Wiki Posts
Search

Using SWU on V Fare FRA to ORD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2001, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Using SWU on V Fare FRA to ORD

I have a question concerning using a SWU on a V fare from FRA to ORD. United offers a VKINTDE fare on their German website. But the fare rules state upgrades are not permitted. On the old SWUs there was a statement under item 3. that said V fares were upgradeable "except when the terms and conditions of sale state that the fare is not eligible for upgrades." However on the new SWUs there is no exclusion statement. It simply states a list of eligible fares for upgrades and this includes V fares.

Does anyone have any information if the VKINTDE is upgradable with a new SWU?

A call to the 1K desk resulted in an "I do not know" answer, "try the web support number". A call there resulted in "we know nothing about the German web site". So I am kinda stuck not knowing if I can upgrade on this fare.

( FYI: The reason I want to use this fare versus the more common VLDESP fare is the VKINTDE fare has no advance purchase requirements whereas the regular V fares usually require 14 days advance.)
Old Feb 10, 2001, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
V=V=V=V=V=V
Old Feb 10, 2001, 8:49 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I thought the fare rules were the final decision?

If the fare rules say the fare is NOT upgradable, then that would seem to answer the question.

Unless the SWU states it overrides the fare rules, I would say that your fare is not upgradable.

BUT, I am NOT a United employee... just my opinion... and I have never even touched a SWU, so I do not know what they say.

William
Old Feb 10, 2001, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It simply states a list of eligible fares for upgrades and this includes V fares.
V = V = V = V = V

William - what part of the above do you not understand?

SWU are about THE most coveted piece of upgrade paper in It'l FF'land. They are only given to .01% of all UA MP members as a reward to their VERY highest mileage fliers. They are useable on pretty well ANY fare can you buy, from ANYWHERE UA flies, TO anywhere UA flies, no matter the distance, no matter how cheap the ticket. No sweat. 1K Guys doing the $27 LAX-Paris error flight have even been upgraded on that using SWU's. Which is WHY they are so highly prized.

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 02-10-2001).]
Old Feb 11, 2001, 7:39 am

Glen,

Sometimes your arrogent statements do not even deserve a comment! But I will anyway!

I was commenting to the poster and not you!

You have made it painfully clear that you are one of the .01% of United most loyal fliers. But you have also shown that you are willing to break their rules when it suits you (NOTE: SWU for NY Hotel nights).

Chi1K, I was just providing my opinion based on what information I had from personal experience. I was told that fare rules trumped ANY upgrade certificate; up to and including SWU's. Of course, any agent of United can waive any rule if they wish to. I hope you are able to use it as you want, but hope you do not get disappointed.

William
Old Feb 11, 2001, 8:08 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Not upgradable in UA fare rules normally means not upgradeable with miles.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

William. You admit to never having seen or touched a SWU. Well I have, and Chi1K has, and the new ones make it clear that V fares (for the THIRD time) are upgradeable, as the old wording is not on these Certs. He was not asking about upgrades using points or even a C/S one segment Cert, (which such a fare restriction would both preclude I imagine) but a NEW type SWU. It was a simple question, with a simple answer, which I gave. Please read the Cert for yourself:

http://members.aol.com/premex/uploads/united/sys01.jpg

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old Feb 11, 2001, 10:51 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally posted by peter42:
Not upgradable in UA fare rules normally means not upgradeable with miles.
I asked UA about this, and the 1K rep said that when a fare rule states that it's not upgradable, it means nothing can upgrade it. If you buy a travel agent discounted W class fare, and it's printed on the ticket that it's non-upgradable. It means exactly that, even if the fare class is suposedly upgradable. The rep said that's the rule, BUT she said many many agents overlook that and still upgrade a person with an SWU anyways.

[This message has been edited by tfung (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old Feb 11, 2001, 10:55 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
And don't forget that there's always the "Other restrictions may apply" statement on it.. basically if you get a rep who doesn't want to upgrade you because your fare rule says so, call back and try again with someone else! =)
Old Feb 11, 2001, 11:32 am

Tfung,

Thanks for your eloquent statement.

That is what two different agents told me. The fare rules applies to ALL mileage and certificate upgrades including ALL SWU's (old and new).

Of course, any agent can override the rules if he or she wants.

Of course, it looks like my opinion is pretty worthless to some since I have never used or touched a SWU.

William
Old Feb 11, 2001, 1:29 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

Ive used SWU's on a V Fare I purchased to go to CDG about 10 days ago. I wasnt aware of any additional special restrictions on my ticket, but I would suggest you go ahead and try to book your upgrade.

If the 1K desk say they dont know, then I would say they are not saying no. Have you tried to get a confirmed seat in NC ? Good luck !!
Old Feb 11, 2001, 1:40 pm

Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
Ive used SWU's on a V Fare I purchased to go to CDG about 10 days ago. I wasnt aware of any additional special restrictions on my ticket, but I would suggest you go ahead and try to book your upgrade.

If the 1K desk say they dont know, then I would say they are not saying no. Have you tried to get a confirmed seat in NC ? Good luck !!
The normal V fare is upgradable with SWU, as with any published fare. But then the rep I was talking to said that sometimes if you buy a ticket from a travel agent or consolidator, even though the fare code may be V, W, Q or whatever, they add a line that says "fare is not upgradable" on it, which effectively makes it exactly that.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tfung. The more sensible practice is NOT to mention upgrading to the travel agent in these cases. Upgrades are a pain for them at all times, and they earn ZIPPO for discussing them with UA. Say nothing. Get your ticket issued in V by UA in this case and THEN phone the 1K line and say you've decided to use a SWU is what I'd do. Simple as that. As has been discussed here to death, getting upgrades done BEFORE ticketing is done via an AGENT is just not an option these days. Also as discussed by Premex, myself and others, getting upgrading done months ahead if needs be on It'l tickets, BEFORE ticket is issued if booked direct with UNITED but not necessarily ticketed is not big deal. However, as this one seems a gray area, why not just lock in the ticket price, buy it, and try for upgrading it AFTER issued. If one agent sounds not happy, be polite, say "Oh well, too bad, did not realise that", get off the call as nonchalantly as you can, and phone back again. Never argue or push things to the extent your reloc will often be noted thus.

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old Feb 12, 2001, 12:23 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
My comment (and I have not touched a SWU ... yet!!!! Come on oz post! ) is this... Often fare rules say they can't be upgraded and you can. I humbly submit that when you buy a ticket, and front up to the airport, the agent will see "CLASS V" on the tix, think (insert German accent here) "I can upgrade dis fare for dis valued passenger with de SWU" - they don't have the time or care too much about actual fare rules, unless something comes up.

Note, on Star Alliance RTW fare, it says something like "Individual segments may not be upgraded" - well I've upgraded so many of these suckers it's not funny. In that case it may well mean that you can't upgrade using $$ though, and perhaps that is also what the VDEINT fare means too (along with miles etc, which you can't use for an international V fare anway).

I'd also think that calling res with your PNR and asking for upgrade they would do the same thing - see V class and not think too highly about the rest(although we all know how much Germans are sticklers for the rules! )

I say: buy the ticket, show up at the airport with SWU in hand and go for it!

------------------
UA 1K MEL
Wannabe UA MELKA !

[This message has been edited by RichardMEL (edited 02-12-2001).]
Old Feb 12, 2001, 2:20 am

The point I'm trying to make here is that even for V class fares, they are different prices and different rules. For example, a V class fare from let's say BOS to BKK roundtrip costs about $700 if you buy it directly from UAL. However, the same V class fare if bought from a consolidator or travel agent could be as low as $600. The difference of the two is that the later MIGHT not be upgradable. To get yourself upgraded, you might have to buy yourself an H fare from the travel agent. Which might be about $750. So it really depends.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.