Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Equipment substitute with TED - post here [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Equipment substitute with TED - post here [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Were you in paid F or NF? Paid F would get a downgrade kit IIRC. NF you negotiate what you get...sounds like you got about the deal I got. I doubled the UG instruments plus a $100 voucher.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ytjk
The awful situation occurred Saturday, I had connecting flight on to NGO...

I had a first class ticket, was downgraded to E+. Thank god for that (I'm 6'4")

Got a $100 voucher and a Regional Uprade on the spot.

What do I ask for when I write the letter?

Wasn't especially pleased when they tried to get $5 for the BOB "Breakfast"

Cheers
ytjk
You're a 1k, they'll treat you well. Just insist that you are really pissed off, last thing they want is a 1k defecting

I would have been livid!! Transcons on Ted are unbearable. The cheapness of it all, they don't even let you have the whole can of whatever you're drinking! Its shameful. I go out of my way to avoid Ted- alternate airports, connecting in LAX to avoid nonstop IAD-LAS, etc. Sorry to hear about your misfortune!!
Old Oct 15, 2007, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Merging this thread with the other TED Substitution one.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Oct 15, 2007, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Unfortunately, this happens frequently

Happened to me once, IAD-SFO, but I was in upgraded F. Here's a thread with others' experiences:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ight=downgrade
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1k Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by starflyer
I would ask for a refund of the fare difference, but otherwise it seems they've already given you a voucher and an upgrade cert.

Did you ask for a reroute in first class, e.g. via ORD, DEN, or LAX, or on one of the US Airways nonstops? Or wasn't that possible due to flight times.
It was paid F, reroute not possible due to short connection to NGO..
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Last night UA600 PDX-ORD was downgraded form two class A320 to TED. What was surprising for me at least is that they never announced the downgrade.

My 1B in F changed to a TED middle seat. I asked to speak with the agent regarding a downgrade kit but he was just rolling his eyes and saying that we should be happy that the flight is actually leaving. I was NOT offered any compensation had I taken that flight even when I was booked in A.

I promptly took my carry on and deboarded the plane. I was already confirmed on F the following morning because there had been uncertainty whether the flight would go or not. I changed few more words with the GA who then referred me to the supervisor.

The supervisor offered to put me to Quality Inn? I obviously declined this offer because I don't stay at motels. I went to Embassy Suites instead and will mail a compensation request to WHQ with a complaint about the gate agents behavior when it comes to the downgrade kit. This process was not handled the correct way.

Last edited by holtju2; Oct 20, 2007 at 10:33 am
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Last night (10/18) UA 236 SAN-IAD had a TED 320 swapped in.

It was about 45 minutes late leaving and had one seat left--last row middle 26E--when I got to the gate.

I was booked on a later SAN-DEN-IAD connection in NF both legs and but decided to save three hours and take the cattle car.

Guess what--I survived.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Back in January, the 1K desk called me nearly 36 hours before my ORD-RIC flight to inform me of the dreaded mainline A320 -> Ted A320 swap and to tell me that my confirmed upgrade would be unavailable.

The agent let me change from COS-ORD-RIC to COS-DEN-IAD-RIC and even rebooked me in full C on DEN-IAD. ^
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by holtju2
Last night UA600 PDX-ORD was downgraded form two class A320 to TED. What was surprising for me at least is that they never announced the downgrade.
I was on that equipment coming into PDX on UA371 (as we already figured out in another thread). Interesting that they did the same thing at ORD at didn't announce the substitution either, and then as were were boarding announced twice over the PA that we should be thankful we got the plane at all. I can't really complain - I was supposed to be on the later flight which was looking like it might cancel, and took the middle seat in cattle class because I figured it might be my only chance to get home last night.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by redburgundy
I was booked on a later SAN-DEN-IAD connection in NF both legs and but decided to save three hours and take the cattle car.
You were booked in NF I was booked in A. There is a difference between NF and A.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:34 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Although presently a rumor but I've heard the same details from everyone flight flight crews to FA's to GA's... Ted is going to morph into something else or go away entirely in January 2008. Either go away entirely or be equipped with F class seats.

As there is no marketing or any efforts to differentiate the Ted product anymore, operations is mixing them into the mainline fleet whenever necessary. I predict there will be many more Ted substitutions as we get closer to January and the seating begins to match up with the rest of the A320 fleet.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 8:03 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Reading a thread over at airliners.net, I see more Ted substitutions!

ORD-BUF
MDT-ORD
DEN-BOS
ORD-BOS

and.... IAD-SFO
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Red Carpet, First Class and No First Class

Last week I was flying out of ORD on an upgraded ticket. I had checked in online, my BP said "First Class" and had Seat 2D. I get to the airport, get to the gate right as the GA is starting to board the plane, and she calls "Global Services and 1Ks are now invited to board through the Red Carpet." After a couple individuals board (elite-lite flight, nobody waiting or making their way to the Red Carpet), I make my way through to the Red Carpet, assuming she forgot to mention First Class as well; my BP is scanned through, no problem, and as I'm getting on the jet-bridge, I hear her announce, "Right now we are boarding 1Ks and GS only." I'm somewhat embarrassed, as it was obvious she was making the announcement about me. Once I get on the plane, I look around, confused, and realized that our 737 (I think) had been swapped for a Ted-ified A320, with no first class.

Am I expected to know that we had a plane substitution, and that my First Class BP really isn't for First Class anymore, and that therefore I shouldn't be allowed to board through the Red Carpet?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't read too much into it. While I wasn't there I doubt the agent was referring to you specifically. S/he would probably have turned you away then, and it's not your fault for not knowing.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

The bigger bummer is the TED plane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.