Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Crazy Fare - $85 from San Jose, Ca to Paris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy Fare - $85 from San Jose, Ca to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2001, 2:57 pm

Programs: Many
E-ticket
Old Feb 2, 2001, 3:08 pm

Unagi,

Let's assume ScottTheFlyer's explanation holds. Since your ticket was e, no paper had to be issued. The refare appears to occur when paper is issued. Sounds like its the Eiffel Tower without the Tylenol. Enjoy.
Old Feb 2, 2001, 3:46 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Prices were for tax only. Scott the Flyer is correct that UAL will not (ok..does not want to) honor the tickets. All tickets will have been corrected by the rate desk and everyone here will be charged the full amount. How you choose to fight it, is up to you.

"Don't shoot the messenger" - registered trademark of Martel Inc.
Old Feb 2, 2001, 4:16 pm

Call your credit card company and report a loss on the card. Freeze that number and get them to send you a new card. This way, UA will not be able to charge you few days later without your consent.

Sure you can always dispute the charges... but once the money is in merchant's hand. It's much harder to get it back. You have to prove that the charage is a fraud and they will pull the sales invoice from merchant. You have to write a letter, etc etc.

It will take you weeks to months to go through this.
Old Feb 2, 2001, 4:20 pm

Auh20,

Did UA indicate that paper tickets will still be mailed as usual, whether at "crazyfare" or "regular fare"?
Old Feb 2, 2001, 4:21 pm
West Coast 1K

At first I was really upset about missing this fare. Now I'm not so sure that I missed out on anything other than a fight with United (like we all don't do that enough anyway ).

Old Feb 2, 2001, 5:03 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally posted by MoreMiles:
Call your credit card company and report a loss on the card. Freeze that number and get them to send you a new card. This way, UA will not be able to charge you few days later without your consent.

Sure you can always dispute the charges... but once the money is in merchant's hand. It's much harder to get it back. You have to prove that the charage is a fraud and they will pull the sales invoice from merchant. You have to write a letter, etc etc.

Freezing your credit card won't work. If UA attempts to charge your card the correct amount but cannot do so, you are guaranteed no travel because you haven't even paid for the ticket.
Old Feb 2, 2001, 5:05 pm

I find it hard to believe that those of us with e-tickets were never ticketed....

I have checked ual.com many times to see if anything has changed, and it hasn't - I was charged $24.98 for each ticket, and United has given me an e-ticket, and a number in the system...

Guess I won't find out until I get to the airport....

KevinB
Old Feb 2, 2001, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Mine was issued as a paper ticket... so when I receive the ticket and if it shows $600 instead of $21.98, I'm just going to call up the 1K desk and throw a fit... maybe I'll get a refund and also something nice from UA to "apologize". Going to be a long shot, but there's nothing to loose...
Old Feb 2, 2001, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
It sounds like many of us are trying to sink to schemes now. There was obviously a mistake. If we are truly loyal flyers of UA, we should support our company, and not take advantage of it. And yes, I do believe that we are trying to take advantage.

Yes, UA should honor a fare. But we, too, should honor our conscience.
Old Feb 2, 2001, 6:12 pm

Scott the flyer: UAL can say anything they want to discourage people from demanding their tickets. That's exactly what Travelocity US said about the QF fare until they were told about consumer law and a binding contract which made them do 180. I wouldn't even bother calling anyone as long as the tickets are in hand and you have been charged whatever amount on the card. Dispute it AFTER the flight.

Unagi1: You shouldn't have any problems with your flight. Enjoy Eiffel Tower.

MoreMiles: I'm afraid that reporting the loss of the card won't work too well. All charges to the card are still processed upto the minute that you report that loss. So, unless you want to pay for the fare with a lost/stolen card... As far as having headaches with getting the charge reversed then I have had somewhat different experiences. Once you report the incorrect charge (this can be even done upto six months if not more after the event) to your bank they'll send you out a short form where you have to fill in your name, address, c/c number, details of the transaction and tick the box which event applies to you i.e. never authorized the transaction or it was a double charge or you authorized one price but were charged the other which would be this case. Upon receiving your form some banks will give you instant temporary credit others will sort the matter out first and then refund all the money plus interest. The merchant MUST produce a receipt/docket with your signature on it as this is the credit card law in most countries. Internet and telephone transactions are all done in good faith since there is no signature involved and if you dispute the charge then in 99.5% of cases you get your money back.
Old Feb 2, 2001, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
The $27 + change was for TAAAAAAAX!!!!!!! That makes sense and it is really funny really no-one thought of that possibility earlier.

Anyway, sounds like a dead-end for some of you needing paper tickets, and commisserations. Others possibly not so. I am in no way taking a view on zrs thoghtful post here, just outlining a viewpoint. (And btw the cancelling card idea seems very devious, and really is un-necessary surely? Acting directly and openly in the belief you lucked on a bargain will stand more scrutiny IMHO?)

Lets take this hypothetical. Joe Camel picks up his newspaper. See full page sale ad for another major airline to Paris. Thinks, "wonder if UA is price matching as I want to go to Paris next month"? Turns on ual.com and punches in a date. Comes up $27-$87 or whatever. Says to himself "Holy Moley they are undercutting AA in a fare war - let me snag these babies and let me book that NOW". Does it on his credit card, gets a valid receipt for an e-ticket for under $100 a ticket plus taxes. He is very pleased. He has read about dirt cheap fares for short periods before. Everyone has.

Goes to airport, gets his boarding pass, does the flight. Gets back home. THEN receives credit card bill $500 whatever a person. Has he cheated UA??? How was he to know it was not an instant price battle with the other major? Is he dumb or smart not to read FT?? Would he need to pay the $500? He never signed for it. He never agreed to it. He never would have flown had he known. UA never told him about $500. Does he need to pay - in my view, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

This is what I posed a few pages back.

No-one I feel is disagreeing that it is plain nonsense and illegal of UA to unilaterally charge $500 for something you "signed up for" at $30 or whatever. They have no hope in the world of making that one stick. HOWEVER, when you phone Citibank and dispute the charge, "no sale" is then the nett result isn't it? And no sale means no $27 ticket.

Me, I'd make the flight, not even ask what the card statement eventually said, but keep at all times that $27 receipt, as THAT was the price you honestly THOUGHT they'd accepted via your credit card and that is WHAT you authorised to be changed to you. Like you guys, I get monthly card accounts. A mid-March flight would be completed before I even saw my statement which cuts off on 24th each month. If it said $500 etc, I'd dispute it with VISA. What are they going to do then - demand I un-fly the trip?

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 02-02-2001).]
Old Feb 2, 2001, 7:21 pm

Programs: Many
KevinB -
On the UA web site, under My Itineraries,
my e-ticket PRN shows as "Ticketed", and also, if I click "select" to look at the details, it says in red "This Reservation Has Been Ticketed"
Old Feb 2, 2001, 7:29 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
OZ,

The $ 27.00 doesn't even cover the tax. Usually it's about twice that amount!
Old Feb 2, 2001, 7:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally posted by MoreMiles:

I don't think it works that way. Have you ever lost a card before? Even if you cancel the card, charges posted against the old number will still hit the "new" account and will still need to be disputed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.