Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental & United Merger supposedly more serious [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1MM 1K, KLM/AF Plat, BA Gold, Marriott Plat

Just read in the Wall Street Journal that Continental and United are supposedly having more serious discussions about merging.

What do people think this would mean for Mileage Plus? Continental seems to have good aspects to their Mileage program. What do you think a combined program would look like?

I've actually never flown Continental -- but what people tell me -- it's a good airlines. Is this the ideal merger candidate for United?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:47 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Why not? It's as good as any. Close CLE, shrink DEN. Reconfigure IAD. Finally get access to Latin America. Get out of Skyteam and into *A. Get rid of TED. Get food onto the planes. Major downside: may lose E+.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by emma dog
Why not? It's as good as any. Close CLE, shrink DEN. Reconfigure IAD. Finally get access to Latin America. Get out of Skyteam and into *A. Get rid of TED. Get food onto the planes. Major downside: may lose E+.
Not if the elites and Globals have anything to say about losing E+. Its a godsend for alot of travelers and a major source of revenue. Buy ups at the gate generated over $167ml last year.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:59 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Would you prefer Delta? I think a deal with someone is as close as it has ever been.

Last edited by ORDSteve; Feb 6, 2008 at 5:40 pm
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:06 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I'm kind of ok with the idea of Continental, but then I haven't really flown with them so much. But from all reports here, they run a good airline. And their South American network is something that UA could use. The big issue (for us) would be how they integrate the tier levels and perks. I would hate to lose all I've accumulated over the years (since I assume UA would be the "....." in this relationship)...
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AS, CO, SPG, HGP, FPC
OOh a dream come true! Mostly compatible fleets, a slap in the face to SkyTeam (Would almost certainly have to retain membership in Star post merger to allay anti-trust concerns), huge re-entry into Latin America and secondary markets in Europe for UA, and hopefully an onboard product overhaul. One wonders if UA will continue to "be the only US airline to offer three classes of service on all International long-haul flights"?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Simply due to the possibility of more direct flights out of Logan (BOS), I would prefer DL over CO. I could then completely wean myself off of US.

M
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
If the cards are gonna fall, I'd like them to fall with DL/NW and CO/UA.

And CO/UA in *A; DL/NW already are in Skyteam.

It would be nice to have a stronger Latin America routing options.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:21 pm

Location: UA 1K 3MM, UA 1P/1K since mid '80s; CO Bronze/Silver since mid 80's, Austin, Texas
I've had status on both United and Continental for more than twenty consecutive years. I think I have a feel for both of them.

United is my primary carrier for two reasons: A) Ease of upgrading on international flights with SWUs and to some extent, by using miles. And B) Economy Plus.

Compared to UA, upgrading international flights on Continental is such a nightmare, that I consider it impossible.

If the merger goes through in a way that the CO's upgrade system and/or the OnePass program prevails, I would probably take all my business elsewhere.

I am not pleased about the possibility of this merger. The most likely scenarios hold very few positives from my view.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WayMaker
If the merger goes through in a way that the CO's upgrade system and/or the OnePass program prevails, I would probably take all my business elsewhere.

I am not pleased about the possibility of this merger. The most likely scenarios hold very few positives from my view.
I agree. OnePass is a disaster. As one FlyerTalker so aptly put it, "They don't call it NonePass for nothing". Award availability at the standard (i.e. saver) level is atrocious. You can forget about using your hard-earned UA miles if OnePass prevails.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by EndlosLuft
What do people think this would mean for Mileage Plus? Continental seems to have good aspects to their Mileage program. What do you think a combined program would look like?
Do we really need another merger thread?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, CO Plat. DL Silver, SPG Plat, Marriot Plat., HH Diamond, Hertz PC, many more
As the travel reporters have said: "when airlines merge, the only winners are the stockholders who bought the stock for a short term pop; everyone else loses." That is how I feel. I like Continental, but think they use aircraft which are too small. Continental first is great. Continental economy stinks! It is hard to say whose profile would prevail. Continental has been more profitable, but United is bigger and has more assets and passengers.

I disagree with Emma. Why scrap CLE and make DEN smaller?? Cleveland is a great alternative to Chicago where delays are the rule not the exception. DEN offers a very central hub with relatively good weather. Houston's summer electrical storms can be really miserable. Newark is Newark.

The sad part is the reporters are exactly right. Look at the stock prices of the US airlines in play. They have had dramatic increases in the last few weeks when Delta sent out the invites. The shareholders are not long-term holders of the stock, but in it for a quick profit. Meanwhile, the customers, employees, and communities served by the airlines just get the reality crammed down their throats.

By the way, I don't consider Latin America routes to be all that favorable. Those are not as profitable as Asian and European routes which are extremely profitable and United has a great presence in Asia that Continental does not. United has trimmed Latin America presumably because it is not that profitable. 10 years ago, Miami was a big airport for United and there were flights to Lima and other Latin hubs. That has shriveled up to nothing. Not sure why, but I would cede Latin America to American which is what I usually fly to L.A.

If this is inevitable, which it probably is, Continental has about the best service record of any US carrier so I'd prefer that to others like Delta. There don't seem to be any synergies between NW and UA. If E+ and MP get killed, are badly wounded, that would be awful. E+ is the best thing going at United. I'd guess that if they can quantify various aspects of their programs are profitable, then the most profitable ones would survive. I vote no!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
The 764 would be beautiful with E+ and the new UA livery.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
There are four major things wrong with CO Elite system right now (having been Platinum with them for nine years):

* Upgrading to Hawaii or Int'l is a bizarre nightmare that is expensive (if you are lucky) and resembles one of the inner circles of heck.

* Availability of award travel. I am amazed at how easy it is to find saver award flights on UA vs trying to find them on CO.

* 50% EQM for low cost fares. They are the only US based airline not to offer full EQM on all fares. Even DL came back from the dark side.

* No E+. OK, this one doesn't technically have anything to do with the elite system but it really does. Not getting upgrade on UA isn't the end of the world if I can have an E+ aisle or window seat. Not getting upgrade on CO is beyond uncomfortable. If you think riding E+ in UA is slumming it, just wait until your first CO transcon in coach. Miserable.

CO does tend to have friendlier club attendees, better service in FC and an overall better attitude. But they certainly aren't all wine and roses in the air.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:09 pm

I have sero status with CO and only fly them when no *A option.

Recently got an award ticket for a friend. It was esy to get at reduced miles. The booking engine allowed me to book 2 one way tickets (Open Jaw) easily.

Each program con learn from the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.