Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Welcome to FT!

I'd suggest you take a look at this thread for some information:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-merged.html

As far as it being worth it, I think 1K is much better than 1P. Upgrade changes are a lot higher, and you get some more personalized service. Better protection in case of irrops..
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:51 pm

i've traveled a lot, but ill admit to not being clear on what 1p is?

also... any indication on the upcoming changes w the merger?

also... when I travel LAS to IAD (2066 mi ... i get upgraded unlimited) it is longer distance than when i travel MEx IAD (1862mi...) but its an int'l upgrade so theres no status w/o miles...

lastly, id love feedback on the red carept clubs? especially mexico city..

thanks again
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
1P = Premier Executive
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
MEX RCC

Originally Posted by mrkmcnally
lastly, id love feedback on the red carept clubs? especially mexico city..
The RCC at MEX is nice. Much better than Dulles, if that's your standard. An o.k. selection of liquor -- including a couple tequilas -- and a couple types of beer. The guacamole is good, and they'll put out a few finger sandwiches and light snack food. Hard to make a meal out of it, at least when I've been there.

Last time I was there I had a hard time getting the WiFi to work in the side with the obstructed view of the runway. The other side -- facing the terminal restaurants -- worked fine.

I'm not 100% sure you can choose both sides. As a 1K I was told I could go in either, but I did see another pax directed to go in the non-runway facing side.

I've been in the MEX RCC before the LH flight and was surprised at how few people were in the lounge. Definitely not like the overcrowded EZE lounge before the IAD and FRA departures over the last few years, although there is more space at MEX.

You're a decent walk to most of the gates so don't leave too little time.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:26 am

thank you so much.... as you know its difficult in MEX to find good digs...any perspective on how it compares in quality and location to the centurion clubs there?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:34 am

Sorry...I haven't been to any lounges in MEX except the RCC.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by EZE living
Sorry...I haven't been to any lounges in MEX except the RCC.
your advocacy for it is quite important... as the site does not list liquor/beer/wine... it says... coffee/juice... therefore your exp.. is critical.

these small diferences help a person decide if its wirth it... especially for int'l travellers... thank you so much for your insight.

MM
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by mrkmcnally
i've traveled a lot, but ill admit to not being clear on what 1p is?
Just a term for Premier Executive used around here.

also... any indication on the upcoming changes w the merger?
One big change for people who fly at about your level (and mine) is that for 2012 (but not 2011), the merged company will have a Continental-like 75k qualifying level. It won't have the international upgrades of 1K, but it will be a change from right now, where there's a huge gulf between Premier Executive and 1K.

also... when I travel LAS to IAD (2066 mi ... i get upgraded unlimited) it is longer distance than when i travel MEx IAD (1862mi...) but its an int'l upgrade so theres no status w/o miles...
One of the big 1K benefits is a limited number of international upgrades, so that would help you on your MEX-IAD route or other international flights.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by John Thacker
One of the big 1K benefits is a limited number of international upgrades, so that would help you on your MEX-IAD route or other international flights.
CR-1s are valid on Mexico flights, right? Next year, 1Ps will get 4 CR-1 (confirmed, geographically restricted upgrade) certificates at 75k, and will be higher on the upgrade list than other 1Ps - a significant positive change from 2010. This year, only 1ks get CR-1.

My upgrade record as 1P this year is pretty poor, with no more that 30% of flights clearing. On the other hand, my 1k colleague clears about 75%. Success varies by routes, but we fly similar routes out of ORD, so this should perhaps give you an idea of the difference between 1K and 1P as far as domestic upgrades are concerned.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by BayAreaPilot
Check out LAX-CLE-DEN-CLE-LAX on CO. Bookable for $156.30 on continental.com leaving on the red-eye on 12/3 or 12/10.

^^^

Booked! I really appreciate it. Will be my first time on CO metal as well, I have ready of all the drawbacks but looking forward to getting some first-hand experience.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA, BA
Is it worth a MR for GS? For 1K?

My travel is down these last 1 1/2 years, currently 40,000 FF miles and only 60,000 EQM. No letter about GS requal, but then no email on the recent "enhancements" either.

Is it worth a MR? Should I go for 1K where I would need 27,000 FF miles? GS to 1P is not going to be easy!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 2P
EQM Calculation

I have 91,808 EQM for this year which is 8,192 EQM from 1k status. I have to book a trip from JFK to SFO. I was thinking of doing a layover in LAX. I was wondering if I'll reach my mark? Does anyone have suggestion on routes to maximize my miles so I can hit the next tier?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Maybe this thread needs to get stickied this time of year...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-merged.html
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
not by my math...

Originally Posted by UnitedPHLyer
I have 91,808 EQM for this year which is 8,192 EQM from 1k status. I have to book a trip from JFK to SFO. I was thinking of doing a layover in LAX. I was wondering if I'll reach my mark? Does anyone have suggestion on routes to maximize my miles so I can hit the next tier?
JFK-LAX is ~2470 miles + 500 for LAX-SFO = 2970 or 5940 R/T. Unless you book it in a class/fare for a 50% class of service bonus (which would give you about 8900 EQM), this won't do it by itself.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedPHLyer
Even with a creative routing you're not going to get 8,192 EQM in a single transcon trip.

For the miles you'll need after JFK-SFO, you can fly JFK-IAD-ORD-MKE-ORD-IAD-JFK in a single day for $166.20 which will get you 3,176 EQM. Not a great $/EQM, but gets you to 1K for less than $200.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.