Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental & United Merger supposedly more serious [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental & United Merger supposedly more serious [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
There is no way that I would stay loyal to UA if this merger happens. CO is in my opinion the worst airline choice out there apart from Southwest. I would prefer no merger at all. Keep the competition up! That is what a market economy needs in order to function.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:59 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Furthermore I also think both brands will remain in existence, at least for the short term, as both entities will remain. Consolidation will start to occur in the administrative functions (i.e. purchasing, leasing, etc.) and then I suspect it will start to trickle down to the operational side (Chelsea used for catering, outstations being combined). I don't know if labor will ever be unified though as in the past it's gotten ugly when unions workgroups have been merged together. Likewise UA still has deep cost structure issues to address and I suspect through keeping both entities separated, at least for the time being, UA's issues can be addressed and not spill over into CO's.
Keeping both brands in existence would be quite feasible. This has happened in the AirFrance/KLM merger and the Lufthansa/Swiss merger.

One thing both of those mergers have done however is merging the loyalty programs of the partners!
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
I wonder if this would be the opportunity for new combined UA/CO management to sell off the combined MP/OnePass program?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA CK, DL PLT, HH DIA, MARRIOTT PLT, FAIRMONT LT PLT, HYATT DIA, SIXT PLT, AVIS PC
One thing that is for sure if the merger goes through united.com will be forwarded to continental.com assuming the united team has the technical knowlege to enable forwarding. Its amazing how many .bomb threads will go away!!
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Impact on Flyertalk:

After the merger, both CO and UA forums will be closed. The new "UA-CO" forum will be huge.

For a period of time after the meger, we will need to get used to dealing with quesitons and remarks from posters in the CO camp.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:55 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 Sprint:MotoQ (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Re J Edward's post 2 posts up: actually I didn't think it through enough. med sized cities are only served by UA -or- CO to respective hubs, not -and-, thus no upsizing of a/c can occur. It'd only work for duplicated routes.

A common theme in above posts is that mgt often go with worst of both worlds in a merger, no doubt wanting to boost margin. If they can learn to hold the hatchet - imagine if hubs were kept, how many more routing alternatives the new airline would have in any weather condition! Even without weather, pax will fly less miles, earn less eqm/rdm, and spend less time between many city pairs simply due to non-stop flights or more direct hubs. This can be a win-win for airline and pax, if the mgt can see that often saving a few mil. now can cost a lot more later in lost flexibility.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
3 cabin is here to stay on some routes. First, UA is still competing on flights to Asia and Australia, so 3 cabin is important... on the other hand, recent reports of F service/seat quality leaves one to wonder if they're serious. The second thing to remember: CO is making $ on 2 cabin 757's to Europe.
I think this is right except that it will be by plane, not necessarily route. 747/777 will go to full 3 class and be used on major interational routes with customers that actually buy F. 767 will go to 2 class (like AA) but with lie flat seats and be used on shorter/thinner international routes that have little paid F (or for 3rd or 4th flights/day to major destinations). CO's international 757 will stay the same for very thin routes.

Originally Posted by emma dog
Hubs at EWR ORD, and IAD are here to stay. CLE is in the center of these three airports. No need for international flights of any significance. Transfer the connecting pax to IAD if N/S, or ORD/DEN if E/W. CLE will go away like PIT, IND, RDU, and BNA.

DEN... will shrink and be used purely for some transcon transfers. Problem is that IAH and ORD do the exact same thing. The N/S west coast traffic is served pretty well with nonstops and/or the competition.

IAD... i see more international stuff being sent back to EWR if it does not have sufficient O&D traffic from IAD. Also, you may see consolidation of traffic that currently is transferring at EWR and IAD... possibly to be shifted to iad as a concession to relieve NYC airport traffic.
I agree that CLE will shrink, with most of the traffic going to IAD which has lots of extra capacity. While DEN might shrink a bit, I don't see it changing that much. IAH is no substitute as a hub as it is far away and much further south.

As for international traffic on the east coast, given the limits at EWR I could see the following system used for most routes:

1xday = 1 EWR
2xday = 1 EWR 1 IAD
3xday = 2 EWR 1 IAD
4xday = 2 EWR 2 IAD
5xday = 2 EWR 3 IAD
6xday = 2 EWR 4 IAD

Of course, this system would need to be adjusted based on actual O&D on a particular route. But it would deal with the capacity issues at EWR (and allow EWR to concentrate on NYC O&D) while also serving O&D at IAD well.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:58 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by vandalby
I wonder if this would be the opportunity for new combined UA/CO management to sell off the combined MP/OnePass program?
Maybe, but at the last DO in Houston Larry, Jeff and Mark (CEO, President, and VP Loyalty Marketing) were asked this question with regards to OnePass being spun off and the response was along the lines of, "we're always looking at ways to maximize our assets but at the same time we enjoy a tremendous return from OnePass, both in terms of loyalty and information, and we'd be concerned about maintaining these aspects of OnePass if spun off."

My take on the situation was that while the short term cash injection would be nice, it would not replace the long term benefit of having the rewards program in house, even if AA or UA moved to spin theirs off (and I mention AA as the DO was about the time AA was being pressured to spin AAdvantage).

I mean, look at reward programs today...they're lucrative for all involved. The airlines can differentiate the product through them (just look at FT!), gain revenue through merrily minting miles for partner sales, and partners peddle higher priced options to customers who are all to eager to bank more FF points.

Anyways as to M+ or OnePass being spun off...I doubt it.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Just saw on German TV (n-tv) and the respective online page: Very close to a done deal are UA-CO and DL-NW.

F.R.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat
Thumbs up New Yorkers have a lot to gain

Originally Posted by 7Continents
If UA uses CO to beef up domestic with newer planes etc, maybe substitute EWR for IAD which is a pit of despair in the old concourse it would work for us NYers.
7Continents is right. But it's not only a domestic issue. I'm GS on UA and Platinum on CO. But I fly other carriers to Asia because:
- UA doesn't have any direct Asia routes from NY
- CO has some good routes, but their Business First seats Suck Canal Water

If a merger "merged" these two issues, it would be huge in this market.

Last edited by Perpetuum; Feb 7, 2008 at 2:00 pm Reason: clarification
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Perpetuum
7Continents is right. But it's not only a domestic issue. I'm GS on UA and Platinum on CO. But I fly other carriers to Asia because:
- UA doesn't have any direct Asia routes from NY
- CO has some good routes, but their Business First seats Suck Canal Water

If a merger "merged" these two issues, it would be huge in this market.
PLEASE let this mean LGA/JFK/ISP and not just EWR. I hate EWR...
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by joelfreak
PLEASE let this mean LGA/JFK/ISP and not just EWR. I hate EWR...
So do I, but I'd take EWR over IAD anytime...^
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cl.lurker
So do I, but I'd take EWR over IAD anytime...^
Or ORD and the "What's the story today, boys?" adventure on the concourse.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:34 pm

How bout this? Continental keeps its huge operation at EWR, United keeps its relatively big operation (I believe they pretty much have their own terminal) and combine LGA operations. And connect them with buses that board airside. If there's a JFK-EWR transfer, the transfer passengers get on a United bus from the airside at JFK (use a gate for this) and then they're driven right onto the tarmac and get off airside at EWR, where they move on to their next flight.

I'm sure TSA won't like that, but since when did we care about them?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
DL/NW and CO/UA are the worst possible hookup to me. I cannot imagine that a combined CO/UA will not institute either no E+ or 50% EQM/EQS on L/T/S fares and will not institute CO's upgrade policies.

The biggest reasons I stay with UA now over AA (where I was PLT or EXP from 1997-2003) are explus and the exit row aisle on the A320. Take those away from me, and I'm back to AA where the domestic upgrades are cheaper and the mainline planes generally have more F seats.

OTOH, if UA/CO does keep 100% EQM on all fares and qualifying on segments, I can imagine a bunch of fun east coast weekend segment runs each year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.