Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL and Chase to launch 3 new Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by TIMOS
But when I fly LAX-IAD-GIG (Rio) on United, as it is all United I can't use the lounges of my own airline even though I am Premiere Exec / Star Gold?
You can. Your LAX-IAD-GIG UA flight is considered *A international.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.....But when I fly LAX-IAD-GIG (Rio) on United, as it is all United I can't use the lounges of my own airline even though I am Premiere Exec / Star Gold?...?
When you fly a domestic only itinerary you will not be able to use RCC, but as fttc pointed out you can use domestic RCCs if itinerary includes international destinations.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When you fly a domestic only itinerary you will not be able to use RCC, but as fttc pointed out you can use domestic RCCs if itinerary includes international destinations.
OK, got it. Makes sense now. So any international travel I can use United Red Carpet and Star Alliance lounges... just not domestic flights.

This is great news. I had no idea!

I have been Prem Exec for 5 years and flown all over the world and never knew I could use lounges! If only I'd known.....!

Thanks guys.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
OK, got it. Makes sense now. So any international travel I can use United Red Carpet and Star Alliance lounges... just not domestic flights.

I have been Prem Exec for 5 years and flown all over the world and never knew I could use lounges! If only I'd known.....!

Thanks guys.
WOW!! 5 years without going into a lounge I hope you start going every chance you get to make up for lost time I was finally able to apply and get the MP Select Visa. For some odd reason when i was filling out the form before it asked if I had a chase login I entered my info and when it tried to populate the fields I got an error that said that the offers were no longer available. I finally just filled the form in manually and got approved. Kinda weird after I hit submit it just confirmed receipt of application with no approvals but when I logged into my chase account yesterday the account numbers and credit line was setup!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent

Thanks guys.
I believe it is only for your international gateway, so if you try and go on a domestic connection to your gateway you may get denied. In your case you can go into the *G lounges at IAD not necessarily LAX. Depends on the person working the front desk of the LAX RCC. In IAD try the LH lounge if you have the time and make sure they are open. Everyone says it blows the socks off of the RCC but is a little far from UA gates. Showers, free booze and authentic German food ^
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
I believe it is only for your international gateway, so if you try and go on a domestic connection to your gateway you may get denied. In your case you can go into the *G lounges at IAD not necessarily LAX. Depends on the person working the front desk of the LAX RCC. In IAD try the LH lounge if you have the time and make sure they are open. Everyone says it blows the socks off of the RCC but is a little far from UA gates. Showers, free booze and authentic German food ^
That's incorrect. As above posters indicated, a *G(including 1P & 1K) gets RCC access at any club at transit airports on an INTL itinerary. The only exception I can think of would be if you had a domestic stopover somewhere, thus breaking the intl itin. In practice of course this is subject to the agents, but I've never had a problem when using this 'feature'. The LAX RCC agents seemed to fully understand this portion of the admit policy in my experience. If they scan the BP it gives them a green light. On the domestic portion of a return, they've asked for my intl C stubs.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
I believe it is only for your international gateway.....
That is the drink chit rule, RCC access for UA 1P on international itinerary is system wide
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:19 am

That is the drink chit rule, RCC access for UA 1P on international itinerary is system wide
Ah! Thanks for the correction. I've only transited once through SFO on an intl itinerary most of my travels have been through LAX.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: United, Starwood
UAL has sent me both email and snail mail to upgrade to their select card, but I don't really see an advantage to it. I don't make enough purchases on united.com to make the 3 miles/$1 worth it, and other than that there really doesn't seem to be much benefit.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: UAM+ 1P, HolidayInn Priority Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, ANA silver
free first year membership fee for another new card after 6 months

In June 2008, I got a UA MP Chase Credit Card for work related traveling, but was under my personal name.
After the first year of the free membership, in May 2009, I was billed the the first membership fee for the next coming year.
I cancel this credit card in May 2009 without paying that membership fee.

In January 2010, I applied and got a new UA MP Signature Chase Credit Card for myself. I assume I will get the first year free of membership fee for this card. But this week, I was billed $160 for membership fee.

So, I assume, I am not getting the first year free membership for this credit card? Correct?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by young707
....So, I assume, I am not getting the first year free membership for this credit card? Correct?
Most credit cards have policy not to provide certain sign-up bonuses for repeat customers -- such as first year fee waiver. While not published, you may have to wait 2-3 years to re-qualify as a "new" customer.
The previous card in your name apppears to be triggering this -- did you pay the monthly billing yourself and then was reimbursed?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: UAM+ 1P, HolidayInn Priority Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, ANA silver
The previous card in your name apppears to be triggering this -- did you pay the monthly billing yourself and then was reimbursed?
I got the the new statement with the membership fee. I am thinking to cancel this card and not to pay for the membership fee.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Conversion offer

I've been waiting to switch my card to the new "Select" version by converting my existing account and, based on the thread here, it appeared that this might be possible early this year. Last year, the Chase rep I spoke to wanted me to start a whole new application.

Yesterday in the mail, I received an offer from Chase to convert my existing UA-branded card to Select, and keep the same credit card #, simply by going to chase.com/upgrade2united. However, when I went there and typed in the required information, I was told that I was "no longer eligible." Has anyone else had this problem? Any other experiences with conversion? I'd like to convert my card and my spouse's but am not keen on opening new accounts, with a credit report being pulled and getting new credit card numbers assigned.

Last edited by sfolawyer; Feb 28, 2010 at 8:26 pm
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by sfolawyer
Any other experiences with conversion? I'd like to convert my card and my spouse's but am not keen on opening new accounts, with a credit report being pulled and getting new credit card numbers assigned.
I didn't try the website route, but called on Friday to switch my "Gold Class" card to Select. The rep knew what I was asking about right away and it took about five minutes on the phone. New card should arrive in 7-10 days, same account number.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
I'd like to convert my card and my spouse's but am not keen on opening new accounts, with a credit report being pulled and getting new credit card numbers assigned.
I recently converted my old Platinum card to the new Select card, since I don't plan on spending > $35k on the card going forward (for the extra 5k EQM that the Platinum offered). I initiated the transfer with a online message using the Chase secure messaging system. I specified that I wanted to switch, but not get a credit report pull and that I wanted to keep my existing number. Wasn't a problem. Got confirmation within hours and a new card (with same number) a few days later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.