Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged $237.70 for extra seat to store duty free bag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:39 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior
I was not referring to international flights operated by US because your First Class and Business Class products and services are sub-par to your competitors especially international-based airlines like Singapore, LH, OZ, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Cathay Pacific and etc.
Good for you for flying all of those airlines. So have I and to be honest they aren't any better.... Now back to the topic at hand.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:40 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
You are missing the point, your competitors don't count duty-free bag as a carry-on. How can you compete with your competitors?
I really don't think a bag of duty free is going to change someones choice of airline.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: US Chairman's, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Etc.
Originally Posted by cwe84
I really don't think a bag of duty free is going to change someones choice of airline.
Paying $240 one-way per segment to carry that bag of duty free onboard would change my choice of airline!

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
This is bizarre. I'm sure BAA at Heathrow (and plenty of other airports) would be horrified to hear this. T5 basically FORCES you to shop as you walk to the gate.

What about airlines who give you duty free bags in the bridge? (eg. DL on my recent JFK-MAD flight). Do you ask cabin crew to perform ANOTHER bag check at the aircraft door, to ensure all passengers have placed the duty free item in their 'approved' carry on?

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Because one is specifically written into the policy and one is not...
US should disclose one way or the other about duty-free bag\box on their website and etc. so that the consumers will know upfront before purchasing a ticket. Personally, I think the reasons why US doesn't disclose it one way or another is that they are not customer-centric.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:45 pm

This is fro UA....
http://www.kw.united.com/core/englis...e/carryon.html

Carry-on baggage policies for all United travel
For travel on any United or United Express flight, you may carry on one bag and one personal item such as a purse, briefcase or laptop computer. Your carry-on bag…
•must fit under your seat or in the overhead bin;
•should not be more than 9 x 14 x 22 in. (23 x 35 x 56 cm) (length x width x height) or 45 linear inches* (114 linear cm); and
•may be required to travel as checked baggage if the bag cannot be safely stowed on a particular flight.

The following personal items are not counted toward your one bag and one personal item limit:

•Assistive devices (canes, crutches, etc.)
•Child safety seats for ticketed children
•Infant restraint devices (infant seat with or without stroller, front pouch or back carrier)
•Outer garments (coats, hats, etc.)
•Reading material (a reasonable amount)
•Umbrellas (one per passenger)
•Food and beverages to be consumed onboard
•One musical instrument not exceeding a size of 45 linear inches*
Please note that items must be stowed in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. They may not be stowed in the seat back pocket.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:45 pm

Talking Suggestion

When things happened to me like what happened to you, I take my phone and take a pic of the indiividual.
Ask also if you can tape the conversation.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:48 pm

From LH website
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...en&cid=1000390

Duty-free articles purchased at airports inside the EU or on flights on planes registered in the EU, e.g. on Lufthansa flights, may be carried on board in a sealed bag as long as they are accompanied by a receipt bearing the date of the flight (this does not apply to flights to the USA or to code-share flights). These items must be sealed by the duty-free sales staff. Additional special regulations apply to USA and UK flights. For example, liquids still may not be taken on board as hand luggage on any flights departing from or flying via the United Kingdom. Special regulations apply to liquid Duty Free items in hand luggage taken on board direct and connecting flights to the USA. Please ask about these at the local sales outlet.

Similar regulations apply in an increasing number of countries worldwide, such as the USA, Japan and Korea.

You are therefore advised to check the website of the relevant departure airport before your flight to find out which regulations apply.

Specific regulations may also apply to carrying liquid or gel Duty Free items in hand baggage, depending on your destination. Please enquire about these at the local point of sale.

Lufthansa exerts no influence on these legal stipulations and asks passengers to bear them in mind already when preparing for a trip and to reduce hand luggage to the bare minimum.

You are therefore advised to check the website of the relevant departure airport before your flight to find out which regulations apply.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
I will prevent me from booking an international flight with US once US First Class product and services catches up to the leaders. That is the problem at US...not customer-centric. I have given Marriott over 800 nights of business since 2003 because how Hilton responded to me over something simple (my room wasn't clean by housekeeping...I only asked for some clean towels but they didn't want to give me clean towels as well as their attitude and tone of voice).
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:55 pm

Also Continental doesn't specifically state it nor does AA.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Good for you for flying all of those airlines. So have I and to be honest they aren't any better.... Now back to the topic at hand.
Singapore Biz = US Biz? You're dreaming...

Again, to stay on topic, this virtually discourages airport purchases and I'd imagine it's not just passengers who would be upset about that. It's all well and good to say "well check your bags then" but who on earth predicts what they will buy duty-free and allows space in their carry-on for it? "Sir, how many bags are you checking?" - "Hmmm...none...oh wait 1, I want to buy a camera...although I'm not sure how big it will be....honey, are planning on buying some perfume? If so we should check our bag..."
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:00 pm

I will prevent me from booking an international flight with US once US First Class product and services catches up to the leaders. That is the problem at US...not customer-centric. I have given Marriott over 800 nights of business since 2003 because how Hilton responded to me over something simple (my room wasn't clean by housekeeping...I only asked for some clean towels but they didn't want to give me clean towels as well as their attitude and tone of voice).
Your argument about booking away from US has nothing to do with the extra bag of duty free. Most of the other airlines arent specific about it either(Delta was the only one I saw for US-INT-US).
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
Singapore Biz = US Biz? You're dreaming...

Again, to stay on topic, this virtually discourages airport purchases and I'd imagine it's not just passengers who would be upset about that. It's all well and good to say "well check your bags then" but who on earth predicts what they will buy duty-free and allows space in their carry-on for it? "Sir, how many bags are you checking?" - "Hmmm...none...oh wait 1, I want to buy a camera...although I'm not sure how big it will be....honey, are planning on buying some perfume? If so we should check our bag..."
Never said they were equal but the worst experience I have ever had on a flight was on Singapore the next was on Qatar.... Of course I look at everything from an industry side and I know where they messed up... As for checking the bag US will not make you pay to check that bag at the gate. So you don't need to decided until after you make the purchase.

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Perhaps you should read the rules an write out a check for $10,000 for the fine that agent is going to face when he gets caught allowing more than 2 bags.

Hmmm, I see plenty of people board US flights with more than their allotted size/amount of carry-on bags.

How many US employees have been forced to pay $10,000 as a result? Can you give us a few examples?

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
There are two problems I have with this situation:

1) Forcing a passenger to pay for a seat for a bag, regardless of what type of bag, the size of bag, the contents of the bag, etc.

2) Not enforcing the 2 carry-on items per passenger limit, which was outlined by the OP

Yes, send an e-mail to customer service about this issue and request a refund minus the cost to check the bag you could have checked at the gate when offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.