Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

ATL, BWI, DFW, and MSP Red Carpet Clubs to Close

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL, BWI, DFW, and MSP Red Carpet Clubs to Close

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
OK, so it's time to move on from the "mourning" phase and enter the "How much money did he leave me?" phase.

Personally, I would quite like an ex-RCC Granite coffee table as a souvenir! I wonder what United will be doing with the RCC furniture at DFW and the other locations. Hopefully, the furniture doesn't belong to Aaron's Rent to Own and it will be auctioned off.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:18 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Well, it's more rational than the response I got from US

- but it still sounds a little bogus ...

I am responding to your communication addressed to Graham Atkinson
expressing your concerns about the scheduled closure of the Red
Carpet Club in Baltimore. Considering you use this location
frequently, I can certainly empathize with your disappointment.

As you can imagine, the decision to close any facility is never
an easy one as we recognize we run the risk of losing customer
goodwill. At the same time, the decision to close the Baltimore
Red Carpet Club came only after a thorough evaluation of the
number of clubs we operate and the services we are able to
provide. In the end, based on customer usage and available
facilities we decided that the closure of the club at BWI and
other select locations was necessary. This move will allow
United to continue providing high quality service in our other
34 Red Carpet Club locations.

Although there are no current plans to offer alternative
lounges, we want to understand this change feels from your
point of view. Your candid feedback will be shared with our
management teams responsible for evaluating decisions that
impact your travel experience.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 2P, IHG Royal Ambassador
MSP RCC Closing

Here's the response I received:

Hello Mr. gregdane,

Thank you for contacting us.

It is correct and unfortunate that the club will be closed by October 10, 2008. I would be happy to cancel your membership and give a pro-rated refund of mileage once it is officially closed, as you are still able to use the club now.

Contact me again once the club has officially closed and I will figure out the unused period of your membership and recredit the appropriate mileage.

And, the only other lounges at MSP are NW's-
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I asked for a refund of 10% of my membership purchase price (40,000 miles), given that United is closing 10% of RCCs. 5,000 miles were just deposited into my account as a "UNITED POLICY ADJUSTMENT."
Old Jul 22, 2008, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rch4u
I asked for a refund of 10% of my membership purchase price (40,000 miles), given that United is closing 10% of RCCs. 5,000 miles were just deposited into my account as a "UNITED POLICY ADJUSTMENT."
^ Are you satisfied?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW Plat
Never used these lounges before. Still, bad to see any RCC close.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
1/8 refunded for what you note as 1/10 closing. Not bad.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Well... I hit ATL/DFW/MSP a combined 4x/year, so it's not brutal, but it's not good either. With my AMEX Platinum, ATL/DFW will move to American, and MSP was already NW a bunch of the time due to price out of MDW.

I do BWI 6-7x/year, but doesn't bother me as much: I have friends who live about 12 minutes away and so I rarely spend much time airside even when I'm flying there for business, and as a result WN's 9:25pm westbound flight Sun-Fri was already very useful for me.

PHL would not be the end of the world either if I was allowed to use the B/C RCC instead. I really hate the PHL RCC, and for that matter I hate pretty much everything about PHL other than the Chik-Fil-A in the B/C food court!
Old Jul 26, 2008, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I'll miss the BWI Red Carpet Club, as will other Annapolis folks

Originally Posted by czarina (Post #23)
I fly out of BWI half the time, and there were really only a few UAL flights there. This club is tiny, didn't offer much, but was still better than sitting at the gate, and I'm sorry it won't be around anymore. However, I am not sure if there are any other lounges with recipricol privs in Pier D.
Originally Posted by violist (Post #26)
There were enough flights to sustain a small club. There were enough US flights to sustain a small US club. Both are going away, the US club two months sooner.
I was about to suggest the nearby US Airways Club, with its wonderful cappuccino machine. Sorry to hear that's shutting down, too.

Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard (Post #62)
Why would US & UA both close their lounges at BWI? Totally weak. I'll have to pour out some of my Red Carpet Ale in memory of the RCC there. The BWI RCC was also an added bonus whenever I flew FL as well. The only thing I like about ATL is flying out of the T-Gates on UA. Since I'm shortly moving to the BWI area this fall & my main routes are ATL/BOS, I may have to go DL... eep. Wow, this makes me totally sad. I'm def writing in to the RCC customer service to complain about this. 99.9% chance I won't be renewing.
Originally Posted by mersk862 (Post #74)
US' club at BWI is closing this summer (along with RDU).
Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard (Post #93)
Just got this reply: "I will forward your comments regarding the closing of the Baltimore and Atlanta clubs to the appropriate department within United and United Red Carpet. Customer feedback is important as well as useful in future business decisions. Your continued loyalty as a Premier member is important to us."

From my message: "I think this is my first time ever writing in regarding being unhappy with United, so I must apologize. Please do not close the BWI or ATL RCC's. Relaxing at the BWI RCC is like an oasis in a vast wasteland that is Baltimore. I can understand the need to cut costs, but there are other ways to do it and keep these clubs open. This makes me so sad that I will probably not renew my membership at the end of this year. I love United and the RCC otherwise, but please PLEASE keep these clubs open (esp since I'm moving to BWI this fall). Thanks! UNHBuzzard"

Very cookie cutter reply.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post #94)
I wonder why US and UA don't split the cost and save one of the two lounges--making it the "Star Alliance" Lounge at BWI?

At least there is still a nice USO lounge at BWI--the hours, IMO, were so odd at the BWI RCC anyway. It was always closed when I flew the evening BWI-LAX flight at 7pm.
Originally Posted by dmodemd (Post #101)
What's also disturbing about the BWI closing is that there isn't a CO President's Club there. ATL and DFW have one. So when the CO hook up goes through, at least you could have gone to the President's Club . . . .
As a life member of the Presidents Club and US Airways Club, I have to agree. It looks like no lounge for me when I attend my USNA reunion in the fall of 2009. As you were. I'll likely just rent a car from IAD or DCA.
Originally Posted by dmodemd (Post #118)
I wrote to 1KVoice about the BWI closing in particular. I suggested it should be maintained and used as a Star Alliance lounge for both UA and CO since both sets of gates are next to it! This would save costs and improve customer satisfaction, especially among CO flyers who now would have a lounge there. I know a LOT of CO elites fly out of there because many of my co-workers are Plats on CO on the BWI-IAH runs every week.

Im sure it would get pretty crowded in there but it would get use. Also, it might be good to have a CO ticket agent added in there with their own terminal for their systems.

This idea could be used at other airports if UA, CO, US are co-located in a terminal, or move gates to be co-located as they did in NRT?

If they are serious about saving money they should really consider combining lounges into a Star Alliance lounge with each airline pitching in.

Im sure my suggestion will fall on deaf ears.
Actually, this is one of the most feasible suggestions in this thread. Time to start sending in letters (or e-mails, but a letter is better).
Originally Posted by silver springer (Post #121)
Of all three WAS airports, I fly primarily out of BWI and really enjoy the small, cozy, and friendly RCC. I agree with others that purchasing a membership to RCC loses its importance when you can't use one at your home airport.

I also wrote to 1k voice expressing my disappointment and stating that this must be one of the cheaper clubs to run as it is staffed by only one person (at least the times I travel) and it is small.

I encourage others to write about the RCC closings and your plans not to renew if that is appropriate.
Hear, hear!
Originally Posted by violist (Post #122)
Debbie said that she thought the last day would be October 8 or 9
(I forget).

Myra was out, perhaps sick.

Evelyn, who is employed by a third party, expressed confidence that
there would still be an airport job for her; the rumor is that the US
Airways Club space would be taken over by the airport authority and
turned into either a shared-elite (US/UA/CO) or paid-entrance lounge.

I've e-mailed Graham Atkinson and Jerry Thomas to protest this
stupidest among illusory cost-cutting measures (the RCC pays for
itself, and BWI has done well in this regard).

Some moderator, would it be appropriate to post the e-mail addresses
of the relevant UA executives? If not, they are E.Z. to figure out.
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy (Post #123)
I think somebody did earlier in this thread. Shhh...

Sounds like the staff at BWI is encouraging e-mail these folk when questioned about it. Call me a cynic, but I doubt it'll make much of a difference. Never hurts to go on record and voice your displeasure, though.
Originally Posted by sfskier (Post #126)
BWI RCC will definitely be missed. Used to fly through there weekly before it was remodeled and it was about the size of a large closet. The staff there were incredibly friendly and helpful. They would even help you with an extra upgrade cert now and then (when they were paper). Wish they would send the staff to train at other RCCs, like at ORD or IAD.
Originally Posted by violist (Post #132)
All of these are at united.com:

V.P. Customer Experience
graham.atkinson

reports to Chief Administrative Officer
peter.mcdonald

reports to
glenn.tilton

--

Also:
manager of airport lounges
jerry.thomas

V.P. Planning and Services
joanne.calabrese

various FTers have contributed to this list
Originally Posted by 6cf0uMBz (Post #134)
This is so terrible. I'm sitting in the BWI RCC right now. I haven't checked flyertalk.com for a while and the first I heard was from the receiptionist checking me in for the evening.

I agree with the comments many posted here. the BWI club is always busy shortly after opening for the morning. Its also probably the nicest small lounge in the network....spotlessly clean, never empty on the coffee, friendly staff.

If there is anything that can be done to show United this is a mistake it must be done quickly.

I see the post with email addresses of those in some sort of seat in power at United....most certainly going to email them.
Good luck Marylanders!
Old Jul 26, 2008, 7:54 pm

I emailed immediately after posting here and this was the response during the week...

I am responding to your communication addressed to Graham Atkinson regarding the scheduled closure of our Red Carpet Club in Baltimore. Considering you use the BWI RCC frequently, I can certainly empathize with your disappointment and concern.
As you can imagine, the decision to close any facility is never an easy one as we recognize we may risk loss of customer goodwill. At the same time, I want to assure you the decision to close the BWI RCC came only after a thorough and careful evaluation of the number of clubs we operate and the services we are able to provide. In the end, based on customer usage and available facilities we decided that the closure of the club at BWI and other select locations was necessary. This move will allow United to continue providing high quality service in our other 34 Red Carpet Club locations.
Nonetheless, we want to understand this change feels from your point of view. Your candid feedback will be shared with our management teams responsible for evaluating decisions that impact your travel experience.
Sincerely,

Charles Johnson
Executive Services
Ref 7721606A
After talking with the ground staff I've come up with a few ideas I've already started. It was a long day down at D Pier security standing around talking to United passengers. I'm took a few dozen quick video segments on my digital camera of passengers expressing their desire to keep the BWI RCC club open. I'm hoping to have them trimmed down in size and emailed back to the same United staff this week. There is no way I'm letting our club go without fighting for it. If we lose then we lose, but I spend far too many hours to just let it go away quietly. Heck, there are times I leave my office several hours early just to get some time to myself in there before my flight.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:23 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Question: How does closing a club one place help United
"continue providing high quality service" elsewhere?

Observation: Charlie Johnson has become Charles Johnson,
Executive Services. Congratulations to him on the promotion,
or at least the nice title.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
3 email messages, one response

I received the same email response from Mr. Johnson as did 6cf0uMBz, word-for-word. Now would have been a nice time to say if there were plans being discussed for a contract lounge at BWI.

Originally Posted by 6cf0uMBz
I emailed immediately after posting here and this was the response during the week...

After talking with the ground staff I've come up with a few ideas I've already started. It was a long day down at D Pier security standing around talking to United passengers. I'm took a few dozen quick video segments on my digital camera of passengers expressing their desire to keep the BWI RCC club open. I'm hoping to have them trimmed down in size and emailed back to the same United staff this week. There is no way I'm letting our club go without fighting for it. If we lose then we lose, but I spend far too many hours to just let it go away quietly. Heck, there are times I leave my office several hours early just to get some time to myself in there before my flight.

Last edited by silver springer; Jul 27, 2008 at 7:51 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I am surprised that UA was intelligent enough to give you this.

I would have suspected that they would have only offered a pro-rated refund of your RCC membership.

Are you sure they didn't just cancel your RCC membership?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:54 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I just got an ad in the mail inviting me to join the RCC. Cities listed as having RCC's include ATL, BWI, DFW and MSP. There is no mention that these are about to close.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 9:08 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Slightly peculiar and, I believe, illogical response from 1kvoice5reply

Thank you for taking the time to contact us again. I can understand the
disappointment you expressed concerning the closure of our Red Carpet
Club lounge in Baltimore. You question how the existence of one lounge
makes to another? With the closure of these four lounges we will be
able to focus our attention and recourses on the remaining lounges so we
can provide our members with the best service possible.
I am sorry that
this closure negatively affects your travel experience with United.
Please be assured that I will send a report of your comments to our
management in charge of making these decisions. As a 1K we take your
concerns very seriously and I am sure our management will be very
interested in what you have to say.
(bolding mine)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.