Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by MightyTravels
Hold on - most NH flights intra-Asia can't be seen by the agents -why are they NQ? Confused...
intra-Asia NH flight are not generally a problem. I've had the occasional flight that can't be seen by USDM, but for the most part it's ok.

air Japan is a different matter.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:46 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
intra-Asia NH flight are not generally a problem. I've had the occasional flight that can't be seen by USDM, but for the most part it's ok.

air Japan is a different matter.
I just tried several combinations of KIX/NRT/HND to HKG/ICN/PEK which show perfectly available on united.com and ANA search but 2 US Airways agents sas no flights ... Odd!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Hold on - most NH flights intra-Asia can't be seen by the agents -why are they NQ? Confused...
Yes, Air Japan (NQ) flies a lot of NH flights intra-Asia.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I just put the below itinerary on hold for a friend. What is weird is that the US Airways agent could not see the United Express segments for Economy that United.com showed as availability. It could be an IT glitch or phantom availability or whatever, but MKE - ORD and ORD - MKE could not come up.

Here is what we have on hold for 110,000 per person in business class USA to Australia in September 2014

ORD - NRT (ANA 773) [Stopover]
NRT - BKK - SYD (TG 346 TG 747) [Destination]
SYD - ICN (OZ 777) [18 hour layover to visit friends]
ICN - ORD (OZ 777) [Finish]

Taxes and fees came to $151.00 per person + $35 ticketing fee. Any suggestions on getting the agent to find the United MKE - ORD and ORD - MKE flights? I asked the agent to attempt a long sell and she said she could not "even though it says it on the internet to ask" LOL. Worst case they will just drive instead of fly.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by cactus47
Just tried this. US agent said to take advantage of the schedule change for a free change, it had to be the same number of segments. Since I had PHX-YYZ-MUC, they won't let me do PHX-ORD-ZRH-MUC since that would add a segment.

Has anyone heard of this before? I do not want to risk canceling and rebooking because of the good chance that the remaining flights would not go back into inventory.
Two weeks ago, I was checking on a trip I have booked for February and was informed by the agent of a change of aircraft on one of the segments (ICN-NRT) resulting in only Y and C class. He couldn't find availabilty in F class so I accepted the business class but asked him to book me on an earlier flight so I could spend a night in Tokyo instead of Seoul which went fine.

Checking on another booking, I was told I could only replace a segment (booked in economy class) with one segment since I already have 10 segments for the whole trip which is the max, even if there were a 2 segment availability in C.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I'm on the phone with an agent and I'm trying to book just one segment (of many) on LH, which shows availability on the ANA and UA site. However, she can't see the LH availability. She told me that her understanding is that US "used our allotment" of LH award seats. She put the rest of my itinerary on hold. But since it is Saturday, I'm going to try again later and see if I get lucky...
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:01 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by tommyleo
US "used our allotment" of LH award seats.
I'm pretty sure there is no such thing!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
I'm pretty sure there is no such thing!
I don't know. Considering how many cheap miles US has sold and considering how many bloggers now spoon-feed the award-ticketing process to their readers -- and considering that LH in on record of not appreciating US's miles promos, I don't think this is an "IT glitch."
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Same for NH flights to US, like NRT-HNL, HND-HNL, etc. Those are also all NQ.

It's simple. It's NH but "operated by NQ" (which is 100% owned by NH if I am not mistaken).
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:27 am

If anyone has a fast, creative solution for this one, it will be very much appreciated. I've been up all night trying to book an award itinerary to BKK and VTE (Vietiane, Laos) because finding flights back to PHL from VTE on 1/5 is proving to be extremely difficult -- especially since US can't see the 1/6 LH PEK-FRA leg (for 2 in J) that is available on the UA and ANA site.

But I thought I came up with a solution. Here is the entire itinerary, with a workaround for that PEK-FRA leg: PHL-FCO-BKK-VTE-BKK-PEK-ZHR-FRA-YYZ-PHL.

Actually, I originally wanted PHL-FCO-BKK (open jaw) RGN-VTE-BKK-PEK-ZHR-FRA-YYZ-PHL. Yet the agent and supervisor told me that I can't have a stopover with an open jaw -- a rule which I knew. But I thought VTE was my destination (not a stopover), so I didn't see why the open jaw was illegal. Turns out, BKK is slightly further from PHL than VTE, so BKK is my destination and an open jaw. So VTE is the stopover.

But when I gave the supervisor my credit card info again (after removing the open jaw), the itinerary got flagged by the computer again: this time, because my return is too many segments and/or miles. Interestingly, the supervisor said that the FRA-YYZ-PHL segments were specifically flagged.

The supervisor said she doesn't know exactly how many miles or segments the overage is -- which doesn't really help me know exactly what I need to do to make the routing legal. And yes, if BKK is the destination, then my return is BKK-VTE-BKK-PEK-ZHR-FRA-YYZ-PHL --- which is a whole lot of segments on a return. But I thought that with my segments totaling only nine, the long return would not be a problem.

Everything is still on hold (for 24 hours). I've been trying to find a more direct return (departing VTE on or around 1/5) for way too long now. If you have any fancy ideas that I may have overlooked, fell free to share. Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:13 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by OnePassLover

JFK-ICN OZ F
ICN-PEK CA J
PEK-BKK TG F (2 weeks stop)
BKK-SYD TG F (4 days stop)
SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-ZRH TG F
ZRH-FRA LX J
FRA-YYZ AC J (3 days stop before going back to ny)
YYZ-LGA AC J (not use just to avoid OJ)
Pls let me know:

I see availability to go from the States to SYD in F (actually O) on OZ/CA (via ICN/PEK). I checked on my SABRE Corpo tool and this routing exceeds Max Permitted Mileage. But I see that folks are booking these itineraries - so US is not checking the MPM any longer? Shall I try to book this itinerary?

Pls let me know...
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by TPJ
But I see that folks are booking these itineraries - so US is not checking the MPM any longer? Shall I try to book this itinerary?
YMMV with USDM...

You have to answer your question by yourself, if you really want to try it...
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
In my experience they'll allow five segments per direction but not 6... They Re probably treating your first bkk as the destination sadly instead of the second one

Originally Posted by tommyleo
If anyone has a fast, creative solution for this one, it will be very much appreciated. I've been up all night trying to book an award itinerary to BKK and VTE (Vietiane, Laos) because finding flights back to PHL from VTE on 1/5 is proving to be extremely difficult -- especially since US can't see the 1/6 LH PEK-FRA leg (for 2 in J) that is available on the UA and ANA site.

But I thought I came up with a solution. Here is the entire itinerary, with a workaround for that PEK-FRA leg: PHL-FCO-BKK-VTE-BKK-PEK-ZHR-FRA-YYZ-PHL.

Actually, I originally wanted PHL-FCO-BKK (open jaw) RGN-VTE-BKK-PEK-ZHR-FRA-YYZ-PHL. Yet the agent and supervisor told me that I can't have a stopover with an open jaw -- a rule which I knew. But I thought VTE was my destination (not a stopover), so I didn't see why the open jaw was illegal. Turns out, BKK is slightly further from PHL than VTE, so BKK is my destination and an open jaw. So VTE is the stopover.

But when I gave the supervisor my credit card info again (after removing the open jaw), the itinerary got flagged by the computer again: this time, because my return is too many segments and/or miles. Interestingly, the supervisor said that the FRA-YYZ-PHL segments were specifically flagged.

The supervisor said she doesn't know exactly how many miles or segments the overage is -- which doesn't really help me know exactly what I need to do to make the routing legal. And yes, if BKK is the destination, then my return is BKK-VTE-BKK-PEK-ZHR-FRA-YYZ-PHL --- which is a whole lot of segments on a return. But I thought that with my segments totaling only nine, the long return would not be a problem.

Everything is still on hold (for 24 hours). I've been trying to find a more direct return (departing VTE on or around 1/5) for way too long now. If you have any fancy ideas that I may have overlooked, fell free to share. Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold

Just buy the ticket to VTE separately. It is dirt cheap and only an hours flight.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:27 pm

Will this possible?

SIN-BKK-HND()NRT-ORD-EWR(dis)JFK-ICN-NRT(stopover)HND-BKK-SIN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.