Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "is Economy Plus worth it?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "is Economy Plus worth it?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
It really should be a reward for fequent flyers, not a way to extract more money from people.
E+ is indeed a reward, and free, for United's own Frequent Fliers (Premier Associates and higher). It's only the others that have to pay.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Oddly, I just got back from 12 hours in Munich (well, yesterday). First non-premier cabin flight in the past 4, i.e., all Y. LAX-MUC was on LH too so you know it's tight. On the UA LHR-SFO return in 17C on a 777, I kept looking at the pitch and thinking back to LH. Glad the seatback isn't in my face (and I'm 5'8"). I wouldn't pay up for a transcon (even $50 is a nice bottle of scotch), but I'd sure earn the status to get it every time.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
I think the OP was talking about a free upgrade to E+. If E- is booked solid , they will have to move some passengers up to E+. Just dont select a seat assignment, and they'll give you one at the gate. If E- is full, you'll get a seat in E+. However, waiting till the gate to get a seat assignment puts you at risk for being separated and being placed in two separate E- middle seats.

FWIW, I wouldnt spend the $200 on E+ upgrades. I have done ORD - HKG - SIN in E- middle and lived. If you have the cash and are a tall person, you'll benefit from it though.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
I then went on long trips transatlantic in E-. Those were painful, but fine. But there is no way I'd pay money for E+. That's UA's way of squeezing more cash out of you. It really should be a reward for fequent flyers, not a way to extract more money from people.
Take the $100 and go for a nice meal instead.
E+ means that I can use my laptop, which I really need to get some work done or for entertainment purposes to stay sane on 8+ hour flights.

E+ means that I can sit without my knees touching the seat in front of me.

E+ is the difference between claustrophobia and humane seating.

All of this would be worth more to me on a transcon or TATL flight than a fancy meal afterwards.

United is providing an extra service (more legroom and generally lighter loads than in E-) at a moderate price: $349 a year, including a companion. I would happily pay that as a non-elite flyer and consider free access to E+ as one of the most important perks of my elite status.

I do not think it is appropriate to accuse United of "extracting more money from people" for offering a valuable service at a moderate price.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
worthy

Go for it!!!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,
Its 50 bucks a person so 100 bucks total. We're flying Delta back so this is only a one way deal. I'm 5'10" and girlfriend is 5'9" so it may be worth it. From orbitz the flight looks packed and first class/economy plus still have a bunch of open seats. What I'm thinking about doing is volunteering to get bumped off the flight it its overbooked catch the next flight at 1230 and instead of getting milage getting a bumped up o economy plus or something. Any body have some spare miles they want to loan me?
haha
thanks
Dave
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by colonius
E+ means that I can use my laptop, which I really need to get some work done or for entertainment purposes to stay sane on 8+ hour flights.

E+ means that I can sit without my knees touching the seat in front of me.

E+ is the difference between claustrophobia and humane seating.

All of this would be worth more to me on a transcon or TATL flight than a fancy meal afterwards.

United is providing an extra service (more legroom and generally lighter loads than in E-) at a moderate price: $349 a year, including a companion. I would happily pay that as a non-elite flyer and consider free access to E+ as one of the most important perks of my elite status.

I do not think it is appropriate to accuse United of "extracting more money from people" for offering a valuable service at a moderate price.
Your points are valid, and yes these are well-known perks to E+. But I would *personally* never shell out $100 for something that is free on Jet Blue (sans personal TV!). Keep in mind, the farther you fly, the more expensive E+ becomes for non-elites (I was non elite until July this year). They wanted to charge me a few hundred dollars from SFO-FRA to fly in E+. E+ is better, but it is not *that* much better. But if you would pay for it, I respect your viewpoint. However, I would not shell out cash to fly in a E+ seat; I would simply get on Jet Blue and get the same sized seat with a TV.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
I would simply get on Jet Blue
Unless, of course, you are flying SFO-FRA.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: united
Your points are valid, and yes these are well-known perks to E+. But I would *personally* never shell out $100 for something that is free on Jet Blue (sans personal TV!). Keep in mind, the farther you fly, the more expensive E+ becomes for non-elites (I was non elite until July this year). They wanted to charge me a few hundred dollars from SFO-FRA to fly in E+. E+ is better, but it is not *that* much better. But if you would pay for it, I respect your viewpoint. However, I would not shell out cash to fly in a E+ seat; I would simply get on Jet Blue and get the same sized seat with a TV.
I would agree with that. I think it is a disgrace that airlines
stick passengers in seats, which are barely fit for children and then charge
significant amount of money to get an extra couple of inches of pitch.

On the other hand, the main reason I keep flying United is getting E+ for free. How pathetic..
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
Originally Posted by kkjay77
Transcon in E-?
Personally, I would never do that.
As a matter of fact, I wouldn't do transcon in E+ either.
But, there are many out there who survive such a flight.

Talk about spoiled...
Uggg, I had to do this on *gulp* US Air last week and it was *painful*. At least I was able to sweet talk my way to an aisle seat w/o having to pay the extra fee on US to do so...

Originally Posted by oenophilist
Reasons its worth it:

1. Tall. Particularly with long legs
2. Using a laptop. Impossible to use a laptop in E- if the person in front of you reclines.
3. Claustrophobic. Man, its tight in the back of the plane.
Don't forget point 4 - The ability to get off the plane faster than the suckers stuck in row 34 (757s) or 26 (A320).

Originally Posted by UpstateNY
As for the "free" upgrade on the IAD-SEA leg, I had to laugh. I'm 1K and I sometimes sweat that upgrade. With no status, fuhgeddaboutit. (And, as others have pointed out, there are no free upgrades on UA -- they all require an instrument of one kind or another. Check out the FAQ's on this forum for more information.)
Hmmm, really? We must travel on different days and different ways. I mostly fly SEA-IAD when doing transcons and so far this year I've scored an upgrade each time I've requested one. Even on the A320s! *knocks on wood*

In my opinion, E+ access is worth it for long flights (3+ hrs). Anything less than that I'd not pay for it if I was non-status. E+ access (and the fact few *good* airlines fly to ROA) is the main reason I've stuck with UA instead of switching to CO or AA. Who am I kidding, I'd never switch to AA.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by seagull22ds
Thanks everyone,
Its 50 bucks a person so 100 bucks total. We're flying Delta back so this is only a one way deal. I'm 5'10" and girlfriend is 5'9" so it may be worth it. From orbitz the flight looks packed and first class/economy plus still have a bunch of open seats. What I'm thinking about doing is volunteering to get bumped off the flight it its overbooked catch the next flight at 1230 and instead of getting milage getting a bumped up o economy plus or something. Any body have some spare miles they want to loan me?
haha
thanks
Dave
Tell us your flight date and number and we can check the loads, I don't know how accurate the seatmap is on Orbitz, but on UA you can't see how full E+ is w/out having status. Or you can check out www.seatcounter.com and it will tell you buy farbucket what is available. If 9's across the board in E+/- then it is a wide open flight.

Also, if you are able to get a bump you have options, $$$ or a free RT in continental US. You could probably score E+ seats and the RT if they need you.

Welcome to FT
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seagull22ds
Thanks everyone,
haha
thanks
Dave
I would say it is worth it on overseas flights If you talk about Economy class by seat comfort UA isn't bad. The service is another chapter but the seat is fine !

A small investment for the long hours in the back.

On domestic flights I guess I would not pay for it though, especially if there is a stop in between.

Enjoy the ride
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

We are flying out of IAD on the 2nd of January on flight 261. Departs at 8:39 AM and gets into SEA at 11:31AM. Looking on seat counter A,B,E and F all have 9.
Thanks everybody for the opinions. Going to talk to the girlfriend see what she wants to do.
Thanks

Dave
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by rkaradi
on UA you can't see how full E+ is w/out having status.
Sure you can -- just go onto .bomb to check your itinerary, make like you're going to purchase the travel extra of E+, proceed to the screen where you choose your E+ seat, and then cancel the transaction after you've looked at the seat map.

I found E+ worthwhile on my recent TATL trip, and I'm only 5'2". On both legs E+ was empty enough that I had an entire middle row to myself, and I was near the front of Y, well positioned to sprint for my very tight connection (in E-).
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
To each his own. For my own I'll take the extra space, especially transpac or transat or transcon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.