Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Crazy Fare - $85 from San Jose, Ca to Paris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy Fare - $85 from San Jose, Ca to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2001, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
Rose sounds like a desperate effort to minimize the damage.

so unless you keep the printout of fareclass/fare rule. the most likely outcome is you have a good weekend under effeil, but no miles ;_)...and your cc comp,any should have no probelm protecting you from unauthorized charges
Old Feb 10, 2001, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally posted by Nobbi:
ImRose, shame on you! Stating you know some people who work for united is just a deception when you AOL profile gives you away.
From a post on 8/5/2000...

Originally posted by ImRose:
I work for UA in customer service.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../002577-2.html

Old Feb 10, 2001, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
My words of advice then, if you are departing ORD on the $27 tickets, and the check-in staffer smiling at you saying "ticket please" has a name badge saying "ROSE", go get back on the end of the line again, and try again.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Feb 10, 2001, 7:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Anybody who is contesting it with their credit card company keep an eye on the calendar, there is a time you are allowed to contest (60 days) from the time the charge first appears on your bill. While most credit card companies will take the information over the telephone, your rights under federal law are only protected if you file your dispute with your bank in writing, not by telephone, web form, or e-mail. I don't believe Debit Cards have any rights at all here, so don't count on a dispute after the fact.

I really don't see how they figure they have the right to charge more then the $30 or whatever it was, no matter what the situtation was. They should either honor the ticket or refund the money, they don't have any authorization to hit anybody for a $500 charge, this one will be real easy if put in dispute.
Old Feb 10, 2001, 8:35 pm

Programs: Many
There are but a few (lonely are the brave?)
including moi, with true e-tix, with UA E-Ticket(sm) Receipt and Itinerary showing the PRN, the fare basis, the fare code, the 016-xxx ticket number, and the *price*.

No one that I'm aware of on e-tix have
been contacted by UA or ITN.

A number of our group more knowledgeable than I have said that the true e-tix folks are good to go.

Old Feb 10, 2001, 8:36 pm

Programs: Many
Edited

[This message has been edited by unagi1 (edited 02-10-2001).]
Old Feb 10, 2001, 11:34 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
As a 1K I am very disappointed by Rose and the position she is stating (from UAL). United's position to alot of their frequent flyers is the same. No, not everyone knew it was a programming error.. some may assume "WOW.. what a deal". Then they pay the ticket, buy some non-refundable hotel rooms, take vacation and UAL is going to call them 7 days before.. canceling the trip or cough up $300-500 more?

I think UA should be disgusted with itself if it does. As a 1K from 2000, who is trying for the March 31st 25,000 1K challenge.. I will be very inclined to stay with Continental or American if UA plays this type of "hard ball".
Old Feb 11, 2001, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For the sake of "the people", I sincerely hope that all of you who actually bought these tickets fight this sucker to the wire-- don't let up until you have your tickets and your miles. If there are enough of you, it might even be cost effective to pool your resources towards a little legal bullying.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 5:28 am

"Programming Error" or intentional crazyfare? Our "doc" on Feb 1, 2001 posted under the Lufthansa board that LH would be holding a Valentine's auction between Feb 2 and Feb 5 with opening bids as low as $20 to fly roundtrip to Europe?

Regarding "when" to dispute an unauthorized charge such as this, one CC company advised to initiate BEFORE you fly. By the time forms are completed, etc., and before the merchant is contacted, the flights are completed. The CC company strongly recommended send the initial dispute request via certified mail.

Unagi, as Michael Jackson once sang, "You are not alone, I am here with you" (la-dee-da)
Old Feb 11, 2001, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Michael Jackson also sang "I'm forever blowin' Bubbles"
Old Feb 11, 2001, 11:07 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

"unauthorized charge of $550.00 on my credit
card, which UA never bothered to call me about. How would you react to an unauthorized charge of $550 on your credit card? I am just curious. I am being quite patient with this, and I'd appreciate your understanding in return."

I don't know about Visa, but I talked with Amex and their position is UA will win the battle. Also Imrose is correct that UA's legal department is aware of the situation as are the brass high up. But I doubt that they will just refund the tickets by calling you and with out a "we are sorry" gift. We should all hear from UA early next week.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 11:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I'm confused by the United will win the battle comment. United does not have the authorization to charge any more then the $28 or whatever it was. They have two choices, first to honor the fare or second to cancel your ticket and refund the money.

Did Amex say they think United won't have any trouble putting through a charge for $500 or $600 that was is not authorized and not what the customer agreed to? If so, then you chould consider another card, but it's possible that because Amex isn't a Credit card the same rules don't apply to them, but a merchant just can't decide after the fact the price I paid was too low and charge me whatever they want to, no matter whose mistake it was in the first place.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 3:00 pm

I just talked with Diner's Club, who told me that if I get to the airport with my e-ticket and United refuses to honor it, I should buy a regular fare, and then dispute it....

Diner's Club will stand behind me and even told me make sure I keep the e-ticket, cuz it's as good as gold.

I fully expect to be on a flight to Paris with unagi1.... And if United wants to make me pay and then not get the money later, that's fine with me....

I bought the ticket in good faith, and didn't find out it was an error until later....

And Nobbi is right - IMRose should be ashamed of herself!

If United screwed up, it's time to fire someone, not take it out on passengers...

*I* have nothing to be embarrassed about at the airport if United screwed up...

*United* should be embarrassed to have someone as sneaky and rude as IMRose working in Customer Service....

KevinB
Old Feb 11, 2001, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
[duplicate post]

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old Feb 11, 2001, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally posted by LAX 1K:
As a 1K I am very disappointed by Rose and the position she is stating (from UAL). United's position to alot of their frequent flyers is the same. No, not everyone knew it was a programming error.. some may assume "WOW.. what a deal". Then they pay the ticket, buy some non-refundable hotel rooms, take vacation and UAL is going to call them 7 days before.. canceling the trip or cough up $300-500 more?

I think UA should be disgusted with itself if it does. As a 1K from 2000, who is trying for the March 31st 25,000 1K challenge.. I will be very inclined to stay with Continental or American if UA plays this type of "hard ball".
Sorry, off topic: can someone please post links to the 25,000 1K challenge? As a regular 1K that qualified with the full requirements in 2000, will I get 2002 1K benefits if I fly 25K status mileage before 3/31 ? - Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.