's) decision to make, the supervisor handled it before we even got the chance to respond. Do I think it was a bad decision? In reality, probably. But...all it would take is one passenger to get upset about her trying to get someone else to carry something on for her and it could have escalated from there. How would we have explained it if it had come back to bite us afterwards. There are A LOT of people out there that are very paranoid where security is concerned and they question every decision we make, with security issues a lot of times it comes down to CYA. There was a thread recently where someone asked if it was okay to ask a stranger to watch your bags while you went to the restroom in the terminal. Replies were very mixed, ranging from it's perfectly acceptable to no way! Basically the same issue, do you trust someone that you don't know from Adam to keep their bags for them. The range of people's emotions and feelings about security is immense, and you never know how different people will react to any given situation.
Basically, I'm not condoning what the supervisor and CRO did but in reality it wasn't a smart idea on the passenger's part as they are constantly reminded to only handle their own items.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Not at the gate, they weren't.

GW, normally you make a whole lot of sense and I respect the knowledge you bring, but here I just don't understand the security issue. "X" pax with "Y" security screened carry-ons are on the verge of entering an aluminum tube which is then sealed and sent to 30,000'. Which of the "Y" carry-ons is carried on by which of the "X" pax makes no difference to security or to the outcome of the flight.
If someone is asking people to carry items on board for them out at the check-in counter, there's potential for a security issue, but at the entrance to the gateway, there is none.
As I said in my above reply, I can't say if I agree or disagree with this issue. I can only tell you that it's a pretty basic rule of thumb that you don't hand over your personal items to a complete stranger, or accept items from someone you don't know. There are a lot of people that bypass security as has been discovered in previous situations so you really have no idea if the items have been screened or not. Does the person look "innocent"? Probably, but that's not my call to make.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
As I said in my above reply, I can't say if I agree or disagree with this issue. I can only tell you that it's a pretty basic rule of thumb that you don't hand over your personal items to a complete stranger, or accept items from someone you don't know. There are a lot of people that bypass security as has been discovered in previous situations so you really have no idea if the items have been screened or not. Does the person look "innocent"? Probably, but that's not my call to make.
But if all the pax, including those passing items between each other, are going to get on the plane, the result for the flight will be the same. If someone with nefarious intent bypassed screening, and boards the plane, the success or failure of his plot does not hinge on whether he personally carried aboard his prohibited item. If he's going to try and leave the ACME device on board, and let the plane depart without him, there's many more subtle (hence more likely successful ways) to do that, than arrive with 3 bags and beseech fellow pax to board with one of his items.

I would venture that the supervisor saw someone trying to finesse the carry-on rules and became PO'd and irrational about it. Security had nothing to do with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.