Car Rentals [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:46 pm

Just a couple of data points:

Rental #1: 10/1/11, HLE $5.47 a/i.
Rental #2: 10/8/11, HLE, $6.11 a/i.
Rental #3,4 were cars I actually needed, normal charges
Rental #5: 11/5/11, HLE $9.77 a/i.

Low rates can be gotten. I don't understand the variability in the price, other than employee differences. All were very understanding at this particular HLE.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Just a couple of data points:

Rental #1: 10/1/11, HLE $5.47 a/i.
Rental #2: 10/8/11, HLE, $6.11 a/i.
Rental #3,4 were cars I actually needed, normal charges
Rental #5: 11/5/11, HLE $9.77 a/i.

Low rates can be gotten. I don't understand the variability in the price, other than employee differences. All were very understanding at this particular HLE.
Wow -- great rates. At my HLE, I tried on two separate occasions to ask for a special rate since I wouldn't actually be using the car, and both times I was quoted the non-discounted rate available on the website.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:44 pm

Could be an employee discount CDP. I haven't been brave enough to use the ones I've found via google due to reports of accounts getting blacklisted if you don't have ID. They can also bill you after the fact for the highest rate. It's just not worth the risk to me vs. the AMEX Plat CDP which hasn't resulted in any problems for anyone that I'm aware of.

Last edited by HikerT; Nov 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by stallion114
I booked 2 hertz for the same day under the same hertz account but with different dm #s and both got credited to my one us air account. Anyway to get it reversed or am I sol ? The printout @how 2 different dm #s
Alarming. Maybe you have your USDM on acct file?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by stallion114
I booked 2 hertz for the same day under the same hertz account but with different dm #s and both got credited to my one us air account. Anyway to get it reversed or am I sol ? The printout show 2 different dm #s
If you log into your Hertz account now and view the online receipts, do those still show different DM #s on each receipt? And which CDP number did you use? Was it the one for double miles?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:34 pm

Multiple rental on the same day?

I plan to rent 3 cars from 3 different rental companies this Saturday. Will they count as 3 hits instead of 1? Anyone had experience last year? TIA!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by RedLancer
I plan to rent 3 cars from 3 different rental companies this Saturday. Will they count as 3 hits instead of 1? Anyone had experience last year? TIA!
Under one DM account or 3 DM accounts?
I think T&C limits one rental per day per account.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by RedLancer
The rules allowed it last year; this year, no.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by beltway
The rules allowed it last year; this year, no.
How about 2 car rental on the same day at one Hertz location under 2 different DM account? Wife could use one more car rental hit
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by BearSmart
How about 2 car rental on the same day at one Hertz location under 2 different DM account? Wife could use one more car rental hit
Thats fine. I did it.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I rented from AVIS from a non-airport location (DT Austin) to SAT.

I knew that AVIS doesn't give points for non-airport rentals, but I figure I'd email them to see if I can get my "missing" miles since I returned it to an airport.

I got an email saying the rental was ineligible, oh well.

Also, stupidly rented for 1 day in LAS with Hertz using a $25 coupon. My base rental price was $18, but with taxes, my total ended up being $31.

Hertz refused to give me credit because my base fare was less than $0 since I used the coupon. Dumb, dumb, dumb me. Should have rented a car that was more than $25.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I had two rental car foul balls due to pure n00bishness.

One, a National one-day rental using a 1-2-FREE cert. The last time I got miles for a rental car, it was a flat 50 miles per day. Now with National it's 2 miles per dollar, factored on a base rate.

So I literally had a rental with a total cost of 75 cents for the FF fee...but no FF miles!!

And I also had an off-airport Avis one. I actually needed the car and they were the cheapest option so I don't feel too bad about it...but when I learned that it wasn't a hit I had to recalculate my GS plans...

I ended up at 36 posted hits with no more "easy to get" ones, so all is well... But definitely a lesson learned on the rental cars. At National, I guess I could have asked for a GPS unit or something...
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I am at 31 hits. I have a National car rental scheduled for pickup 11/12 drop off 11/16. From the OP it looks like this should count as a hit. Would you all consider a safety hit on this? Would hate to come up one short.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
I had two rental car foul balls due to pure n00bishness.

One, a National one-day rental using a 1-2-FREE cert. The last time I got miles for a rental car, it was a flat 50 miles per day. Now with National it's 2 miles per dollar, factored on a base rate.

So I literally had a rental with a total cost of 75 cents for the FF fee...but no FF miles!!

And I also had an off-airport Avis one. I actually needed the car and they were the cheapest option so I don't feel too bad about it...but when I learned that it wasn't a hit I had to recalculate my GS plans...

I ended up at 36 posted hits with no more "easy to get" ones, so all is well... But definitely a lesson learned on the rental cars. At National, I guess I could have asked for a GPS unit or something...
I had planned on how many hits I would get included my 2 rental car hits thinking it would be an easy 24. I had to buy some Biscoff cookies to offset one of them. Luckily, Sharebuilder posted when I didn't it expect it to.

Next year, NO MISTAKES!!! (yea, right).
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:06 am

Just got one of my Thrifty hits:

10/29/2011 11/08/11 THRIFTY CAR RENTAL BONUS 50

Looks like their cutoff is Saturday, with the miles posting on the 2nd Tuesday following. I had another on the 30th that hasn't posted yet. I returned the car the same day, so the date could be either one. So far, though, all the car companies have used the pick-up date as the activity date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.