FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/748738-consolidated-i-need-xxx-eqm-eqs-year-end-thread-discussion-advice-merged.html)

jwillett13 Oct 21, 2007 5:31 am

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged]

Arrgghhh....short by 751 EQMs to make 1p.
Now searching for a cheap roundtrip I can do in a half day from GSO, hopefully in the next 10 days
Any ideas?

mre5765 Oct 21, 2007 7:19 am

Originally Posted by jwillett13 (Post 8595612)
Arrgghhh....short by 751 EQMs to make 1p.
Now searching for a cheap roundtrip I can do in a half day from GSO, hopefully in the next 10 days
Any ideas?

Try e-fares.

http://www.unitedgoogleearth.com/index.php

will show you this past weekend's e-fares, and on Tuesday, you
can visit the web site again to get next weekend's e-fares.
This weekend, they were showing many fares under for $75 from GSO,
to cities that that would give you at least 751 EQMs. The only trouble
with e-fares is that you have to return Monday.

For a same day mileage run, try setting up your
my.yahoo.com page to display best fares from GSO to likely
nearby airports like ORD. However, itis unlikely you'll find anything
under $100 or $200 inside of 14 days advanced purchase.

Consider the United Mileage Plus Visa Platinum card, which will
give you EQMs. It is cheaper than even an e-fare.

United is also running a seat sale now, but again, not for inside of
14 days.

I had thought United w/ Google Earth showed non-e-fares, but it isn't
today. It would have been useful for hunting the seat sale.

Good luck.

mre5765 Oct 21, 2007 7:39 am

I also found this tool:
http://travel.travelocity.com/dreamMap.ctl

(Less cumbersome than using my.yahoo.com).

Keep in mind that US fares will count as EQMs on Mileageplus.

bmvaughn Oct 21, 2007 8:23 am

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 8595863)
Consider the United Mileage Plus Visa Platinum card, which will
give you EQMs. It is cheaper than even an e-fare.

Since it takes 6-8 weeks for those to post, wouldn't the OP be taking a risk here?

cepheid Oct 21, 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 8596139)
Since it takes 6-8 weeks for those to post, wouldn't the OP be taking a risk here?

Possibly but it really only takes about 3-4 weeks... the EQMs generally post a few days after the first statement closes, which is generally no more than 4 weeks from when you get the card. Even getting the card in early November should be OK; I wouldn't gamble on it past Nov 15.

Schwings Oct 21, 2007 4:04 pm

Desperate for 50K EQM's by year end!

Hi guys,

Just found out that United is not doing the DEQM promotion so my plans to achieve 1K status with one SIN-DEN-SIN and one SIN-ALK-SIN flight (on SQ)has been shattered.:(:(

I currently have 50K EQMs to date and 4 remaining SWUs.

Been 1k for 4 years now and dont want to lose status.

Would appreciate some suggestions on mileage runs to hit another 50K by the end of the year.

I was wondering the best bang for my buck would be to fly 2 more SIN -USA flights plus one SIN-ALK-SIN flight ? Or should I fly USA domestic or to Europe? What is the best mileage value and strategy at this time of the year?

I am open to all suggestions!! Pretty desperate here!:p

thanks very much!:D:D

Schwings

noah Oct 21, 2007 4:36 pm

I don't know quite what the market is like ex-SIN, but I'd certainly consider doing some trips in APAC for some of those miles. Does SQ match any of the low cost carriers? For that matter, you can do some cheap trips in China and get EQM on Air China so that might also be worth investigating.

That said, 50K EQM is a *significant* shortfall so you better get ready to spend some serrious time on airplanes if you want 1K!

United737522 Oct 21, 2007 4:40 pm

I don't get it. :confused: You are that short of 1K, so you don't fly that often. Yet you still want to pay for the status? Why not just save that money and start buying full fare F? You get the same basic benefits.

UAL Oct 21, 2007 4:42 pm

hmmm... do you value 1K that much? 50K that is a lot of ground to cover. I haven't done any MR so can't give give you any suggestion. I am currently at 80K with only 29 segments so you could calculate my average EQM per segment. Is 1K that important to you given that you are only half way there? You also need to tell use where is your base!

hsxagent Oct 21, 2007 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by UAL (Post 8598179)
You also need to tell use where is your base!

I assume based on his comments of suggested flights he will be in SIN.

If you need to get 50K, you need to give us more info on your schedule, how long you can stay in a place, budget, etc......

But here is a quick suggestion:

I found on .bomb SIN-ORD-FRA-ORD-SIN departing 11/9 with a return on 11/11. For $2000 with upgrade availability on all the ocean segments if using SWU's. This trip gives you over 25K EQMs all on UA metal. So if you do two of these trips 'BAM' you got 1K.

mahasamatman Oct 21, 2007 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by United737522 (Post 8598166)
Why not just save that money and start buying full fare F?

If F was 2x Coach rather than 5x or more, that might make sense. But with the huge disparity (on some routes up to 20x), upgrades still make sense.

todorovic Oct 21, 2007 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by hsxagent (Post 8598274)
But here is a quick suggestion:

I found on .bomb SIN-ORD-FRA-ORD-SIN departing 11/9 with a return on 11/11. For $2000 with upgrade availability on all the ocean segments if using SWU's. This trip gives you over 25K EQMs all on UA metal. So if you do two of these trips 'BAM' you got 1K.

Wow, this is a pretty good deal if you can upgrade all the way. And it's a lot of flying in 3 days :( (or maybe :D, depends on preferences)

UNITED959 Oct 21, 2007 9:26 pm

Scratch out the expiration date of your current 1K card, that'll do the trick. :)

JHV Oct 21, 2007 10:18 pm

Need about 15K EQM before YE. Suggestions?

I will have 79490 EQM on Nov 4 when I return from SEA-GSO-SEA. I have 2 more trips scheduled this year: SEA-HNL-SEA and SEA-PHX-SEA. Like most other UA flyers I thought there would be the double miles offer (or I would not have flown Alitalia) and I would be set. I am based in SEA. What would you suggest as the least stressful way to accomplish 1K this year? Another Chase card? I travel for a NP and the fares I look for are as low as possible. TIA.

mahasamatman Oct 21, 2007 10:21 pm

One Chase card won't do much for you. Check out Europe. Fall/winter prices are usually pretty good.