Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Welcome to the Dedicated Grand Slam Forum!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by mikeef
I believe (and someone who is more familiar with US can correct me) that, with the double miles bonus, you can purchase them for about a penny per mile.

Mike
Purchasing the max + bonus will get you to $0.0148 cpm.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Purchasing the max + bonus will get you to $0.0148 cpm.
What's the best argument someone can make for purchasing max miles here? I'm on the fence and would appreciate hearing a good case for it. I know it's not one-reason-fits-all, but I'm planning on 1k buy, least cash outlay. If you're going for max, what's your rationale? (I don't have big travel plans in the works and wasn't planning to buy before GS. I'd love to be persuaded.)

Last edited by NewArrival; Aug 31, 2011 at 7:41 pm Reason: wording fix
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by NewArrival
What's the best argument someone can make for purchasing max miles here? I'm on the fence and would appreciate hearing a good case for it. I know it's not one-reason-fits-all, but I'm planning on 1k buy, least cash outlay. If you're going for max, what's your rationale? (I don't have big travel plans in the works and wasn't planning to buy before GS. I'd love to be persuaded.)
There are likely myriad reasons for purcashing the minimum or max depending upon personal situation. If you have a trip coming up I'd purchase toward the higher end. If you don't it might be more beneficial for purchasing 1K miles.

I'm on the 1K purchase side of things.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Yes, she is fully aware, since she is also a (mileage) whore.
I noticed your use of brackets. I take it thats secondary then
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:12 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
My wife is ...also a (mileage) whore.

Mike
Thanks for the morning chuckle.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by travelkid
I noticed your use of brackets. I take it thats secondary then
Originally Posted by dwcatty
Thanks for the morning chuckle.
On our second date in 2001, we watched one of those "special" videos.

A friend of mine at NW had sent me a video of the new Detroit terminal, so we curled up and watched it.

As my brother puts it, "wrong for the world, right for each other."

Mike
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum;
New to Grand Slam

I did not get an email regarding this promotion. Do I have to sign up anywhere or will my activity automatically be tracked?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Signed up today. Looking forward to reading this thread for the next few months.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by flywheeler
I did not get an email regarding this promotion. Do I have to sign up anywhere or will my activity automatically be tracked?
You have to register first. See the registration thread for more info.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum;
Thanks. Registered.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel
As I wrote last year, there are at least three ways to track your costs:
  • the total outlay of cash;
  • the amount you would not otherwise have spent (incremental cost); or
  • the amount for which you received no value other than miles (which I'll call sunk cost).

As an example, my purchase of printer ink from Office Max cost $54 but I needed the ink and it was the same price at Staples, so the incremental cost was zero, as was the sunk cost.

On the other hand, for a no-drive car rental at $25, all three costs were the same.

What makes the cost-per-miles calculation troublesome is that, as you approach the higher tiers of bonuses, higher incremental and sunk costs start to look more worthwhile.
I would also like to see the calculation include the time spent to accumulate these additional miles. It can take a lot of time to earn miles worth a few bucks.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
I would also like to see the calculation include the time spent to accumulate these additional miles. It can take a lot of time to earn miles worth a few bucks.
I have a salaried job that is exempt from overtime pay, so I don't calculate any value for my time. If pursuing miles and bonuses causes you to take time away from paying work, it could be a concern. Ditto if it interferes with your personal and family life.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I consider anything that I would have bought anyway to be zero. If I give up item X and buy item Y instead, I consider the price difference to be the cost. It works in reverse, too. My wife is getting cheaper flowers for her birthday this year. The difference goes in as a "negative cost."
I entered a negative cost for one transaction last year, but I can't remember what it was.

When converting miles, I use Lucky's thread as an estimate and consider not only the cost of the miles/points that I converted but also the US Airways miles that I collected.
I haven't estimated the value of transfers, but that is partly because I have a hard time using hotel points at all. In fact, the greatest single benefit of the GS last year is that it got me to take a week's vacation (which I won't be able to do this year).
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:36 pm

Welcome to FT! That's an excellent ratio, although I believe you mean $.004, not 4/1000 of a cent or four cents per mile. .
Mike
Yep, that's what I meant.

As far as figuring the time it takes, I consider this a hobby. It's like putting a puzzle together only you actually win a really cool prize when you are done instead of just an ugly picture of a lighthouse.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
can someone explain how points.com hits work?
i understand how to get the hit for swapping miles-but how does the sharing miles one work?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.