Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Crazy Fare - $85 from San Jose, Ca to Paris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy Fare - $85 from San Jose, Ca to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2001, 8:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally posted by tfung:
Yeah.. but the thrill is flying transaltlantic on a $21 fare. I think the price for the BOS-SJC flight is about $500 right now. Probably be cheaper on priceline or a travel agent.
I guess it all depends on what your goal is. If it is flying transatlantic for $21 or going to paris, then you got yourself a winner.

If it is mileage accumulation as the cheapest price, then i would say that your current situation is not the deal of the year since you need to get from BOS to SJC.

Remember, there is a risk that UA would deny everyone who purchased this ticket boarding at SFO. For those local to SFO, that is no big deal. But for you, finding that out in SFO would be painful.

Really, who here is going to dump UA or join a class action suit over a $29 - $85 ticket?

[This message has been edited by seawolf (edited 02-01-2001).]
Old Feb 1, 2001, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amazing, simply amazing. A tip of the hat to all of you if it works out!
Old Feb 1, 2001, 8:03 am
Original Member

Originally posted by fallinasleep:
wow!, was away from the house and didn't catch this amazin' deal. Congrats to all that got it.

also, 65 posts in 3 1/2 hours must be a record on FT (and Ozstamps, please do not bother correcting me with one of your threads if it isn't)

Good work Benjamin!
I have to agree. Congrats to all those who picked it up. Ditto on 65 posts in 3½ hours.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 8:04 am
Original Member

Originally posted by KevinB:
Oh my god! There are 7 of us going on the 16th and coming back the 18th?

You mean I might get to meet people from the Board and thank them for getting me addicted?! That is SO cool!

Benjamin, your post on here is getting me to Premier Executive when I land in Paris... I owe ya one pal

KevinB

This is surreal. An unplanned FlyerTalk get together.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 9:27 am
West Coast 1K

I can't believe that I missed this fare!!! Things like this don't come around that often. It would have been worth the ridicule of my wife and friends to go on this mileage run!!!

Old Feb 1, 2001, 9:34 am

Everyone please check their credit card balance. I used my Visa check card to purchase this fare, and while I receive an email receipt for 27.98, I looked at my account this morning, and there is a pending hold for $573.42 from United. My bank csr says to wait, it may or may not go through.

Old Feb 1, 2001, 10:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
While I certainly think this is spectacular so many people were able to jump on this, and hope it works out for everybody, I would hate to be the poor slob who gets assigned a seat between two people from this group who paid $800 for a flight half the plane is talking about taking for $30.

Mike
Old Feb 1, 2001, 10:32 am

Programs: Many
I used a Wells Fargo credit card, just called them. The amounts on my email receipts are the same as what UA sent the card transactions thru as, so it looks like I'm Ok. Will be interested to hear if
other people are ok.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 11:15 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Concur with Punki. This is the most awesome thread on FT in ages. Of course, my heart is breaking that I missed out on this sweet deal (sob, sob) ...

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 02-01-2001).]
Old Feb 1, 2001, 1:00 pm
Original Member

Not sure how they update fares but you do know that whoever made that fare mistake is in a lot of trouble at UA because of Flyertalk members.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 1:04 pm

Originally posted by seawolf:
Not sure how they update fares but you do know that whoever made that fare mistake is in a lot of trouble at UA because of Flyertalk members.
Greetings SeaWolf,
Why do you say "because of Flyertalk members"?
Old Feb 1, 2001, 1:44 pm

I wish you all luck, but United is under no legal obligation to honor such an obvious mistake. Does anyone have even the least ethical concern over this? You all know the fare was in error. What do you do when you give the cashier a $20 bill and he/she mistakenly gives you change for a $50?

As I said, I wish you all luck but spare us the moral outrage when/if UA leaves you at the gate or bills your credit card the correct fare.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 2:09 pm

Originally posted by mrbally:
correct fare.

To me, "correct fare" is the price asked for by the vendor, stated in writing on their website. I, the buyer, agreed, forked over the credit card, complete with whatever consumer protection rights go along with, it, and hit the send\purchase button. Record locator provided, seats assigned, ticket number issued. In our role as consumers\travelers who make consumption choices, we can not say that a vendor, who controls pricing issues, made a mistake. Three cheers for Benjamin! I'll do the SJC-BOI trip after I get back from the Eiffel Tower.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

I just came from the CTO and the charge on UA's ticket says $535 per ticket for me. They have also reserved the full amount on my charge card. Me thinks we will have a battle right now.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 2:45 pm

Originally posted by mrbally:
I wish you all luck, but United is under no legal obligation to honor such an obvious mistake. Does anyone have even the least ethical concern over this? You all know the fare was in error. What do you do when you give the cashier a $20 bill and he/she mistakenly gives you change for a $50?

As I said, I wish you all luck but spare us the moral outrage when/if UA leaves you at the gate or bills your credit card the correct fare.
I do not feel that this is tantamount to the incorrect change scenario so detailed by mrbally. I always tell the cashier that she has given me incorrect change. However, if the the store has marked down and item from say $200 to $5 instead of the intended $50... well that's poor price/inventory control.

I'm dismayed about the assumption that some of us would exhibit "moral outrage." I for one acknowledge that this is a glitch, and I feel fortunate to get the fare, not entitled.

[This message has been edited by Tranman (edited 02-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tranman (edited 02-01-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.