Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Welcome to the Dedicated Grand Slam Forum!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:14 pm

So I still have a lot of hits that I want to get in (maybe 12 or so). I know the promotion runs until November 14, so does that mean I have to have everything done and POSTED by Nov 14, or I just have to make the purchases. Meaning if I do a bunch of hits next week is it all going to count for the Grand Slam even if they take a few weeks to hit?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by Miles Meyers
So I still have a lot of hits that I want to get in (maybe 12 or so). I know the promotion runs until November 14, so does that mean I have to have everything done and POSTED by Nov 14, or I just have to make the purchases. Meaning if I do a bunch of hits next week is it all going to count for the Grand Slam even if they take a few weeks to hit?
You have until march 14th. to get the partners to post.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
You better hurry- or search/read FT- or your hits posting later might count for Grand slam 2012^
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by cvarming
You have until march 14th. to get the partners to post.
So if partner activity doesn't post by Nov. 14. will US Airways still track and tally points for the Grand Slam until March 14, 2012, and then after that if its not posted your SOL?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
So if partner activity doesn't post by Nov. 14. will US Airways still track and tally points for the Grand Slam until March 14, 2012, and then after that if its not posted your SOL?
Precisely.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:20 pm

Help with my Grand Slam

Hello all. I’m new to Grand Slam this year (and miles in general) and would just like a little advice. Here are the hits I have so far. Not sure if I should try for anymore. Hopefully these will all post. I can’t do any car/hotel hits as I’m under 21. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

DM Toolbar – posted
Audience Rewards – did the 5 quick questions on the quiz, not posted
eMiles – pending I get 500 miles, currently at 385
Mags for Miles – not posted
DM Shop Mall – not posted
DM Dining – not posted
Thanks Again – not posted, restaurant.com card
Super Shuttle – posted
Biscoff – not posted, bought Anna’s cookies
OfficeMax – not posted but delivered
SkyMall – not posted
ShareBuilder – not posted, but I bought 9 more shares
US Airways Debit Card – pending it comes in the mail
Points.com – don’t have enough miles/points in any other account to transfer
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
It would be helpful if, for each hit, you indicated when you completed the activity in addition to whether it has posted or not.

Your debit card is almost certainly too late to count now, so that's a write-off.

You really should also read up more on this thread - there are plenty of explanations for how to work the points.com "exchange points/miles" hit even if you have no other programs/too low of balances.

As to whether you should try for more, how many miles do you have now in your US account? What do you want to do with them, and when?

We need more information before we can help you.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
A couple of things I see here.

I think you may be too late for the debit card. Miles post in the first week of the month with a transaction date of the first of the month. I would assume that the next posting of miles will have an activity date of 12/1 which would not qualify as a hit. Maybe someone else can confirm as I have only had the card for a month and a half.

points.com - You say you don't have any points in any other accounts to transfer. Go to the points.com thread in this forum and check out the S@H Greenpoints transfer. Basically, you open up a Greenpoints account; transfer a few US miles to Greenpoints and then transfer them back to US. Counts as a hit and processes immediately.

I see vysean beat me to it!!

Assuming you get all of the hits counted that you listed (excluding Bof A and including points.com) you would need three more to reach the next level. The next cheapest three hits would be NetSol, Vinesse and Trackitback which would cost you about $70. IMO the extra 10,000 miles would be worth the additional cost.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gnarly
Once all of this bonanza is over do we have to wait until GS12, or do other airlines/hotels etc. run similar promotions?

I would quite enjoy one of these each quarter for a different scheme.
The Continental Mile-a-thon runs in the spring and curiously actually encourages you to fly Continental (among other activities) in order to earn bonus miles. No idea if that will continue given the merger.

UA also has a miles promo now (Months of Miles) but it sounds like a cluster from the posts I've seen and was for some reason invite-only. Although from the angry posts, perhaps I should be happy I wasn't invited.

Not familiar with any hotel programs doing similar things, unless you count signing up for 285 (supposedly not) stackable promo codes and earning 1,000,000 points per hotel stay with IHG as a promo. I might be exaggerating the numbers on that slightly...
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:49 pm

Played straight, Months of Miles wasn't that great of a deal: 2 or 3 partner activities of $10 or more (depending on your offer) got you 1000 miles, up to 25K. The advantage over GS is that you can do the same activities as much as you want, making each one $10, not the escalating costs of GS.

This being FlyerTalk people found a way to work it, of course. First of all, they initially said unlimited miles. Reminder to all promo designers: LIMIT X PER CUSTOMER. Imposing the 25K limit a week after the promo started annoyed a lot of people. It was also initially unclear if dining was covered by the $10 minimum, so people were buying $1 sodas.

The second problem was that you could get activities for gift cards which can be converted to cash at, say, 90% of face value. So for $2 or $3, you get 1000 miles. $200 = 100k UA miles is a great deal, obviously -- too good. There were also tricks to get an even higher cash recovery on the cards.

So UA had to belatedly impose a 25K cap, and disallow gift cards from earning miles, leaving those that bought hundreds of $10 cards in confusion.

So US's GS is downright organized by comparison.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond; AA: Exec Plat
Sweep Dreams?

Are we expecting a sweep today? It's been two weeks, right?

Last edited by geaux_tigers; Nov 7, 2011 at 10:07 am
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by geaux_tigers
Are we expecting a sweep today? It's been two weeks, right?
It might happen today -- they did it early 2 weeks ago -- although per the rules the sweep would be scheduled for sometime Wednesday this week, possibly as late as Wed. night.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Precisely.
If the hotel check in is 14 Nov and check out Nov 15 does this still count? Activity date with Hilton is always check in. So, hits on 14 do count, right?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by OliverM
If the hotel check in is 14 Nov and check out Nov 15 does this still count? Activity date with Hilton is always check in. So, hits on 14 do count, right?
If the activity date is the 14th then it counts. As for specific hotels you need to check in the Hotel Stay thread.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by beltway
It might happen today -- they did it early 2 weeks ago -- although per the rules the sweep would be scheduled for sometime Wednesday this week, possibly as late as Wed. night.

yeah,when is the next sweep-should it be happening tonight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.