Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental & United Merger supposedly more serious [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental & United Merger supposedly more serious [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1MM 1K, KLM/AF Plat, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
I definitely agree that a loss of E+ would make a merged United/CO *a lot* less attractive and what others mention about award availability and 50% EQM on some fares is also scary.

Hopefully some United/CO managers are reading Flyertalk and won't risk all of us frequent flyers taking our business elsewhere :-)
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH

CO does tend to have friendlier club attendees, better service in FC and an overall better attitude. But they certainly aren't all wine and roses in the air.
You can say that again. Their wine SUCKS. Undrinkable swill.

And one more drawback: no international F cabin.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:20 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I have to agree with the upgrade issue being a large sticking point, even though I am ok with the general idea of UA+CO. On UA, at least I know that I paid my fare and I play my chances with my status and availability depending on the flight. With CO, not only is there that, but you have to pay upgrade fees too -- that's a little bit much to ask me to pay. Plus, upgrading to Hawaii generally will have this fee too, because it counts as a BusinessFirst destination.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
For all of you who haven't flown CO TRY IT! Its an outstanding airline with great service.

No need to shutter CLE, ORD is congested and EWR is congested CLE is a great reliever.
You want better wine BUY UP at the PC.
Onepass isn't the greatest BUT my free upgrades overide the negatives. If you really wanna upgrade USE MILES, I know that is like speaking a foreign language but the miles won't do ya any good sitting in your account as award levels continue to rise yearly.
I prefer UA finds a new mate only because CO is excellent and merger will hurt it. UA is a great backup just not my first choice these days. CO is. Again, for all of you who haven't given it a try. You'll know what we are talking about.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:39 pm

Programs: ex-elite, now just pay C/J myself to avoid the hassle of keeping status.
My girl friend flew it last month (transcon) and told me CO provided her with free (hot) meal. Not sandwich, but a hot tray. I was really surprised and told her, "really? I thought domestic airlines no longer provide hot meal."

Well, maybe she flew DL, I forgot... But my point is that they are not all that bad.

Another thing is, NW and DL are talking about merger and might have something firm next week.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1202..._us_whats_news
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
For all of you who haven't flown CO TRY IT! Its an outstanding airline with great service.
And something like 31 inches of space between rows in Y?

Last time I took them, I could barely make it from BOS to EWR with my knees solidly pressed into the seat in front of mine. And I'm barely 5'6".

I fly UA because of E+, and because of SWU and CR-1s and because of the hub at SFO. If the MP program gets gutted and E+ goes the way of the MRTC on AA, I'll probably spread my miles around to have more lower status on multiple alliances.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:43 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Any sort of merger activity will likely bring negative utility to us, the passengers. Remember that the whole rationalization for airline M&A is to reduce capacity and raise fares. Both are bad news for travelers.

to airline M&A
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, CO Plat. DL Silver, SPG Plat, Marriot Plat., HH Diamond, Hertz PC, many more
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
There are four major things wrong with CO Elite system right now (having been Platinum with them for nine years):

* Upgrading to Hawaii or Int'l is a bizarre nightmare that is expensive (if you are lucky) and resembles one of the inner circles of heck.

* Availability of award travel. I am amazed at how easy it is to find saver award flights on UA vs trying to find them on CO.

* 50% EQM for low cost fares. They are the only US based airline not to offer full EQM on all fares. Even DL came back from the dark side.

* No E+. OK, this one doesn't technically have anything to do with the elite system but it really does. Not getting upgrade on UA isn't the end of the world if I can have an E+ aisle or window seat. Not getting upgrade on CO is beyond uncomfortable. If you think riding E+ in UA is slumming it, just wait until your first CO transcon in coach. Miserable.

CO does tend to have friendlier club attendees, better service in FC and an overall better attitude. But they certainly aren't all wine and roses in the air.
All correct in my opinion and making me rething all my griping about United. I don't fly CO on flights over 2 hours unless International because I can risk not getting upgraded. It is worse than E-. I get off a long flight in CO economy and I wonder if I will be able to walk again. I am only 6'4"!

Saver award tickets don't exist on Continental. I have never found one...period. United is great in that regard.

No First internationally is a major negative. Business is okay, but going to Australia or Singapore First is the only way to go. Besides, I thought United was moving towards being competitive internationally. With Singapore having full cabins on the A-380 and United finally introducing true lay flat business class, why they heck would they go backwards.

I like Continental. I fly United because they have a better schedule and E+ (with that being about 80/20 the reasons). The service and attitude is better but there are a lot of negatives about Continental as it is really uncomfortable after about an hour and a half in economy. Also, if they did merge, the one big thing going for them which is more cheerful employees would most likely go right outside the window as the pink slips, relocations, seniority loss, etc. starts to roll in. CO would be better than Delta, but I'd really prefer that United grows through acquisition, not merger. I realize they don't have the cash for this, but at least then they could keep the things United has going for it which is a comfortable ride with surly employees!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
CO definitely does provide a hot meal in coach. However, I would rather have nothing to eat in E+ than a hot meal in CO's cramped Y cabin. As frequent fliers, it is sometimes easy to forget how much better E+ is than any of the other domestic's Y cabin.

And let's not even start with how CO fills middle seats with standbys (front to back, making the "Elite" section of the plane more crowded than the back).

Originally Posted by undersky
My girl friend flew it last month (transcon) and told me CO provided her with free (hot) meal. Not sandwich, but a hot tray. I was really surprised and told her, "really? I thought domestic airlines no longer provide hot meal."

Well, maybe she flew DL, I forgot... But my point is that they are not all that bad.

Another thing is, NW and DL are talking about merger and might have something firm next week.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1202..._us_whats_news
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:56 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JS1K
...Each program con learn from the other.
I suspect that will learn the bad things from each other....
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
As long as CO keeps its own management team and kicks UA's to the curb... I'd be all for it. Keeping the Star Alliance is a given, and I'm guessing CO could learn to love E+.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by WayMaker
I've had status on both United and Continental for more than twenty consecutive years. I think I have a feel for both of them.

United is my primary carrier for two reasons: A) Ease of upgrading on international flights with SWUs and to some extent, by using miles. And B) Economy Plus.

Compared to UA, upgrading international flights on Continental is such a nightmare, that I consider it impossible.

If the merger goes through in a way that the CO's upgrade system and/or the OnePass program prevails, I would probably take all my business elsewhere.

I am not pleased about the possibility of this merger. The most likely scenarios hold very few positives from my view.
I'm right with WayMaker on this.

I left CO because of its shiot intl upgrade scheme.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:04 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
plus what would happen to the United theme music? I cannot get that out of my head.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Depends on your market

I'm in NYC where United doesn't have much of a non stop selection at the present. Having just done a quadruple criss cross of the continent I've got this to add:
E+ is what keeps me with UA even though it generally means a connection. With a 36" inseam, my legs like it. Would prefer a CO integration to get a bigger presence in NYC with E+ and MP kept intact. Friends of mine have more trouble in general on CO than I have on UA notwithstanding the misery of the India call center (spoke to Breeana last night and she knew more about how to make curry dishes and less about changing a reservation then any Breeana I ever knew....) Also the 50% deduction for the lower fares on CO stinks. If UA uses CO to beef up domestic with newer planes etc, maybe substitute EWR for IAD which is a pit of despair in the old concourse it would work for us NYers.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: United 1P
Can we close down the RCC's and enjoy the Presidents Club? Better yet, keep the RCC's for all the CO fliers who don't know any better. Free drinks, here I come!

And, this would also open UA up to the AMEX platinum card (which provides access to Presidents Club lounges when you fly CO).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.