Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Equipment substitute with TED - post here [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Equipment substitute with TED - post here [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
SFO-DEN 8 Oct UA278

I knew we were in trouble when our SFO-DEN BP came out of Mr. EZ as 8E/8F, vs. the 4C/4D reserved. Our connecting DEN-BOS came out OK as 2A/2B.

Uncle TED shoved his way into this leg, vs. the scheduled 757. So there were 24 very unhappy F customers, and an additional 30 who were seatless due to the change of gauge. They asked for volunteers, and managed to get out only 45 mintues late.

As a 1K I was eventually able to get an E+ aisle, separated from my travelling companion (1P) who got an E+ window in a different row.

This was a W fare, and I had upgraded both of us using miles. I called MP this morning to get some miles back (or preferably 2 CR-1s). We'll see what they do...
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:52 am

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
I, too, had an ORD-DCA switch to Ted in late September. I was flying standby, so the extra capacity of the Ted A320 vs. the Mainline A320 worked to my advantage.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
UA 521 MCI-DEN. Swapped from A319 to Ted A320.

Yesterday, when I OLCI'ed, it should have dawned on me. The seatmap still showed the A319, with me in 12F, but when I went to upgrade my next segment, I noticed some verbiage about "one-class service" on MCI-DEN. I figured it was a glitch, since I was still looking at a normal 319 seatmap with only the usual E+ rows visible.

But since I wasn't trying to upgrade the 319, I forgot about it.

Even boarding today, in the dark at 6AM, it didn't dawn on me until I was actually in the cabin. Of course, row 12 on Ted is in E-, so me and the other Row 12 pax had to swim upstream, exit the aircraft, and get seats reassigned. (Thankfully, the exit rows were available and we all received seats and blocked middles with no trouble.)

Other than the fact that I should have picked up on the Ted swap yesterday, I actually liked Ted 11F a lot more than my usual 16F (752) on this segment. In general, I like the A320's, and since I usually don't upgrade MCI-DEN anyway, Theodore is okay with me. Of course, if they're really going to start running 319's on it with me in 12F, that'd be fine too...
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:34 am

Ua420 10/05/2007 Den-mci

downgraded
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:36 am

Ua333 Mci-den 10/07/2007

752 to a 32S

reduced seats got me a reroute to ORD, travel credits, and similar ultimate return to PDX.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:41 am

Angry Ua488 09/22/2007 Ord-btv

Downgraded

319 to 32S
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Had a substitution on UA 626 ORD-DCA on 9/29. Saturday evening so the plane was almost empty. There was a couple that it seemed had purchased F and were a little bewildered when arriving on the plane.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hmmm. Theodore likes barbecue? That's at least 3 different Ted sightings at MCI this week, which means there are likely even more.

It's enough to make me go to the flyted.com page and validate that MCI hasn't been added to their map. (It hasn't.)
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:45 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by pinniped
Hmmm. Theodore likes barbecue?
Probably orders it RARe!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SamZeb
Monday 9/17 -- UA822 from IAD-BOS was downgraded to TED. I had purchased a HUP (A-class) ticket and got downgraded. Asked for a Service Adjustment Form -- none given...finally after complaining I received a CR-1.
Absolutely enraging. I would demand accommodation on a carrier in F, otherwise a CR-1 plus the cost difference between an HUP and the cheapest coach at my time of booking.

More disgusting UA behavior, demonstrating the disaster Ted is. I was Ted-ified EWR-ORD on paid F once. I flew AA. UA REFUSED to endorse my QUP ticket to AA ("It's a free upgrade"). I just refunded and bought F on AA.

Despicable.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Absolutely enraging. I would demand accommodation on a carrier in F, otherwise a CR-1 plus the cost difference between an HUP and the cheapest coach at my time of booking.

More disgusting UA behavior, demonstrating the disaster Ted is. I was Ted-ified EWR-ORD on paid F once. I flew AA. UA REFUSED to endorse my QUP ticket to AA ("It's a free upgrade"). I just refunded and bought F on AA.

Despicable.
Two things:

(1) I hate it when UA gives me attitude when I actually want to sit in first class when I've bought an -UP fare. They offer them; we pay extra to get them. United markets them as first-class tickets. I'm well aware of the fact that they aren't the same as true F for certain purposes (e.g., EQM's), but I do expect my butt to be in an F seat when I buy one. Yet whenever irregular ops strikes, I get hassle and pushback about getting rebooked into an F seat. In several cases, UA has taken upgrade instruments and then I've gotten them back by writing later, but it's never seamless and easy.

(2) United has several gaping holes in their processes for handling unexpected (and expected) Tedifications. On an unexpected Tedification like those in this thread, refunds and/or downgrade kits should be standard. United shouldn't act surprised when someone who bought an F ticket is unhappy with their 21E seat assignment and half-can of Diet Coke. And on normal, expected Ted routes, someone holding an F/J ticket should at least get an E+ seat. Currently, no elite status...no E+ seat. You could be on a $7,000 international F ticket, and you'd need to feed the chicken $29 to stay out of the back end of steerage on your Ted flight.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 4:22 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
October 3, DCA-ORD, 8:45 am departure

I upgraded by miles, but had a connection ORD-SEA that was also upgraded.
Anyone ask for a partial miles refund and get it? Strictly speaking, the official answer would be ORD-SEA upgrade is the same miles cost, so you're not entitled to anything. But a "one time exception" could be granted.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Ted decided to take a trip from IAD to ORD last night 9:45p (UA 363.) Ted was so happy about it he didn't even mind that the NRSAs a row up from me cuddling and making out for the entire flight He was willing to give me two glass of Diet Coke, though

On a side note, this being my first Ted flight, I appreciate ::RAR:: a lot more now....
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k Marriott Titanium
PHL-SFO Ted?

The awful situation occurred Saturday, I had connecting flight on to NGO...

I had a first class ticket, was downgraded to E+. Thank god for that (I'm 6'4")

Got a $100 voucher and a Regional Uprade on the spot.

What do I ask for when I write the letter?

Wasn't especially pleased when they tried to get $5 for the BOB "Breakfast"

Cheers
ytjk
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:53 pm

I would ask for a refund of the fare difference, but otherwise it seems they've already given you a voucher and an upgrade cert.

Did you ask for a reroute in first class, e.g. via ORD, DEN, or LAX, or on one of the US Airways nonstops? Or wasn't that possible due to flight times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.