Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

ATL, BWI, DFW, and MSP Red Carpet Clubs to Close

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL, BWI, DFW, and MSP Red Carpet Clubs to Close

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
msp was a great lounge.. with the 500 mile gone, this is the only city in the midwest that i actually fly UA and not WN (no southwest) That club was great with friendly people.. it always seemed pretty full. with hourly flights to ord. this makes my rcc membership useless.. no more rcc for me.. aug 08 and i'm done...
UA just lost my 6 ORD-MSP round trips this fall. I've already made status, no 500 mile minimum, upgrades seldom clear, they xld my early evening ORD-MSP flight about 50% of the time, and now no RCC.

The cheapest option will get me this fall, even the extra legroom doesn't really matter for this short flight. Heck, maybe I'll DRIVE.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:54 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Shame about MSP. It is a really nice club. The idea of using the Humphrey terminal - well, anyone know what it's like?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Just got this reply: "I will forward your comments regarding the closing of the Baltimore and Atlanta clubs to the appropriate department within United and United Red Carpet. Customer feedback is important as well as useful in future business decisions. Your continued loyalty as a Premier member is important to us."

From my message: "I think this is my first time ever writing in regarding being unhappy with United, so I must apologize. Please do not close the BWI or ATL RCC's. Relaxing at the BWI RCC is like an oasis in a vast wasteland that is Baltimore. I can understand the need to cut costs, but there are other ways to do it and keep these clubs open. This makes me so sad that I will probably not renew my membership at the end of this year. I love United and the RCC otherwise, but please PLEASE keep these clubs open (esp since I'm moving to BWI this fall). Thanks! UNHBuzzard"

Very cookie cutter reply.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
Why would US & UA both close their lounges at BWI? Totally weak. I'll have to pour out some of my Red Carpet Ale in memory of the RCC there. The BWI RCC was also an added bonus whenever I flew FL as well. The only thing I like about ATL is flying out of the T-Gates on UA. Since I'm shortly moving to the BWI area this fall & my main routes are ATL/BOS, I may have to go DL... eep. Wow, this makes me totally sad. I'm def writing in to the RCC customer service to complain about this. 99.9% chance I won't be renewing.
I wonder why US and UA don't split the cost and save one of the two lounges--making it the "Star Alliance" Lounge at BWI?

At least there is still a nice USO lounge at BWI--the hours, IMO, were so odd at the BWI RCC anyway. It was always closed when I flew the evening BWI-LAX flight at 7pm.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
Just got this reply: "I will forward your comments regarding the closing of the Baltimore and Atlanta clubs to the appropriate department within United and United Red Carpet. Customer feedback is important as well as useful in future business decisions. Your continued loyalty as a Premier member is important to us."

Very cookie cutter reply.
I pretty much got the same response regarding the MSP lounge.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ninja138
Lufthansa's lounge is *G, but I don't know about the BP requirements.
I believe the LH lounge is a contract lounge and *G access only counts when flying on the LH flight.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Here's my response. it's alright I suppose, though lacking in the "here's some miles and a travel certificate to shut up". dept..

Dear [PhlyingRPh],

I regret to learn from your email about your dissatisfaction with the recent announcement for closure of the four US Red Carpet Clubs.

Dr. [PhlyingRPh], I can understand how such closure can be frustrating from our customer's point of view and cause concern. While it was a difficult decision to make, United had to take into consideration factors such as customer usage and operating costs. Although, I can't undo the disappointment you have expressed at this point of time, please be assured that I have forwarded your valuable comments to our Senior Management for their internal review and will help us evaluate our decisions that impact your choice of airline.

Additionally, I regret learning of your disappointment with the reduced number of flights, downgrading of remaining services to United Express, closure of Premier passenger checkpoint lines, to mention some few, and rest assured I will share your comments with the Senior Management for their information and internal reviews.

Your satisfaction with United's service matters to us and I appreciate your taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Regards,

[Customer Service]
United Airlines Executive Service

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 16, 2008 at 3:38 am Reason: language
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Great - just got my reply too...nice form letter.

Dear (SamZeb),
I regret to learn from your email about your dissatisfaction with the recent announcement for closure of the Red Carpet Club at Atlanta.

(SamZeb), I can understand how such a decision can be frustrating from our customer's point of view and cause concern. While it was a difficult decision to make, United had to take into consideration factors such as high fuel costs, customer usage, operating costs and alignment with corporate strategy. Although, I can't undo the disappointment you have expressed at this point of time, please be assured that I have forwarded your valuable comments to our Red Carpet Club Management for their internal review and will help us evaluate our decisions that impact your choice of airline.

As a 1K member of our Mileage Plus Program, you are especially important to United and I appreciate your taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Regards,

XXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
United Airlines Customer Relations
BTW just realized - how come I got Customer Relations and you (PhlyingRPh) got Executive Service? :-P
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SamZeb

BTW just realized - how come I got Customer Relations and you (PhlyingRPh) got Executive Service? :-P
That's Uniteds way of saying they like him better
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by SamZeb

I paid the $249 this year for Executive Service Access (TM). The chief benefit is that when the customer service agent replies to one of my emails, he clicks a red "send" button awkwardly offset to the left of the white send button. It really makes me feel important though.

Last edited by PhlyingRPh; Jul 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
What's also disturbing about the BWI closing is that there isn't a CO President's Club there. ATL and DFW have one. So when the CO hook up goes through, at least you could have gone to the President's Club (maybe only when flying CO as it looks it will be, but frankly I am usually flying CO when at BWI).
Old Jul 16, 2008, 2:06 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by dmodemd
What's also disturbing about the BWI closing is that there isn't a CO President's Club there. ATL and DFW have one. So when the CO hook up goes through, at least you could have gone to the President's Club (maybe only when flying CO as it looks it will be, but frankly I am usually flying CO when at BWI).
Nor is their one at MSP.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:35 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HighFlyer3
The decision was based on a number of factors, including high fuel costs, customer usage, operating costs and alignment with corporate strategy.
Who knew lounges used so much fuel?
Originally Posted by EuroUA1k
The Check In Area for United in ATL is a disgrace, it is always overcrowded during the crucial morning departure times and there are always extremely long lines, even for the consolidated 1k/UGS lines.
I'm sure UA has a plan to fix that ... cut flights ... voila.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
When you debits your M+ account for x thousands of miles it does not realize any revenue, just a reduction in liabilities. When UA debits your CC it's an entirely different story.

<shrug> my $.02
When miles are redeemed UA recognizes the revenue associated with the liability. It's not much revenue, but it is revenue never the less.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Good call, esp since CO will be joining *A and CO, US, and UA are all in Terminal D. Also, I stopped in the BWI RCC this afternoon just to say hi, they seemed pretty bummed out in there, so drop by to say hi if you have a minute. I also did a little googling and found some additional contacts to voice our opinion & get rid of the cookie cutter replies:

graham.atkinson [at] united.com (VP Customer Experience, UA Dept Code WHQPO, reports to pete.mcdonald [at] united.com, Chief Administrative Officer)

Also, jerry.thomas [at] united.com (Manager Airport Lounges, UA Dept Code WHQPS)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by UNHBuzzard; Jul 16, 2008 at 3:57 pm
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
As a systemwide rule, CO agents do not check the airline being flown if the passenger presents a membership card for lounge entry. Whether that rule will be maintained upon the commencement of lounge reciprocity between UA and CO is anybody's guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.